Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pray for the Children...

2»

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@SarahT said: "...Perhaps it is too late for some of these folk - they have been too damaged - and society needs to protect itself. But that doesn't stop me from feeling compassion that they are so damaged. Not sure what action I can take - I don't speak the right languages - but I can at least refrain from judging when I have never experienced what they have to drive them to these extremes."

>

All of what you said was excellent. We also have to consider just how much of a rush that has to come in the aftermath of such actions, to keep themselves from letting a single careful, introspective thought about it come and wedge its way into their consciousness, and keep their pride intact so that they can keep on justifying those horrendous events.

• @SarahT. In many parts of the Islamic world particularly tribal areas young boys learn the Koran by heart. The explanation of what they learn is given by the mullah. Its nothing like religious study as we know it. Students are not asked or invited to share their opinions. Many of them can recite but nor read the Koran. I have seen this.

• "The way a person does one thing is the way they do everything"
    Zen saying

Being kind is everything.

BunkssilverRowan1980Nirvana
  • We can get angry that the Western media labels them as Muslims but the truth is, they have called themselves Muslims and pray to the direction of the Kaaba as we do.

And in our midst, we too have a fair number of young Muslims who have signed up with the militants who call themselves Islamic State in Iraq and Syria to fight fellow Muslims of the Shia persuasion. Some have been killed.

While we try to figure out new security laws to contain these militants when they return, we already have a slew of laws to regulate our lives as Muslims – just like Pakistan and the Talibans when they ran Afghanistan.

We also have an Islamist party that believes the solution to what blights modern life is a criminal law from 6th century Arabia that prescribes whippings, stoning and death by decapitation for major offences.

All in the name of Islam.

We rail against those who kill in the name of Islam but it is fine that we can exact justice using such punishment in the name of Islam?

For the Islamist parties, their brightest minds are put to the task of figuring out Islamic laws and punishment rather than working out rehabilitation, mercy and charity for all.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/islam-needs-heroes-not-zeroes-who-kill-in-its-name

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2014

@lobster said:
    The Sufi, Ismaili and Ahmidhya Moslems are often shunned and yet they have teachings and practices based around love, compassion, education and charity that put the Dalai Lama to shame.

If you're saying most Muslims are decent people and we shouldn't demonise Islam, yes of course. But that does nothing to diminish the sense of outrage I feel. I feel we're in danger here of rationalising away the awfulness of what has happened so we can cope with it a bit better.
    I'm not pretending that outrage is a skillful way to feel and I'll deal with it, but to me not feeling outrage would be even worse. For me part of it is the sheer obscenity of using a weapon like the AK on children, it fires a heavy 7.62mm round at high velocity, those will punch through 1/4 inch steel plate so imagine what they will do to a child's body.

silver
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

@karasti said:
    if we all thought and believed the same we'd have nothing to talk about!

Reminds me of Douglas Adams' observation in one of his Hitchhiker books - that humans only talk to stop their brains from working ;)

:heart:

lobsterRowan1980Toshkarasti
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Then yesterday morning this happens in Far North Queensland.

The sad thing is that as soon as I heard about it I was almost sure they were going to be an indigenous family.

The rate of child abuse and neglect amongst indigenous Australians isnfar greater than non indigenous Australians.

I just don't know what to say.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-19/cairns-stabbing-eight-children-dead-after-manoora-stabbing/5979452
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

I agree that 'condemnation' is wayyyy too strong a word for what happens here. I felt a strong reaction when I read it. We're all trying hard to process the painful stuff and conflicts, and it fans the flames to characterize them as worse than they are.

As for Buddhism being about unconditional love and compassion, I'm sure it is but I'm not going to fake what I don't feel. Buddhism is also about acceptance of your state of being in the moment, and if it is burning with rage and disgust and sorrow, then the Buddha would say 'that is'. Acting any other way, or saying anything more acceptable would be a lie, and that's not OK either.

I just feel numb reading about the children stabbed in Queensland. I'm all out of outrage.

