Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Zero fighter pilot, 98, wages anti-war campaign

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited April 2015 in General Banter

Kaname Harada, 98, is on a mission to educate an increasingly
militaristic Japan about the horrors of war he experienced as a
Zero fighter pilot in World War II [Ko Sasaki for The New York Times]

It's enough to bring tears to the eyes:

"Nothing is as terrifying as war .... I want to tell you my experiences in war so that younger generations
don’t have to go through the same horrors that I did....
“I fought the war from the cockpit of a Zero, and can still remember the faces of those I killed,” said
Mr. Harada, who said he was able to meet and befriend some of his foes who survived the war.
“They were fathers and sons, too. I didn’t hate them or even know them.”
“That is how war robs you of your humanity,” he added, “by putting you in a situation where
you must either kill perfect strangers or be killed by them.”

Was there ever a peace advocate who did not say the words uttered by Kaname Harada, 98? And was there ever -- god forgive us -- a snowball's chance in hell that his experiences would inspire and inform those bent on the next military adventure, the next 'defensive' or status-enhancing thrust? Be assured that the younger generation, wherever they are, will have to see the horrors for themselves.

Yes, we must try, but I see little or no reason to sidestep the fact that that effort will end in failure.

DakiniRowan1980DandelionJohnMac

Comments