Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Finding a tradition

2»

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I have a hunch that any serious student will find drawbacks wherever s/he plants a flag.

I would agree with this, although I might not use the term 'drawback'.

Perhaps a challenge, or some things which may cause some discomfort... but I don't think any tradition has a 'drawback' as such... (Unless, from a purely personal PoV here [and I don't propose to bang the drum any more than via this comment] one considers the outrageous discrimination against the ordination of nuns in the Theravada tradition. Then I would agree, it's a definite 'drawback'. )

• JohnMacJohnMac Dr Scotland Veteran

You are both right, I mustn't think about it too much, and just get on with it. I think I'll engage with one of the previously mentioned online sanghas and take it from there. Plenty material to keep me going for a while, again, thank you all for the insightful answers.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

Well, check in here from time to time, please. This forum is also an inter-traditional Sangha of sorts.

• JohnMacJohnMac Dr Scotland Veteran

@Straight_Man said:
    Well, check in here from time to time, please. This forum is also an inter-traditional Sangha of sorts.

Definately, I look forward to contributing. Hopefully, some answers instead of questions. In my youth (I'm 44) now, and before becoming a photographer, I read physics at University and worked as a researcher in the area of theoretical physics. I'm exercising my mind now with notions of the present moment being manifestations of a probability wave.....anyway, more later I think on a different thread!