Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

This forum and other religions

I've posted in a lot of forums, many of religious or philosophical in nature. I think it is interesting to compare the threads in the category "Buddhism and Other Religions" with threads from similar categories in forums devoted to other religions. Here, most threads are started by people sincerely wanting to know more about the other religions. Criticism of other beliefs is, when it appears, generally given with a request to others to help the poster understand such belifs. In many other forums, such other-religions areas are used to point out "flaws" in other religions to be used in arguments and conversion. I've even noticed that kind of posting on other Buddhist websites (though not as much as some other religions). Thank you again fellow posters. I've had to leave some forums because things got so negative. It's nice to still have a refuge.

Comments

• comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I am trying to be more understanding of other beliefs. Whenever I get a negative thing in my head I think for a moment before I post about it. It seems to help me. Plus you like Douglas Adams so you can't be too bad. LOL ;)
  • edited June 2005
    Yeah,

Being a Wiccan and a Nichiren Buddhist---well, let's just say that I have had to experience more than my share of intolerant people and web sites! That is why I pretty much stay here and post than visit those other sites. Here, I get treated with respect and that is a big plus in my book!

Adiana :lol::lol:
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Intolerance won't be tolerated here!

Wait.... is that a paradox? :lol:
    edited June 2005
    We have to tolerate intolerance. We will zen the intolerant to enlightenment. lol
  • edited June 2005
    I am trying to be more understanding of other beliefs. Whenever I get a negative thing in my head I think for a moment before I post about it. It seems to help me. Plus you like Douglas Adams so you can't be too bad. LOL ;)

Think before posting? What a novel idea! I must pass that on ;)
    edited June 2005
    If I were you I would keep that a secret. People might start being nice to each other and then we would be out of a job. LOL :)
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    i have fairly strong beliefs and morals, i live very simply and am very minful of what I eat/watch on TV/listen to etc. I try to bring up my child this way also. but i am finding that with having strong beliefs comes being judgemental, but i also know that buddhists are not judgemental and take everything into account without passing judgement.
    Me struggling... :banghead:
    edited June 2005
    You will not be struggling once you realize why you are struggling. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    "Judge not, that ye be not Judged... let he who has no sin, cast the first stone...." What 'Buddha' said that? Ah, yes, the Christian fave, J.C.....
    It all overlaps, folks.... everything, everywhere is a lesson, if we would but just pull aside the veil of apprehension, distrust and prejudice....
    I had a wonderfully kind experience yesterday.... (may I share....?)
    I work on the local campsite, and I get to meet an awful lot of folks as they pass through.... I got to speaking with this Dutch lady, who is a nurse by professuion, but also a fully-trained dancer. She's in her mid-sixties now, but still lithe, supple and expressive. She's had a couple of serious accidents and inspite of warnings from doctors that she should never carry children (bad pelvic break) or that she'd never dance again, or that her career in nursing would be over (hand shattered in very bad fall) she, with an iron will & determination, got through it. And her Faith in Jesus Christ is what she believes healed her. But she's not militant, blinkered, intransigent or prejudiced in any way shape or form.... she is delightfully sweet, sincere, determined and devout. She is a joy to talk to. We've had a couple of wonderful talks on our respective faiths, only to find that we're both saying the same thing; Compassion is the key.

I had a severe accident about four years ago which damaged my sciatic nerve irreparably. I have little or no sensation now, on the outer part of my left leg, I can never wear high heels again, because I can't "feel" them, so I fall over like a drunk! And I limp. there's no pain - just no nerve message coming through.
    She came up to me, and asked me if she could pose a very personal question. 'hello, ' I thought..... I said yes, no problem....
    'Tell me,' she ventured, 'has anyone ever prayed for you?'
    Well, that took me by surprise.... I answered that I genuinely didn't know, but that no-one had ever told me if they had; as far as I knew, no.....
    She received healing for her constant pelvic pain, some years back, and much to her amazement, even though she'd been praying for her sister's hearing loss, it was she who was healed. Her sister subsequently told her that she herself had been praying that her sister's pelvic pain would be taken away from her....
    Make of this what you will. "never under-estimate the Power of Prayer" is what I say. And this woman's true blissful, wonderful faith shines through. She is what a Christian should be. And she is even what a Buddhist should be.
    edited June 2005
    That's a very nice story.

Here is one of my own. My mother in law is a semi Christian. She is afraid to believe in anything else basically. She doesn't follow it very well. Well I was always bumping heads with her on this subject. I found myself apologizing to her today for giving her such a hard time. My wife couldn't believe it. She said she was in shock. For a while I felt weird about it but after thinking on it I know I did the right thing and I am glad I apologized. I do not want to be angry with Christianity anymore so I think this was a good step in the right direction.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Tenzin Gyatso, the Dalai Lama, said: "Lord Buddha is my door; Lord Jesus is your door."

They are only doors - or as the Tathagata said, "fingers pointing at the moon".

I pray the Awakened, Resurrected and Heroic of all the worlds of all the times that this century will see all dogma fall away so that the truth may shine!