Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mindful about mindfulness

A few days ago, I had some sort of "Aha! moment" when I realized that the most mindful moments I had were in my childhood. I remember how immersed in the moment I was and how time seemed to pass at a slower rate. Everything seemed to be more vivid. That's why I was wondering if mindfulness is something we all had and lot as we grew older. What do you think?

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Yes, I can remember as child feeling much more connected, then somehow the barriers went up and there was a distance.

tibellus
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

I still indulge the impulse to stomp on an icy puddle to listen to the crunch. Not that we're having nice icy winters around here anymore.

Children are naturally more 'mindful' I guess, but it's not deliberate mindfulness, or mindfulness with 'awareness'. Babies are innocent but not because they've achieved some moral high ground. We outgrow childhood 'mindfulness' and innocence because we need to, probably. The conscious, deliberate adult product of mindfulness is similar enough, but perhaps an advanced version? These things I wonder.

silvertibellus
  • I used to be fearless on ice on the sidewalk. Walking home I would 'skate' with my shoes in alternating strokes home.

tibellus
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I don't know, my 6 year old is fairly aware, and very connected to other people. On Valentine's day he said he wished he could make a valentine for everyone, because he thinks all people, even bad people, need them and that it's his favorite holiday because he cares about people so much. It's something I try to encourage and hope he doesn't lose it, but it seems to happen fairly quickly once they start schooling. I tend to think that is probably intentional on a sub-conscious level, on the part of the governments goal for turning out good citizens that contribute to our economy. I'm kind of a pessimist in that way, :lol:

The more I continue through my adult life, the more I find myself looking back to my childhood for direction and answers. Most often, that is where I find what I need.

tibellus
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"That's why I was wondering if mindfulness is something we all had and lot as we grew older. What do you think?"

I think it's a different kind of mindfulness...

In adults, with 'mindfulness' comes wisdom (knowing)

In children, with 'mindfulness' comes 'in the moment' curiosity

and or sadness or enjoyment

Well this is what I've found from observation...I too was a child once (In a past life) :)

tibellus
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The message is loud and clear in the Bible, to borrow a quotation:

"Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God." (Luke 18:16).

He went on, to add:

"Truly I say unto you, whomsoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter therein."

So there is a definite recommendation to clear the mind, heart (and Soul) of unnecessary prejudices, preconceived ideas, perceptions, and all the 'adult hang-ups' we accumulate over time.
    let it all go, let it drop, clear the mind of baggage and be Child-LIKE in your approach to peace, Wisdom and Enlightenment.

I think it's great advice. No matter the religious calling or persuasion, it makes sense.

tibellussilverJeffreylobster
  • I iz childish? :3 [Mr Cushion agrees]

• This thread made me think more about the concept of "zen mind, beginner mind". I think the true beginner mind is the mind of a child. Always inquiring, always curious, yet anchored in the present moment. Maybe as we grow up we forget that we're just bigger children, and we forget that this adult thing might just be a game we're taking too serious because we want to give a meaning to everything we do.

lobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@tibellus

I think that the yabbering of our skandhas over time just makes our habituated response to them, more ingrained.

The less time spent in the yabbering room, the less limitation to our mind full ness.

When mindfullness is really about not editing phenomenon's flow, there is a child like grace to our observations.

When a meditation practitioner is isolated from the childlike wonder of each moment, then I think adult fears of loss still rule the roost.

lobstertibellusSarahT