Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Two Sides Of Mother Nature's Karmic Force

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited March 2015 in General Banter

No doubt many members here have experienced Mother Nature at work, for example earthquakes-Tsunamis-Hurricanes,Cyclones,Tornadoes...

If it wasn't for the fact they cause much destruction and devastation one could appreciate witnessing the beauty as Mother Nature unleashes her magnificent pent up powers...

I've experienced a 5.2 earthquake (one of many to hit Christchurch when I was visiting there )and a couple of cyclone (One when visiting Bangladesh -that country's prone to natural disasters)...

At the moment there's a tropical cyclone "Pam" heading our way via Vanuatu which has experienced the full brunt of its number "5" category (the strongest cyclones get, with winds up to 300 km per hour)

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/deaths-reported-cyclone-pam-slams-into-vanuatu-6254887

May those in Vanuatu stay safe and the damage and life loss be minimal...

Comments

• She's so bad because she can't understand the supremacy of man.

ShoshinEarthninjaNirvana
  • I don't like your rhetorics.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited March 2015

My apologies...I was not implying that...I was just saying how we quite often just see the destruction and devastation side of Mother nature at work...And of course cyclones and the like are "cause condition & effect" (Hence "karma" at work)...Beside it's just a news item some might be interested in-No big deal... :)

Hamsaka
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

A good friend of mine has been a storm chaser his whole life. We've had many discussions about the yin and yang of weather-how amazing, how beautiful it is even in destruction but how much harm can be caused. I've always been a weather nut/nerd, so I appreciate it for what it is-that level of change is needed and expected on a planet constantly in change-while also keeping her victims in mind. My friend watched a strong tornado that hit the Oklahoma City area a few years ago, from a distance. It wasn't until later they found out a man had died and he wondered if his view of the tornado happened to be exactly when the man died. It made him feel ill.

Thankfully, we live in a fairly quiet area, really. Tornadoes are rare, hurricanes don't happen, earthquakes don't happen (though really thy can happen anywhere). We suffer with our -40F weather and sometimes significant snow storms, but that is it.

Shoshin
    edited March 2015

@Pöljä said:
    I don't like your rhetorics.

If your comment was directed at me I apologise for any confusion @Polja... :)

edited March 2015

@karasti said:
    A good friend of mine has been a storm chaser his whole life. We've had many discussions about the yin and yang of weather-how amazing, how beautiful it is even in destruction but how much harm can be caused. I've always been a weather nut/nerd, so I appreciate it for what it is-that level of change is needed and expected on a planet constantly in change-while also keeping her victims in mind. My friend watched a strong tornado that hit the Oklahoma City area a few years ago, from a distance. It wasn't until later they found out a man had died and he wondered if his view of the tornado happened to be exactly when the man died. It made him feel ill.

Thankfully, we live in a fairly quiet area, really. Tornadoes are rare, hurricanes don't happen, earthquakes don't happen (though really thy can happen anywhere). We suffer with our -40F weather and sometimes significant snow storms, but that is it.

There's an extreme sport event happening here in Aotearoa, where I think 8 of the world's top surfers are here to ride the waves and it just so happens some areas will be experiencing massive waves (due to the cyclone)-just how they like it...The adrenaline rush...

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin
    We were once sleeping on the ground, kayak camping on a very low small Island off the pacific coast when a 6.1 earthquake epicentered right there. 2 oclock in the morning and our tent ground felt like a vibrating message bed on a roller coaster. When it settled down I looked towards the ocean to see if a wave was coming but could not even see my hand in front of my face. Knowing that the highest ground on that Island was only 8 ft above high tide and us out of radio range made for one pretty unsettling night.

ShoshinHamsakaRowan1980
    edited March 2015

@how said:

Shoshin
    We were once sleeping on the ground, kayak camping on a very low small Island off the pacific coast when a 6.1 earthquake epicentered right there. 2 oclock in the morning and our tent ground felt like a vibrating message bed on a roller coaster. When it settled down I looked towards the ocean to see if a wave was coming but could not even see my hand in front of my face. Knowing that the highest ground on that Island was only 8 ft above high tide and us out of radio range made for one pretty unsettling night.

I could just imagine...When things like that happen and especially at night, we are already night sensitive to the primal fears that arise...

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear." H.P. Lovecraft"

Earthninja
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

We had some coastal flooding last year, a tidal surge. It felt like the sea was playing with us, just giving us a small taste of what it could do.

Shoshin
  • Sorry for my bad moment…

All that Bible stuff that modify mind and language (English is a very sexist language). You know, Adam and Eve, Hebrew names that mean ”Man, Mankind” and ”Source of Life”. God cursed the ground… Nature, that has a female nature, has to be controlled by man…

There are natural disasters and catastrophes caused by man. I don’t relate heartlessly to either of them.

Shoshin

The winds have started...But the worse is yet to come...They say around 9 pm tonight (12 hours time) Pam will make her presence felt in parts of the North Island....

The Island nation of Vanuatu has taken a battering and sadly lives have been lost...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/67383571/cyclone-pam-kiwis-missing-in-vanuatus-killer-cyclone

Earthninja
    edited March 2015

Update................

The winds are picking up and the clouds are rolling in ("Aotearoa" our name sake, often translated as "The land of the long white cloud" )...

Yachts are anchored in the bays, their owners seeking/praying for some form of protection...The winds beginning to whip up the seas... An old Russian seaman's proverb "Stop praying and start rowing"

My heart also goes out to those living rough on the streets....

This too shall pass !

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-189.89,-27.50,1003

Update.............

Well it's raining, the winds have pick up and the temperature as dropped, pretty quiet overnight (But I haven't been outside yet) ...Pam is passing by "Hasta la vista"

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/live-updates-vanuatu-devastated-gisborne-braces-weakened-cyclone-pam-6255831

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Hope you're all ok over there.

Thanks @ourself I think all is well, it would seem we caught the tail end of its force...And along with the devastation and destruction it comes with a welcome blessing of sorts for those of us who survive on tank water...

The people of the friendly islands "Vanuatu" needs our metta thoughts right now....

BunksHamsaka