Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

body speaks

'try to understand what does the body want to say'

what do you know about the above?

if possible (it is the best) listen to your own body, before answer

you can do this at the end of the day, before sleep

thanks

lobsterEarthninjaTosh

Comments

• :)

Strangely enough we sit with our bodies. The arisings 'from our mind' include our bodies. The hormones that rage through us at times, the illness and joy that effect our thinking, so much body based.

Did the Buddha practice body based yoga before learning to sit and generate right action? Who knows but calming the body is a Buddha buddy.

EarthninjaBuddhadragon
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited January 2015

I'm training for an ultra marathon, though it's not going that well to be honest. My body goes 'ouch, ooch, ouch, stop, slow down, ouch, etc'. It's a bit like meditation to be honest. A pain or some uncomfortable feeling arises, lingers, passes, only to be replaced by a new pain or uncomfortable feeling somewhere else.

I sometimes wonder - I have a lot of time to wonder while running - if putting myself through this kind of thing could be a practise of transcending the self?

Do we really have to listen to our bodies? Or can we just note what's going on and not get too involved with it?

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    @Tosh‌ as a personal trainer, I'd say pay attention to the pain when running.
    80 percent of runners get injured.

The main reason is because of poor foot fall patterns. Do you land on the ball of your foot or your heel?

If you heel strike the sheering forces through your joints are huge.
    You should also be running the same with or without shoes.

I would seriously take notice of your pain when training :) there's a difference between a nerve pinch while meditating and a Knee reconstruction.

Most runners don't know they are running badly untill it's too late. :(

Check out Pose Running. For more information.

I can probably email you the entire training journal if you want. :)
    ToshsilverRowan1980
  • ToshTosh Veteran

Thanks @Earthnija, I understand the importance of good running form and invest a fair bit of time into practising it. Pose running, natural running, Chi running, barefoot running, the Alexander technique (they're all the same kind of thing). Forefoot landing, choppy steps with a fast cadence (around 180 steps per minute), leaning slightly foreward from the ankles, etc. Of course, when I'm tired, I end up running more like the hunch back of Notre Dam.

In the Summer, I'll normally try and run a couple of miles barefoot around a grassed track once-a-week. I understand it not only helps with running form, but strengthens our feet too. I've also done the 'barefoot running shoe thing' (minimalist training shoes).

But I can generally tell an injury from the normal kind of pain; my rule is if it forces me to change my running form, I walk. But there's blistered feet, chaffing thighs, niggles which come and go, tired legs, and often the 'I don't want to be here' feeling of being two hours into a four hour run, it's raining, dark, cold and I'm tired. There's a lot to be practising with, from a Buddhist point of view.

lobsterEarthninja
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Tosh said:
    Thanks Earthnija, I understand the importance of good running form and invest a fair bit of time into practising it. Pose running, natural running, Chi running, barefoot running, the Alexander technique (they're all the same kind of thing). Forefoot landing, choppy steps with a fast cadence (around 180 steps per minute), leaning slightly foreward from the ankles, etc. Of course, when I'm tired, I end up running more like the hunch back of Notre Dam.

In the Summer, I'll normally try and run a couple of miles barefoot around a grassed track once-a-week. I understand it not only helps with running form, but strengthens our feet too. I've also done the 'barefoot running shoe thing' (minimalist training shoes).

But I can generally tell an injury from the normal kind of pain; my rule is if it forces me to change my running form, I walk. But there's blistered feet, chaffing thighs, niggles which come and go, tired legs, and often the 'I don't want to be here' feeling of being two hours into a four hour run, it's raining, dark, cold and I'm tired. There's a lot to be practising with, from a Buddhist point of view.

>

Wow, I think you've reached the limits of what running can teach you, @Tosh. I've done simple exercises and did a number on my shoulder or knee or back. I think if you keep it up with this running business, you will end up really hurt some how. I was wondering if you've ever tried anything like tai chi. It seems like you're wanting a physical activity that involves thinking - hard to explain, but that's what I've read into your posts here.

I hate to see people try to 'improve' their lives with exercise, only to screw up their body some how. Btw, I myself would love to take a gander at @Earthninja‌'s training journal, fwiw.
    (*)

Tosh
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@upekka said:
    'try to understand what does the body want to say'

Could you give some examples? Are you talking about mindfulness of the body?

• ToshTosh Veteran

There's a lot of misconceptions about running and the dangers of such. Maybe we could discuss it on another topic?

And I don't think I'm anywhere near my limits on what I can learn from anything.

Earthninja
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Tosh said:There's a lot of misconceptions about running and the dangers of such. Maybe we could discuss it on another topic?
    And I don't think I'm anywhere near my limits on what I can learn from anything.

>

Okay...I rarely assume anything, but I tend to be perhaps overprotective and as an oldster, I've seen a lot; been through a lot.
    :)

Tosh
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    Could you give some examples? Are you talking about mindfulness of the body?

not just the pains

but

some other movements within the body when we are just sitting or resting
    some noises come from the body etc.

after a while (once we know them) there seems to be (for sure) right side of the body speaks (meaning) differently than left side of the body

i thought some of you advanced practitioners could help me (guide me) in this line of thought too

(in 'element' thread of this forum fellow practitioners helped me a lot to change the focus and it accelerated the understanding)

• I think my body is telling me to make good use of it and take care of it while it is still healthy.

lobsterBuddhadragon