Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Trouble meditating physically.

Hello,

Sadly my thyroid is working slowly, this makes me very tired from time to time. Lately I find myself having a hard time waking up and when I try to get up I am all hazy, so meditation is very hard at these points. At noon I am also tired and in the evening of course I am tired like hell and want to go to bed straight away. Sadly my condition seems to be becomming worst and worst, specially trough christmas which messed up my rythym. Yesterday I went to meditate at night but I fell half asleep and wouldn't last long... 6 minutes tops and boom I wanted to go to bed.

My question is how would you tackle this? Should I take a step back and just meditate 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes whenever I feel like I can? I normally do 15-20 but due to my christmas my thyroid is to messed up after new year I can call the doctor and see what my blood showed... Last time I had to take blood they said my thyroid was to slow, but! They wanted to wait 3 months and have my take my blood again. In these 3 months I have just struggled to get anything done...

So no one can take away my slow thyroid but you folks might have been sick physically in which it was to hard to meditate. Do you have any tips maybe do meditation in bed? I know I could risk falling asleep but even if I fall asleep so be it.

Comments

• RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran

Do what you can, when you can, in the way you can. You can transform everything into practice, specially the difficulties.

SarahTRhodian
  • I have had drowsiness as a problem due to anti psychotic meds. Walking meditation and many short sessions help. Another idea is to just let yourself fall asleep and be mindful while falling asleep.
    lobsterRhodianEarthninja
  • Do you have any tips maybe do meditation in bed?

TAYATA / OM BEKANDZE BEKANDZE / MAHA BEKANDZE RADZA / SAMUDGATE SOHA

Sure.

I tend to do mantra.
    TAYATA / OM BEKANDZE BEKANDZE / MAHA BEKANDZE RADZA / SAMUDGATE SOHA
    This calls the blessing of the Medicine Buddha
    http://www.worldwidehealingcircle.net/meaning.htm

You can drift to sleep chanting and even play youtube or use apps, MP3, cd, programs calling on the power/refuge/principle of Dr Buddha whilst asleep . . .

Rhodian
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Sorry to hear about your thyroid acting up, @Rhodian.
    I'd say, try to do whenever possible some good five minutes of deep breathing, sitting, eyes closed, very mindful of the process and see how it works for you.
    Ten minutes would be the ideal minimum.

I do some ten minutes of meditation lying in bed on waking up and to relax my body before falling asleep.
    But the risk of dozing off to sleep is too big, of course.

After my group yoga class, we always lie five to ten minutes in the corpse pose and do some breathing and almost everyone invariably lifts off in no time.

Important thing is that you include some meditation somehow.
    The more I read the suttas, the more I notice the Buddha emphasized over and over again the importance of meditation.

Rhodian
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited December 2014

If you are having a hard time with your illness, then my suggestion is to relax. just take it easy. it is not a race and moreover, we even do not know exactly what we are heading towards, even though we have some idea about it. Every moment is a moment of practice and yet even a moment cannot be found out, even if try to find it, but still we experience it. Try to be mindful of your body and your breath in whatever situation you are, as often as you could. But do not add stress unnecessarily in your present life, just because you are not able to meditate (as you think you should meditate).

I am a ignorant stupid person, so please feel free to neglect whatever I have written above and I am not having any calm in my sitting meditation just to let you know, so from meditation point of view, I am also a junk person so whatever above I have written is based on my little theoretical understanding.

silverRhodianlobster