Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

On emptiness

tibellustibellus Veteran
edited April 2015 in Buddhism Basics
I just read something and thought I should share. Found the article pretty inspirational, especially this part:

"The discovery of emptiness is a kind of falling in love. There is a vertigo in it: we step off the cliff of what we know and are certain about. During a retreat, for example, when I’m doing interviews, someone will bring in a common object—an oak leaf, a rusty pipe wrench found on a path—and put it on the altar. That objects then becomes the thing that contains all the trees and the stars and belongs with the Buddha statues and other representations of eternity. We can allow objects to act on us so profoundly that afterward we are not the selves we thought we were."

The article can be read here: http://www.tricycle.com/special-section/erotic-life-emptiness
ShoshinlobsterCinorjersilverJeffrey

Comments

• The article illustrates 'emptiness is form, form is emptiness'
    It is why 'suchness' or 'I AM' in other systems eventually leads into an emptying of that very affirmation of being.

A bit more from the article:

In the end, generosity doesn’t have reasons. Generosity might be strategically effective or virtuous, but that’s not important. The point is that there is no good reason to love life or each other, yet we do. Generosity keeps faith with our appreciation of each other, it stems from a natural empathy with everything that, like us, has the courage to take a shape in the world.

silverJeffreyBunks