Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Mindful Way Through Depression

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited January 2015 in Meditation

If the link in this post has been posted before, all I can say is "The more times 'hopefully' the merrier"

Depression so they say, is the fastest growing disease in the West...

Many moons ago I grappled with the black dog to the extent I would rattle when I walked (due to the amount of pills I was having to pop in an attempt to feel 'normal')...I'm happy to say the rattling has stopped and the black dog has not been yapping at my door for many years now...

It was trial and error ( wholehearted acceptance of the circumstances that surrounded my 'being' and meditation meditation meditation) that eventually tamed the black dog..... (Who said you can't teach old dogs new tricks ??? )

I know for some people, meditation is not the be all and end all to all their woes, but I've found that there is a magical mystical buzz about it, when one learns to just "let go" and go with the flow....

No doubt there are some members who are suffering or have suffered from depression...I hope that the following video book will be of some help...It's based on the Buddhist approach to mindfulness with a scientific twist to give it more oomph for the Western sceptical mind.....

May you be well & happy ...(It's your true nature )

"The Mindful Way Through Depression" (It's a step by step guide and goes for around 5 hours)

lobsterEarthninjaFireSong

Comments

• The precipitous rise of depression in modern culture owes in part to a lack of a proper and vitalizing dialogue between the I and the me. One cannot help but see just the opposite in the Buddha's teachings. His words point to my inwardness, that is, the inner dialog between the I and the me (the self and the lord of the self) trying to correct me. All the training, too, such as meditation, goes on in the world of the I and the me. For example, in zazen, I am taming the me with its nervous habits; I am taming the chattering me; I am taming the sleepy me, etc.

The self is the lord of self; who else could be the lord?
    With self well subdued a man finds a lord who is difficult to obtain (Dp. 160)

Wise his he who finds within them the lord (nâtho also a frequent epithet for the Buddha).