Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Becoming a Monk or Nun? I got answers for you.

13»

Comments

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

And by that definition we're all monks and nuns @thenovicemonk41

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2015

@anataman

About any deliberate sexual stimulation.

The psychological or physical category's are simply too limited to explain it all.
    It has actually to do with a** spiritual** commitment
    to harness all of ones life energies towards suffering's cessation.

Elizlobster
  • robotrobot Veteran

@vinlyn said:
    Did you do the walk way up to the overlook?

Yes I did. Just about killed me. That was before the angina started. Awesome view.
    Did you get up there?

how
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Yes, it is one spectacular view. But, if I were going there again, I would definitely not be able to do it.

• robotrobot Veteran

@vinlyn said:
    Yes, it is one spectacular view. But, if I were going there again, I would definitely not be able to do it.

No me neither. But I could sure handle the forest walk. I'm definetly going back there.

• robotrobot Veteran

Yes, they are familiar. I really like Krabi.
    I'm sure you can't forget this view.

pegembara

Yes, I remember thinking I had finally reached the top, only to come to a sharp turn to the left with more steps.

For those of you who are wondering, we are talking about Wat Tham Seua (Tiger Temple, but not the Tiger Temple in the news) in Krabi, Thailand. It is a semi-forest temple, and if you climb hundreds and hundreds of steps you can see broad expanses of karst topography. The monk's village is in a deep valley.

Rowan1980
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

My knees hurt just looking at it!

Bunks

@karasti said:
    My knees hurt just looking at it!

1,200 steps to the top.

• @DhammaDragon said:
    It's upside down... federica!!!!!
    Fede, please, help....

Nothing wrong. It was taken in Australia.

vinlynBuddhadragonhowRowan1980
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@pegembara said:

That's why we're all so weird over here. All the blood keeps rushing to our heads!!!!!

Buddhadragonpegembara
  • Which one?

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hey @thenovicemonk41 - will you have access to the internet when you go into Sravasti Abbey?

It'd be great if you could keep us up to date on your journey as our friend @Jayantha has over the last little while.

It's nice to be able to live vicariously through someone ordaining. Especially for us folk for which it isn't an option.

No pressure though - it may be too difficult.

lobster
  • Well said @Bunks.

Some of us need as many token monks dharma inspiring uniformed branch as possible.

@thenovicemonk41 can hardly not be compassionate towards us ... :)

Bunks
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@silver said:> Are there any stand-up comedian monks? To be the biggest success at it, all they have to do is just keep talking about sex!

Ajahn Brahm is a stand-up comedian.

Bunks
  • @Bunks I will be on ever once and a while. They take my phone away and hold it hostage unless I really need it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@thenovicemonk41 said:
    fedora Ha! I didn't even notice my error. Thanks for correcting me!

Just call me the hat lady..... :D

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

@federica said:
    Calling Linc... HELP! Photos are being posted upside down....!

The photo was taken upside down and the editor currently can't read which was the photo was oriented when it was taken to fix it, yet.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

...'was' = 'way'....?

Ah. Ok. Ta. :)

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Wait until Pema asks you to put yourself out there as a teacher.
    Expect this to take another 15-30 years of practice.

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Is it true that you can't be a monk if your in debt?

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@Bookworm

Not everywhere but most schools ask you to take care of your worldly affairs first.

Few teachers will allow folks to ordain when there is a suspicion that they might be doing it to try to escape their worldly responsibilities.

Pay your debts & set up your financial affairs to run themselves before ordaining so as to minimize any need to involve yourself in financial or worldly distractions.

bookwormlobster
  • thug4lyfethug4lyfe Explorer

Would be cool to ordain!

lobster