Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Categories

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
This discussion was created from comments split from: seeing is believing?.

Comments

• SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

And this is Buddhism for beginners??? Phew ... :dunce:

lobsterhow
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

You're right, Advanced ideas might have been better.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2014

@SarahT‌, not always...

There are two factors:
    (One) the discussion begins appropriately for a 'Buddhism for beginners' topic, but then comments bring in more complex matters to consider, regarding the original point, which go beyond a preliminary basic discussion -

OR -

(two) People are lazy, negligent or forgetful or merely not mindful about which forum they need to post in....
    'Buddhism for Beginners' is the default option, and I am constantly shifting threads to more suitable locations, because people don't pay attention.... ;) .

edited September 2014

The options here are a bit muddled though, and the Beginners forum comes under "Your practice" so it's a bit unclear.

Why not add a forum for "General discussion"?

PS I still have no idea what "Modern Buddhism" means! As opposed to "old-fashioned Buddhism"? ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Maybe we should add @Linc to the mix.... :) .

@federica said:
    Maybe we should add Linc to the mix.... :) .

Yes, that would be good. A lot of comparable forums have too many sub-forums IMO, but I think this one would benefit from a quick overhaul of structure and adding 1 or 2 more.

My suggestion:

Beginners discussion;
    General discussion;
    Advanced discussion

Meditation and practice ( though that might be redundant );

Then the miscellaneous ones like Arts + Writing, Comparative Religion, General Banter, Members only.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Although I am not pushing for it, I always thought we would benefit from sub-forums dedicated to the main branches of Buddhism.

edited September 2014

@vinlyn said:
    Although I am not pushing for it, I always thought we would benefit from sub-forums dedicated to the main branches of Buddhism.

I wondered about that. The only difficulty might be agreeing what those main branches are, which schools they include, and where to put Secular Buddhism. ;)
    Also I sense there are quite a few members here who wouldn't associate themselves with a particular branch, or even necessarily the tree.

Linc, is it technically difficult to re-structure the sub-forums?

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

I think the category structure communicates something about the intention of the site. To add categories for sects is the antithesis of that intention.

We have a "general" category, it's called "General Banter". :)

EarthninjahowlobsterJeffrey

@Linc said:
    I think the category structure communicates something about the intention of the site. To add categories for sects is the antithesis of that intention.
    We have a "general" category, it's called "General Banter". :)

"General Banter" sounds like general chat to me, like a lounge or tea-room function.

I get your discomfort with the idea of sect categories, but I still think the current structure is muddled and could do with an overhaul.

I assumed you would value customer feedback. ;)

• Does it really matter which category things are in? Why the need to pigeonhole? I must confess I rarely look at the category.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

What about a BUDDHISM 404 for those of us who feel a bit lost?

edited September 2014

@poptart said:
    Does it really matter which category things are in? Why the need to pigeonhole? I must confess I rarely look at the category.

The categories don't bother me personally as I've got used to the muddle. I was thinking more of people coming in new, and of Federica who has to move threads around on a regular basis because people aren't sure where to start them.

It's about making the forum structure more user-friendly, easier to manage, less idiosyncratic.