Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

emptiness in everyday life

2»

Comments

• Yes, it is interesting how people can be offended by words isn't it. Do you think that, in light of our posts, that any reasonable person should be offended by the use of the word Hinayana? If they are, do you think you should really consider it appropriate that you should really care how they 'feel'.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Thank you @Jeffrey, well put.

Currently, @Mumonkanman, you are a new member, and as such still on tentative ground.
    Generally speaking when a visitor enters a new and strange establishment, the normal practice would be to engender some respect for the established inhabitants, and learn a little about the environment, rather than come blustering in on an argumentative streak and be upfront, bolshy and have an attitude that actually smacks of aggression.

You're new round here.
    Pull your horns in feller, and get used to the environment, before picking an argument and resisting well-meant counsel.

Jeffreylobster
  • With respect, I think it is quite clear that I am not on 'tentative ground'. I am, in fact, on ground that I have been treading continuously for over 30 years. If you take the time to consider the comments that I am presenting you will see that they are fair, true and accurate. Those who want to engage on a substantial level should do so. Those who are on a personality, control or 'moderator' trip will not benefit from my comments. As the Buddha said, it is pointless to speak a word of the dhamma into the ear of a pig (much as I like pigs). Cheers

lobsterEarthninja
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Mumonkanman said:
    I see. you are trying to educate me through Wikipedia? Interesting. The Pali Text Society was at that stage strongly prejudiced towards the type of Hinayana practiced in Ceylon ( Sri Lanka). The Ceylonese Buddhists were rather insular and felt that they were being shown up by the trend in preference for the Mahayana. I have trained in Sri Lanka and I can tell you that the Hinayana is alive and kicking there. I literally saw several Hinayana monks step over a dying man on their way into a Bank in Kandy. The man was dead when they stepped over him again, on their way back out.

I'd like to know how much training you received there, just as a curious point of interest for me.

Maybe their stepping over the dead/dying person was skillful as it gets for them, for that time and place. At each turn...each step, we have to practice as much skillfulness as we have.

Must not be a very busy bank.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Mumonkanman said:
    With respect, I think it is quite clear that I am not on 'tentative ground'. I am, in fact, on ground that I have been treading continuously for over 30 years. If you take the time to consider the comments that I am presenting you will see that they are fair, true and accurate. Those who want to engage on a substantial level should do so. Those who are on a personality, control or 'moderator' trip will not benefit from my comments. As the Buddha said, it is pointless to speak a word of the dhamma into the ear of a pig (much as I like pigs). Cheers

Animated discussions are always welcome, and in fact, a part and parcel of the forum.
    Ad hominem attacks and patronising insults, are unwelcome, and cannot be tolerated, no matter at whom they are directed.
    Thank you for visiting.

NamadalobsterhowShoshin
  • a perfect example of 'pissing in the wind'. good job @Mumonkanman

silverDavidlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2015

Ah karma, so simple and direct at times. :p

This little piggy went to market,
    This little piggy stayed home,
    This little piggy had roast beef,
    This little piggy had none,
    And this little piggy cried wee wee wee all the way home

No laughing in the Hinayana, Beginner or zen charm school ranks if you please ... o:)

Vanilli
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

It would seem some Theravada Buddhists might apply/take the "emptiness in everyday life" to the max ...Each to their own...Whatever floats ones raft :)

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2015

Sometimes, a long term practice lends itself to skillful means and sometimes, the ego's camouflage.
    Just as some newbys can display intuitive depths of Dharmic understanding, some old hands seem only to have learned how to cover their ego in a spiritual patina.

I am grateful for how many of today's postings have offered clear demonstrations of what skillful means are, or are not.

lobsterShoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Hinayana means "small vehicle", and I don't find the term insulting at all. After all, size isn't everything, as men often like to remind us. ;)

lobsterEarthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2015

Hinayana was used historically to denigrate:
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/22272/small-wheel

It is perhaps a non essential term. Theravadin is a perfectly adequate descriptive term for many. It depends on the company you keep. Using historical up man-ship is not always the most skilful use of wording ... B) It is a fair question to ask teachers why they persist in calling themselves with pompous presumption 'Doctrine of the Elders'. Similarly we can ask the more compassionate upstarts to clarify the need to differentiate by using the 'Hinayana' appellation.

... and now back to the empty words ... ;)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I suppose not needing to identify ourselves with these labels is a step forward.

lobsterEarthninja
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Mumonkanman said:
    Yes, it is interesting how people can be offended by words isn't it. Do you think that, in light of our posts, that any reasonable person should be offended by the use of the word Hinayana? If they are, do you think you should really consider it appropriate that you should really care how they 'feel'.

C'est qui ça???? O.o

Il est un banned con.....

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Emptiness comes from the experience of internal insight.
    You do not "create" it with your thoughts or with you intellect.
    Buddhism is experiential in nature, lying in the area of observation but not in the area of thought.
    Meditate more.

JeffreyShoshinEarthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

If you take the time to consider the comments that I am presenting you will see that they are fair, true and accurate

and absent :p [bad cructacean!]

Shame really, you had a lot to offer. To be fair you were inaccurate and untrue to the situation. Life is not fair even for the accomplished cheer leader. Cheers.

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Emptiness is an experience, not a concept.
    You acquire this understanding through your meditations, not through spoken or written words.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2015

@FoibleFull said:
    Emptiness is an experience, not a concept.
    You acquire this understanding through your meditations, not through spoken or written words.

Ah yes. The obvious ones are the best. o:)

Welcome back to Nothing.

Oops I thought @Mumonkanman was back. She was fun.

What I meant to say is 'well said' @FoibleFull <3