Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Die when you want to die?

NamadaNamada Veteran
edited March 2015 in Buddhism Today

This woman dont want to live any more, so she went to switzerland to drink her last drink.
She was old and sick and didnt want to suffer anymore, and it was time for her to say goddbye on her own permissions.

Do you think this is ok? That You can decide when you want to die? Or will you hold on to the bitter end
and die "natural"?

http://lybio.net/michele-causse-assisted-suicide-on-swiss-tv/people/

Comments

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    edited March 2015

Yes. It should be own decision to live or not...but due to religious belief, it's fear of god or painful rebirth many people continue to live as it is.

dantepw
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

A Theravada Monk committed suicide when his cancer became too painful to tolerate. I believe @Jason posted a link once-upon-a-time.

Freedom of Choice is what I vote for, every time.
    No matter how we may consider our own deaths ourselves, nobody should be held to jugement or criticism for doing what they firmly believe to be right.

Telly03vinlynNamadaEarthninja
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"Different strokes for different folks !" That's just the way it is (At this moment in time)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(is there any other ?)

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

No that's all there is....

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    No that's all there is....

Peggy Lee thanks you for your answer.

Rowan1980EarthninjaShoshin
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    If you are on your way out, why not be allowed to die gracefully?

We have unnatural births? Why not unnatural deaths?

Thee should be ways to help people die, with dignity and hey if it's my death. Let's have a death day party!
    vinlyn
  • @Earthninja said:
    Let's have a death day party!

Today is a good day to live!
    Klingon anti war army (banned by high council)

Earthninja
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Freedom of choice is my vote. I know when things are at the end for me, I'll probably arrange my exit rather than wait for asphyxiation (the death of choice with my disease).

_ /\ _

Earthninjadantepw
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited March 2015

@Namada said:
    This woman dont want to live any more, so she went to switzerland to drink her last drink.
    She was old and sick and didnt want to suffer anymore, and it was time for her to say goddbye on her own permissions.

Do you think this is ok? That You can decide when you want to die? Or will you hold on to the bitter end
    and die "natural"?

http://lybio.net/michele-causse-assisted-suicide-on-swiss-tv/people/

According to the Buddha, most people live under the belief that they are their bodies. Hence there is the belief that we can choose to die on our own terms. The point is to realise that the body belongs to Nature, not yours. It will return to Nature regardless of one's belief.

In a way "you" don't actually die.

"Bhikkhus, form is not-self. Were form self, then this form would not lead to affliction, and one could have it of form: 'Let my form be thus, let my form be not thus.' And since form is not-self, so it leads to affliction, and none can have it of form: 'Let my form be thus, let my form be not thus.'

Anattalakkhana Sutta

Earthninja
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    @pegembara that's true but the doctor who prescribes medicine is also belonging to nature...

Let's rephrase this, whether the body/mind chooses to die on it's own terms should be ok. :)
    I'll just watch the event .
  • @Earthninja said:
    pegembara that's true but the doctor who prescribes medicine is also belonging to nature...

Let's rephrase this, whether the body/mind chooses to die on it's own terms should be ok.
    I'll just watch the event .

In a sense everything is Dhamma (belongs to Nature/God .....) Watching the show is fine. Don't be the actor for that takes you to birth, death and suffering.

Earthninja