Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Enlightenment in THIS lifetime.

2»

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

~ @federica waits while some bright spark makes one up....~

Earthninja
  • @Earthninja said:
    lobster haha I would say understanding how to build a raft is very different from actually doing it.
    Those ropes are hard to tie down!

:)

The problem with metaphors is we think (in this example) that rowing upstream when the current changes is right effort. In fact timing might be important. We think that arrival on the far shore is the end, when in fact as for the Buddha it was in effect the beginning. Or we assume because much rope tying and logging is occurring that a raft is in preparation, we might just be in a harbour construction site . . .

... and now back to THIS life ... :)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Let's shoot some rapids!

lobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    For me it's the other way round.

I view the N8P as a psychological self-help system of sorts.

Sounds far more shrink-like to say "I'm working to come to terms with my approach to suffering," than to say "I want to get enlightened"
    O.o

• windfallwindfall Explorer

I believe in gravity, physics and the theory of relativity. An old man or woman takes there time for a reason, as such I cant look at it that way and can only get comfortable with the Idea of string. I'd smile but I drink a lot of coffee so some other time perhaps

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2015

Only your own abandoned attachments should tie the raft together. I believe those rafts built with anything else are the ones folks keep trying to carry on the other shore.

BuddhadragonlobsterEarthninja
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited April 2015

@Earthninja said:
    Victorious or waking up after lifetimes of dreaming.
    Awakening or enlightenment. Waking up to what is.

Awakening is good too I suppose.

I was just speaking about the literal translation of Nibbana. Understanding the literal meaning is helpful in daily practice.

You can look it up here.

http://urbandharma.org/pdf/palidict.pdf

Peace!
    /Victor

Earthninja