Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is this a sign of "progress"?

ZenshinZenshin VeteranEast Midlands UK Veteran

I've been practicing meditation for three and a half years, recently I've got past the psychological barrier of only being able to sit for 25 minutes and unless I'm rather fatigued I can easily sit for 30 or 40 minutes.

The thing is in the last couple of days I've been getting strong feelings of happiness and joy during my sits it starts out with mild happiness and spreads upwards into more stronger joyful feelings. I'd like to ask experienced Theravadin meditators is this normal?

I know its not Jhana joy as there is no nimitta.

Basically I'm just wondering whats going on as its happening time I sit (not that I'm complaining).

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'm clueless too - What fun!

Just observe, accept and let it run its course.
    Expect nothing, just enjoy.

ZenshinKundo
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Yep - enjoy!

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Any relief of suffering is progress. Good for you :) and definitely let yourself enjoy. Also, let yourself let go of it, let yourself welcome it, say goodbye to it, and just know it is there.

Zenshin

And don't let ayatana distract you too much!

Zenshin
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

@anataman‌ I had to google ayatana, I'll try not to.

anataman
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Hi, @Lonely_Traveller!
    I would not try to label the experience, nor overthink it too much, if I were you.
    Just relax and go back to the cushion each day as usual.

The notion of progress is very tricky: today you feel elated, and maybe tomorrow some event in your life drags you a couple of squares back all over again.

A good sign, to me, would probably be how much my meditation experience reflects overall in my everyday life.
    Progress to me would imply suffering slackening its hold, my being able to subdue my temper in given circumstances, or how able I am to put my beliefs into practice.

Just my thought, of course, but congratulations on your high-spirited experience!

Zenshinlobster

Sometimes the cushion is sometimes just a little too soft and you will have to become more hardened to your self!

I looked at Icrontic NB sister site tonight, after looking at other threads - it really is a very cool site but now I know who I am in the make believe world AKA NBies!

I AM now SOULDESTROYER! ANATAMAN has evolved @linc please evolve, like you did for dhammamom to DhammaDragon

...\lol/...

Oh well it didn't arise during my metta sit tonight so I guess its gone, I did have strong feelings of metta and goodwill though. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

anatamanHamsaka
  • @Lonely_Traveller said:
    I think I've ended up smiling at myself.

:)

It is not unexpected. Monkey mind is no doubt calmed and pleased with it . . . so in that sense progress. If gone and smiling still possible, then we can say progress.

I would remind us all that such experiences become more subtle, of less intensity but more depth. The important thing is to allow monkey mind to not grasp but smilingly let go . . .

B)

Zenshin
  • What's "nimitta"?

• Bliss. surpasses all understanding
    When I was initiated in it - Every sell in my body just cried out "more"

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    @Lonely_Traveller:
    It wasn't there yesterday. Maybe it's there today.
    Remember that in the Enlightenment job description states: awareness that reality is always changing.
    Be acceptant of whatever is today.
    Make today beautiful for you and those around you.
    Zenshin
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

It will be back. And it will go but be back :) "It" has a mind of it's own. It's wonderful that it came at all, when ya think about it.

Zenshin
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

@Lonely_Traveller said:
    Oh well it didn't arise during my metta sit tonight so I guess its gone, I did have strong feelings of metta and goodwill though. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

When you have been there you can always find it again. But do not make the cultivation about getting there. Continue as before. You are not done yet I suspect?

But no harm in enjoying a little. Just dont become a junky. :smiley:

/Victor

lobsterZenshinDavidBuddhadragon

BLISS JUNKIES! Yes I suppose they must exist!

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited November 2014

@Lonely_Traveller said:
    I've been practicing meditation for three and a half years, recently I've got past the psychological barrier of only being able to sit for 25 minutes and unless I'm rather fatigued I can easily sit for 30 or 40 minutes.

