Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Daily practices

2»

Comments

• adeleadele Blackpool Rocks! Explorer
    edited March 2015

rohit =the only centre in Blackpool is NKT which I am uncomfortable with - i did go twice last year and went to the main house in the Lake District.
    Apart from that the nearest centre is around a hundred miles away, takes about one and a half hours to get to and costs £30 on the train to get to - i can't afford that.
    The nearest Theravada place is about $ hours away on the train.
    If I wanted to follow NKT I would have no problem getting a teacher but I'm not so the online courses, reading and you tube videos are the only other option for me.
    I have been told that a Tibetan group may start somewhere nearer and I will go to it if and when it starts.
    The online course does have a teacher that can be contacted via email and there is an active forum that goes with it. They encourage people to meet up and form local groups w too both of which will help.
    I think the discipline comes from within too ant the teacher won't be with us all the time, we have to get on with what they suggest. If something is really important to us we will follow it and work at it and make the best of whatever we have. I am doing the best that i can for now though i would love to go to a teacher or centre weekly.

• TalisTalis Explorer
    edited March 2015

@adele said:
    rohit =the only centre in Blackpool is NKT which I am uncomfortable with - i did go twice last year and went to the main house in the Lake District.
    Apart from that the nearest centre is around a hundred miles away, takes about one and a half hours to get to and costs £30 on the train to get to - i can't afford that.
    The nearest Theravada place is about $ hours away on the train.
    If I wanted to follow NKT I would have no problem getting a teacher but I'm not so the online courses, reading and you tube videos are the only other option for me.
    I have been told that a Tibetan group may start somewhere nearer and I will go to it if and when it starts.
    The online course does have a teacher that can be contacted via email and there is an active forum that goes with it. They encourage people to meet up and form local groups w too both of which will help.
    I think the discipline comes from within too ant the teacher won't be with us all the time, we have to get on with what they suggest. If something is really important to us we will follow it and work at it and make the best of whatever we have. I am doing the best that i can for now though i would love to go to a teacher or centre weekly.

Hi Adele, I have a distance issue also so can empathise. Have you had a look at: Samye Ling Tibetan Centre? I am currently on yr3 of Dharmacharya Ken Holmes 3 yr distance learning course ( http://www.calm-and-clear.eu/nangi.html ) I can vouch for both him as a teacher and a person. He also has a lot of instructions on Youtube. As for practice I find that to start off at a pace that suits you & your circumstances. I generally do 30-40 mins Meditation & prayers in the am, use a mindfulness app throughout the day to centre myself & then in the eve depending how I'm doing 30mins meditation or mantra recitation with a mala. As many more knowledgeable people than I have said, "Practice is a subject that reaches further than the cushion" ie constant examination of mind throughout the day. Good luck with whatever you decide to take on :)

adele

Talis, Hi, thanks
    Yes i know of the course at Samye Ling and I am already enrolled on it - it starts this May. I am also enrolled on a 3 weekend course there on basic Buddhist practices and compassion which starts in 3 weeks. I know that Ken Holmes has a great reputation and that is why I feel that he will become my teacher and that the forum will help me too. I watched some of Kens you tube videos and it was after them that i decided that i was ready to take refuge and knew what to expect. I have been to Samye Ling a couple of times and love it there.

Talis
  • Ken Holmes is an able sweet teacher, with many qualities worth learning. Did a course with him going through part of one of his books almost line by line. Was never personally inclined to buy the book but many did. Incidentally I would never take as root guru someone willing to have me as a student . . . take your time, choose wisely . . .

It is important to be aware that teaching in a dharma centre is not just from the obvious source teacher but also the environment, exposure to opportunities, companions etc. <3

adele

I've been told that a centre is hopefully opening somewhere near me fairly soon - from Samye Dzong in Manchester. If it does then I will go at least weekly and I really hope it does.
    I also think doing the weekend courses will help a lot too and I am going to write a list of questions that I will try to get answered.