Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Studying meditation

From another thread.

Reading books and learning the basic teachings is a good start. Although, I would say that for me, doing actual daily sitting meditation practice has been more helpful than reading any number of books, by far!

:clap: .

Oh yeah. Me too.

But and it is big butt . . . one must realise the value of meditation and be ready for practice. I have done years of study and am happy to admit I have barely scratched the sutra surface . . .

It is I would suggest useful to use study mindfully or as an offering to the three jewels. How?
Well keep your books, study kindle/tablet on a techno shrine. Bow, offer your study to the alleviation of ignorance. Sit for some moments before your virtual tablet/shrine. Begin study . . .
http://technobuddhist.wordpress.com

OM YA HA HUM

:wave: .

Chaz

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Starting yet another thread for the sake of it, lobster....? :rolleyes: .

ChazEarthninjalobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@lobster said:
    From another thread.
    Reading books and learning the basic teachings is a good start. Although, I would say that for me, doing actual daily sitting meditation practice has been more helpful than reading any number of books, by far!

I fail to see why both activities, studying and sitting meditation, should be mutually exclusive.
    Both complement each other and a decent Buddhist practice should allow enough time for both.
    The theory enrichens the meditative experience, and the sitting practice puts the theory into perspective.

As to Ingram's book, I have downloaded it to read on the plane, so I can't comment on him yet.

lobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Meditate with study & contemplation.
    Study with contemplation & meditation.
    Contemplate with meditation & study.

To believe that one is more helpful than another is to
    not see how each actually complements the other.

lobsterBuddhadragonJeffrey
  • Thanks guys.

You have provided the point of this thread. Study and meditation are potentially part of the same awareness.

Meditation in the formal 'sit like a lotus' form or 'walk like a Buddha' manner may not be open to us for a variety of reasons. That is OK, traditionally the Buddhas closet, oops I mean closest, companion did not meditate, until quite late in the game . . .

I would suggest that meditation is the pinnacle of Buddhist practice but there are other ways to be on the path . . . I believe there are 78 000 Dharmas or as many teachings as the leaves in a forest. The studious will know . . .

By turning study into a ritual offering or participation in the path, we are resonating with the three jewels.

I would suggest that formal movement practices such as Tai Chi/Qi Ong and yoga. Formal devotion practices such as prostrations. Sound practices such as mantra, dana in the form of supporting the Sangha/community and so on are all potentially beneficial.

A being seduced by Facebook faffle, my perfect pony, the ultimate cushion collection or my little world . . . oh how it whirls . . . leads to change and death. Eventually it leads to knowledge and learning but is the slow and ignorant way . . .

Dharma is the short cut.

rohitBuddhadragonHamsakaSarahT
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@lobster said:
    Thanks guys.

You have provided the point of this thread. Study and meditation are potentially part of the same awareness.

Meditation in the formal 'sit like a lotus' form or 'walk like a Buddha' manner may not be open to us for a variety of reasons.

>

I am genuinely happy you seem to have found the answers you sought @lobster‌. Sounds like it's all good now....

This discussion has been closed.