Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Was The Buddha A Doormat ?

2»

Comments

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

I wanted to buy one of these, but my wife wouldn't let me. She's funny that way...

silverShoshin
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    That's so true...I guess there will always be communication problems in cyber space, plus one can never tell what kind of mood a reader of the comment might bring with them to the thread....

I put my life on the line every time I start a thread :D

Just like in face-to-face life, over TIME we get to know our online friends, even if all we have is an avatar, words-on-a-page, and their thoughts, opinions and other hints. Over time a person takes shape.

It's funny though how first impressions are. On another forum, a person's gender is listed beneath their avatar as well as their age (these things are optional but many have it all out there). In spite of this, my first impression of a very 'vocal' poster was that she was a young female, like a twenty-something young woman. I even responded EEEK in a PM with language I'd use for a young, fiercely convicted woman. Turns out, this post is a 65 year old STRAIGHT man! There's just something about his writing style . . .

I've noticed on that board there are hardly ANY females, but I suspect there are many who just opt not to disclose their gender because it is a debate forum. I've already noticed that men feel more comfy debating other men and are reluctant to really let me have it, even if I deserve it :D . Or I'm just ignored in a neutral way. I don't take it to mean anything personal. I think some men feel uncomfortable doing slash-and-burn debate with females, some others are sexist, and the younger posters have no problem at all with either :)

Back to the topic :blush:

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    It's easy to allow someone to spit at or hurt you but what would Buddha do if he stumbled upon a madman beating his aunt and they were the only ones around?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

spark him out.

Mindfully.

WalkerDavid
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    That's what I figure too.
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    There's often talk amongst Buddhists along the lines of "Just because I'm a Buddhist this doesn't mean I'm a doormat!"
    In other words retaliation of some sort is called for when under attack....

This got me 'thinking' ...If the historical Buddha was around today would he be seen as a doormat ? For example would he retaliate when abused verbally or physically ?

-Wu...