Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Some major news about world religions and religion in the U.S.

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Quite a bit of surprising polling today about religion:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/12/living/pew-religion-study/index.html (Millenials leaving churches in droves in the U.S.)

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/27/living/poll-religion-gay-marriage/index.html (Upswing in religious support for gay marriage)

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/02/living/pew-study-religion/index.html (religion internationally, as they say "sorry Buddhism")

It's amazing how fast things are changing!

Shoshin

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Interesting. I wonder (as the last article briefly mentions) how fast women's rights and education will move and how much that'll impact things. I find it interesting Christianity is growing when so many young people are leaving the ranks. I do understand why Buddhism isn't for everyone. "Here are some guidelines to point the way, but you're on your own, figure it out" isn't appealing to a lot of people. They would prefer someone save them rather having to save themselves. That's fine, keeps out most of the riff raff, as my dad would say ;)

ZenshinShoshinNave650mmo
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I guess one of the reasons I like Buddhism is that it offers -- like all other religions -- hand holds by which to gain entry and advance, so to speak. But Buddhism's hand holds are courteous and common-sensical enough to let go as time passes ... as distinct from the hand holds that morph into an unremitting and unkind choke hold.

silverZenshinShoshinRowan1980
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

The second link got the amount wrong when they mentioned countries who have legalised same-sex marriage they missed out "New Zealand who legalised SSM in 2013

This speech supporting same sex marriage went viral in 2013 (and this guy was with the National [Conservative] party-which blow many lefties away-in a good way :D )

EarthninjarobotNave650
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    What about the Buddhists that wouldn't class Buddhism as a faith or religion?

There are quite a few in the Americas now I think.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I still fear it would be a drop in the bucket, so to speak.

• LionduckLionduck Veteran

Buddhism is still relatively new to the Americas. It is true that we are as yet relatively small in numbers. However, patience and persistence, our roots are set and Buddhism is growing in these parts.