Buddhadragon
    The mother of the children has been charged. She killled seven of her own kids and one neice. Their 20 year old brother came home and found them all. Imagine that
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Bunks said:
    The mother of the children has been charged. She killled seven of her own kids and one neice. Their 20 year old brother came home and found them all. Imagine that

>

And it isn't really the first time things this horrific happen - like that woman in Texas years ago, I think she killed 4 of her own? And the school shootings -- so darned many times, it turns out they're on some sort of psychological/psychiatric type drug - antidepressants.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@SarahT is an advocate of bringing Mental illness to public attention, to be acknowledged, recognised, and treated with sympathy, understanding and acceptance, as a reality, not as a stigma, a separation of people, an ostracising trait.... I agree, and wholeheartedly support it too.
    There convoluted issues and events which led to this tragedy, may well turn out to be a far bigger indication of social/environmental responsibility, than just the initial factor of "Mother stabs own children then herself."

SarahTRowan1980lobsterHamsaka

@silver said:
    And it isn't really the first time things this horrific happen - like that woman in Texas years ago, I think she killed 4 of her own? And the school shootings -- so darned many times, it turns out they're on some sort of psychological/psychiatric type drug - antidepressants.

Andrea Yates (sorry for some reason I can't post a link) is the Texas woman who killed all five of her children one morning. She'd had depression to begin with, and the pregnancies really exacerbated it, causing psychosis. She was very isolated, in a religious community that did not recognize depression as an illness (or recognize it as anything 'real'). The kind of inner hell that lead to her deliberately drowning each child one by one (including an 8 year old who fought to escape) is beyond most of us.

The kid that shot up the gradeschool in Connecticut was previously known to be mentally ill, as was the kid that shot the senator in Texas.

Mental illness does carry a stigma. It's like we need to not just stop at the stigma part, need to not turn away and be courageous enough to look further. At the center of these atrocities is a person who genuinely believes they are doing what needs to be done. That's not all that hard to relate with.

The ISIS 'soldiers' or whatever they're calling themselves genuinely see their actions as the right response, and they are validated right left and center by their fellows. They are still congratulating each other. How does an individual (because the children were shot by individuals) get into such a paradigm that it becomes righteous to kill children?

Rowan1980SarahT

Our ancestors lived in hunter gatherer societies where children were born and raised in a group environment.

Unfortunately in this day and age women are too often left to raise kids alone with no family or group support.

It's another downfall of the capitalist system......

silverRowan1980mmoBuddhadragon

Yeah, there is a downside to the 'nuclear family'. Isolation.

I 'live' with my son, DIL, granddaughter and their two same age friends. I have my own house, but we're all on the same property. I LOVE IT. For more reasons than it helps with the bills, and gives them all a break financially. We are a big lumpy family.

This living arrangement is becoming more common, especially since 2008 when the economy went to hell in a handbasket. Kids moved back home, or their parents moved in with them, or a bunch of unrelated 'kids' sharing a house.

I never feel 'alone', which I would be as I'm unmarried and my kids are adults. It's a comfort, even though we are completely independent. I did the 'nuclear family' thing all my life up until now, so it's only now I realize how isolating and lonely the nuclear family can be. Especially when children are young and need constant hands on care. The parents can get to feeling so isolated, out of step.

Bunks
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

@pegembara, I cannot see your point above clearly. Are you saying that the penalties prescribed by the shariah need revisiting?

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited December 2014

@Nirvana said:
    pegembara, I cannot see your point above clearly. Are you saying that the penalties prescribed by the shariah need revisiting?

Point is there are some Muslims who recognized that the need to make a stand against extremism. They cannot pretend that the problems in the Muslim world are all the result of their mistreatment at the hands of the non Muslims. They too need to take responsibility.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

We also have an Islamist party that believes the solution to what blights modern life is a criminal law from 6th century Arabia that prescribes whippings, stoning and death by decapitation for major offences.

All in the name of Islam.

We rail against those who kill in the name of Islam but it is fine that we can exact justice using such punishment in the name of Islam?
    http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/islam-needs-heroes-not-zeroes-who-kill-in-its-name

So then, pegembara, are you saying that strict adherence to Muslim Law (the shariah) is part of the problem?

If so, maybe that religion is inflexible and unyielding in its very nature????