The thing is in the last couple of days I've been getting strong feelings of happiness and joy during my sits it starts out with mild happiness and spreads upwards into more stronger joyful feelings. I'd like to ask experienced Theravadin meditators is this normal?

I know its not Jhana joy as there is no nimitta.

Basically I'm just wondering whats going on as its happening time I sit (not that I'm complaining).

That is "joy and rapture" or whatever you want to call it. If by nimitta you mean bright lights, this is not a universal occurrence. Some people have them and some don't.

Does this sound familiar?

"For a person endowed with virtue, consummate in virtue, there is no need for an act of will, 'May freedom from remorse arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that freedom from remorse arises in a person endowed with virtue, consummate in virtue.

"For a person free from remorse, there is no need for an act of will, 'May joy arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that joy arises in a person free from remorse.

"For a joyful person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May rapture arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that rapture arises in a joyful person.

"For a rapturous person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May my body be serene.' It is in the nature of things that a rapturous person grows serene in body.

"For a person serene in body, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I experience pleasure.' It is in the nature of things that a person serene in body experiences pleasure.

"For a person experiencing pleasure, there is no need for an act of will, 'May my mind grow concentrated.' It is in the nature of things that the mind of a person experiencing pleasure grows concentrated.

"For a person whose mind is concentrated, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I know & see things as they actually are.' It is in the nature of things that a person whose mind is concentrated knows & sees things as they actually are.

"For a person who knows & sees things as they actually are, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I feel disenchantment.' It is in the nature of things that a person who knows & sees things as they actually are feels disenchantment.

"For a person who feels disenchantment, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I grow dispassionate.' It is in the nature of things that a person who feels disenchantment grows dispassionate.

"For a dispassionate person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I realize the knowledge & vision of release.' It is in the nature of things that a dispassionate person realizes the knowledge & vision of release.

"In this way, dispassion has knowledge & vision of release as its purpose, knowledge & vision of release as its reward. Disenchantment has dispassion as its purpose, dispassion as its reward. Knowledge & vision of things as they actually are has disenchantment as its purpose, disenchantment as its reward. Concentration has knowledge & vision of things as they actually are as its purpose, knowledge & vision of things as they actually are as its reward. Pleasure has concentration as its purpose, concentration as its reward. Serenity has pleasure as its purpose, pleasure as its reward. Rapture has serenity as its purpose, serenity as its reward. Joy has rapture as its purpose, rapture as its reward. Freedom from remorse has joy as its purpose, joy as its reward. Skillful virtues have freedom from remorse as their purpose, freedom from remorse as their reward.

"In this way, mental qualities lead on to mental qualities, mental qualities bring mental qualities to their consummation, for the sake of going from the near to the Further Shore."

Cetana Sutta: Act of Will

@Victorious said:
    But no harm in enjoying a little. Just dont become a junky.

I'm a firm believer that the notion of progress gets in the way of our practice.
    We may think that we're pretty far into the path, until the next row with our husband or petty household problem reboots us back to prologue.

So does the attachment to whatever pleasant sensation is derived from our meditation sitting, no matter how harmless it might be.

The momentary elation is just a point in time.
    What really matters, in my opinion, is how firmly we can stand in the face of affliction through the development of whatever homeshift wisdom we derive from our practice.
    How our practice braces us for life on the everyday battlefield.
    The rest is smoke.

lobsterRowan1980pegembaraShoshin
  • ^^^ Tee Hee

Outstanding. :+1:

Me iz always beginner. Ain't it the truth [lobster hangs head in shame]
    Bliss or miss . . . back to the practice. It is a plan!

@DhammaDragon said:
    I'm a firm believer that the notion of progress gets in the way of our practice.

So true and now I know that . . . I feel some progress can be made . . .

DOH! :expressionless:

No matter what, it's always back to the cushion, @lobster!
    I've been missing your cushions, by the way :)

edited November 2014

@pegembara‌, alas no - I think it was just run of the mill joy.

@lobster - yeah wheres the cushions!?

Buddhadragon