Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Have I got it right or Have I got it wrong?

I felt a need to collect and summarise my thoughts – so that I could present them for assessment and perhaps advice if those thoughts are off track, or missing things I need to consider. Here is that summary. My thanks to those who see and read.

Buddhism is a way (the way) to live our lives – while we seek the reason (the path) for our lives on earth - the design of life – the reward is (enlightenment). Before (enlightenment) comes understanding, which develops – progresses - dependent on (the way) and (the path). And so (the way) will better enable us to follow (the path) towards understanding and finally – (enlightenment).

(The way) and (the path), were first discovered and practised by Gautama Buddha. Through his life of meditation, he achieved understanding and, following the path that he saw in front of him – finally achieved (enlightenment) – he came to discover and embrace the power that created the design of life. In his compassion Gautama Buddha passed on (the way) and explained (the path) to (enlightenment) to his followers.

As buddhists we are the Buddhas today followers – living (the way) and seeking (the path), obtaining guidance from buddhist teachers. Meditation is an important part of (the way) - looking inwards and outwards – helping us to be happy and compassionate – and to understand the path - but it is for each of us alone to discover (enlightenment) in the fullness of time. And in the meantime enjoy our lives and help others to do the same.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Enlightenment isn't a destination. It's not a place. It's a state of being, a changed existence.
    It's available any time you want it, it's not out of reach, except we still permit our Minds to be clouded by longing. So we fail to grasp it.
    Only by letting go, can we truly hold it.

Shoshin
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

More practice, less credulity.

Shoshindelboyfab
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited November 2014

Pretty ok. :) . Except that Nibbana is not

the power that created the design of life.

Nibbana is merely understanding the nature of the self.

Otherwise it is a top notch explanation to start from. Now for you to discover and fill in/expand the meaning of the different parts of your explanation.

Best of luck and ask a lot!... and don't believe all the answers, only the right ones.
    ;)

/Victor

Shoshin
  • @delboyfab I think you did a good job with "Buddhism is a way to live our lives" and the ending summary of "it is for each of us alone to discover enlightenment in the fullness of time" but for the rest, it depends on what type of practice or branch of Buddhism you follow.

Buddha "discovered" the dharma like Newton "discovered" gravity or Einstein "discovered" relativity. It was there all along, but Buddha found a way to describe and solve the equation of suffering that resonated through his own culture and all the way down to today.

How to put that great insight into practice and what to expect from it, now that's where Buddhists have been debating and disagreeing with each other since even before Buddha's death. For instance, most here would quibble with your explanation of enlightenment, although funny enough, the Arahants or disciples of Buddha would probably find less to disagree with.

Shoshin
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Welcome delboyfab,

Always good to bring your mind home to the what and the why of the here and now...

I think the only thing buddhism really should be seen as is a way to come to terms with what we really are, and deal with the way we cause, and will continue to cause ourselves dukkha (suffering/frustration) by acting in the way we have done, and do out of ignorance and repeating habitual patterns of behaviour.

You're already buddha btw - you don't become it! You're it or your not, or maybe your both it and your not ... \ lol / ... Transforming your self-consciousness and the nature of self-awareness through meditation and understanding the truth of what the historical buddha taught is a real bonus.

As @federica alluded to above - you only really 'get it' when you 'let it all go', including achieving enlightenment - it's here and now for you to see

But if you want an exercise to help you achieve enlightenment faster here's a koan for you to meditate on: What is left when there is no right?

Shhh those of you who know the answer to this one! However, PM me if you do...

ShoshinBuddhadragonVictorious
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Cinorjer said:

Buddha "discovered" the dharma like Newton "discovered" gravity or Einstein "discovered" relativity. It was there all along, but Buddha found a way to describe and solve the equation of suffering that resonated through his own culture and all the way down to today.

Just to clarify, it was my understanding that Buddha stated that the path had been found and walked before. He re-discovered it. Or am I wrong?

delboyfabanataman
  • @federica @genkaku @Victorious @cinorjer @anataman @‌ Bunks
    Thank you friends - you have straightened me out - confidence is returning. Practice will follow.

• @Bunks said:

Some schools of Buddhism (some very ancient ones) postulated a whole string of Buddhas, but that isn't my expertise and I'm sure a more scholarly Theravada Buddhist here can fill you in on which sutta to look it up.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited November 2014

@delboyfab said:
    Buddhism is a way (the way) to live our lives – while we seek the reason (the path) for our lives on earth - the design of life – the reward is (enlightenment). Before (enlightenment) comes understanding, which develops – progresses - dependent on (the way) and (the path). And so (the way) will better enable us to follow (the path) towards understanding and finally – (enlightenment).

(The way) and (the path), were first discovered and practised by Gautama Buddha. Through his life of meditation, he achieved understanding and, following the path that he saw in front of him – finally achieved (enlightenment) – he came to discover and embrace the power that created the design of life. In his compassion Gautama Buddha passed on (the way) and explained (the path) to (enlightenment) to his followers.

Buddhism is a way to live our lives, but not while we seek anything.

The Path is not something that happens while you're looking for something else.

The Path is all there is, and Enlightenment/Nirvana (big words, boy, let's humbly settle for inner peace or peace of mind) are, like @federica said above, a state of being.
    It's not some far-away Heaven to be attained, rather, a skillful psychological disposition you choose to be in every single day of your life.
    Your choices, the actions you choose to carry out, and the thoughts you choose to entertain, create your heaven or your hell.

As to the "power that created the design of life," the Buddha couldn't care less about metaphysical quandaries.
    He did not care where we come from or where we go to.
    His system revolved around the cessation of dukkha in the here and now.
    He had a rather pragmatic approach to life.

Meditation is an important tool to make you more aware of the present moment, and thus avoid the pitfalls of obssessively ruminating over the past, or anxiously worrying about the future.
    It also helps you become more observant of your thoughts, not get too carried away by the emotions they trigger and moderate your interactions in your everyday reality.

Also, you need to use your logic a lot to see reality for what it is, not to get attached to your own personal conception of how you would like it to be, and simply accept things the way they are.

Most importantly: Buddhism is a path meant to be trodden and put into practice, not a high-brow theory to embellish your social repartees.

delboyfab
  • Thank you @DhammaDragon , Thank you @Bunks , Thank you @Cinorjer , Thank you all again. Thank you for the time and thought you have given to me and for explaining the path and for dispelling my confusion. I am so glad that I asked for the help so willingly given.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I hope the comments help, @delboyfab.
    You just have to find the way to make the theory add up in your personal life.
    We all may have different voices.
    You must find your own. The one that works for you.

delboyfabanatamanBunks