Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Prayers for dying pets?

edited April 2007 in Buddhism Basics
I'm sorry...I know this has been addressed before...but I can't find it.

Can anyone tell me an appropriate prayer, or actions, to attend a dying pet?

Thank you.

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    The best thing you can do is say OM MANI PEME HUNG in their ears, or even better, OM AMI DEWA HRI (Amitabha's mantra). Either will help the critter avoid a lower rebirth. If you know how, you can also do Phowa once they pass, but if you don't know how, the mantras will work fine.

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2007
    harlan wrote:
    I'm sorry...I know this has been addressed before...but I can't find it.

Can anyone tell me an appropriate prayer, or actions, to attend a dying pet?

Thank you.

I have no specific 'prayer' for such sad times. When one of my animal friends is dying, I try to spend as much time as I can with them, having ensured that they are suffering the least pain possible. If they can support stroking, I stroke. I also talk to them. I assure them that they are loved and that they have a special place in my loving memory. I 'remind' them (and myself, of course) of the life we have led together.

It's all I can do: stay near them as they enter the transition and welcome the dark.

Not much different from supporting dying human animals really.

I'm not sure whether Tibetan spirituality envisages benefit to dying animals in reciting verses from the Bardo Thodol but you may find it helps you, Harlan.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Ha Ha, Simon! Beat ya! :winkc:

Oh, sorry...

Palzang

edited February 2007
    Palzang wrote:
    Ha Ha, Simon! Beat ya! :winkc:

Oh, sorry...

Palzang

No apology needed. Thanks for the info.
  • edited February 2007
    Thank you very much for the replies.

I know intent is more important than words, but would like to say these correctly. Any audio links of such? My only connection other Buddhists and learning is the internet right now...so I'm very ignorant of correct practices. I woke the other night, and became aware that while I was sleeping with my kitty, my subconscious was repeating over and over: 'Om mani padme hum'. I figured I'd picked it up somewhere, and thought it might be a corruption of a proper prayer.
    Palzang wrote:
    The best thing you can do is say OM MANI PEME HUNG in their ears, or even better, OM AMI DEWA HRI (Amitabha's mantra). Either will help the critter avoid a lower rebirth. If you know how, you can also do Phowa once they pass, but if you don't know how, the mantras will work fine.

Palzang

Thank you, again.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    I don't know where you can find a recording of it. There are various ways of pronouncing it anyway. OM rhymes with HOME, MANI is pronounced MA (like ma-ma) KNEE, PEME is pronounced PAY MAY (you can also say PADMA, like the character in Star Wars, either way is fine), HUNG can be pronounced HUM (rhymes with BOOM) or HUNG (rhymes with JUNG, like the psychologist). The other one is pronounced OM (as above), AMI like AH ME, DEWA like DAY WAH, and HRI like it looks (rhymes with SEE).

Hope that helps. Sorry for my lack of linguistics skills! Intention is more important than getting it exactly right though.

Palzang
  • edited February 2007
    Thank you. :)
  • edited February 2007
    harlan, if I may ask...do you have a pet that is dying? If so, my thoughts are with you and your animal friend. :(
  • edited February 2007
    Yes. My 'li' buddy', Lucky, has been diagnosed with feline leukemia. It's been a rough three weeks...a downward spiral. One night, about two weeks ago...I realized that he was going to die...and that I had none nothing of good for him. I mean...I never shared the Dharma with him. I really feel like this cat, out of several others, is meant to be reborn as a human. He is different.

So, last week we decided to stop some of the medications that were supposed to help...but which I felt were drugging him up badly (stopped eating, drinking, moving and unable to use the cat box). Since my husband is rabidly against my interest in Buddhism, I've secretly been praying for him. He is doing much better for the time being.

Thank you for asking.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    I'm glad you seem to be letting things run their course. That's the best way. I am definitely not in favor of putting pets to sleep. It may seem superficially to be a kindness, bringing an end to their suffering or whatever, but in reality it may just be condemning them to repeat the whole thing.

Palzang
  • edited February 2007
    If I think my friend wants to go...I will have him put to sleep. This illness is taking a different course from the last cat I had that died. That time...I decided to 'let nature take it's course.' She was dying from kidney failure...and she suffered horribly. One night, she came to me in my sleep and asked me to let her go. I feel it was the right thing to do in that case.
  • edited February 2007
    I am so sorry to hear that. I will also "secretly" pray for your kitty also. :) Feline leukemia is so awful. We have lost a few cats to that as well.

Hang in there!

Hugs,
    Kim
  • edited February 2007
    The thing is...he was fine until we put a flea medicine called 'Advantage' on him. We suspect that it affected his immune system...and that allowed for the latent virus to kick in. We are trying an experimental therapy of Interferon. I may ask for Imunoregulan as well. We will see.

The good thing: it has given me a focus for implementing Buddhism in my life.
  • edited February 2007
    Hi Harlan,

Sorry to hear about your pet. I had to put my pug (picture shown here) to sleep about 3 weeks ago. We adopted him when he was pretty old (9 years), so we knew our time was pretty limited. Suddenly he started getting constant diarrhea and losing weight. We all thought it was bacteria, or parasites, or something, but after three months, and many medicines later, we narrowed it down to colon cancer.

By that point, he was really emaciated, and in a lot of pain, so we decided to put him to sleep. Like you, my wife had a dream about our dog, and he said "I hurt", so that was sign. Then he just stopped eating and just laid in bed for days before we took him in.

Putting our dog to sleep was really, really heart-breaking, but it was clear he had very little time left. It still really hurts to think about it, especially since I feel guilty for having put him to sleep. Still, it taught me two things:

1. To cherish the time we have with loved ones because it really is short (one might even say impermanent...)
    2. What I did, I did out of compassion. It doesn't make it easy by any means, but I am glad we could put him to sleep when we did and the way we did.

I really feel for you and the time you're going through. I hope you and your dog both find peace in the end.

P.S. In regards to prayers, I did teach my dog the "nembutsu" which is somethiing found in Japanese Shin Buddhism. I think I once tried to teach the Heart Sutra too. I don't know how much good it does, but I figure maybe it will have some kind of positive influence on his life, whereever, whatever it is now.
  • edited February 2007
    Thank you for sharing your story. I don't know how this disease progresses...but he has perked up considerably this past week. The little guy was so bone thin, not eating, not moving...that we decided to stop the aggressive therapy. After one week of praying, feeding him by syringe, and using a cancer drug...he is up and about. Eating, drinking, walking.

I assume it's some kind of remission, and that he will take a downturn at some point. Until then...I'll keep praying.

Thank you, guys, for the support.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Dear Harlan,

My heart goes out to you! I recently had a cat die and I was with her during the process (we didn't put her down, just let nature take her course) and it was my first experience with death up close. It was quite an experience and I went through a whole gamut of emotions. It was difficult but worth it in the end.

It's heartbreaking to watch an animal friend go through any kind of suffering much less the suffering of the ending of his/her life. If you're able to let nature take her course it could be a win win situation for both of you because you will have experienced something we in the West rarely allow ourselves to and he may die in the best way he can, karmically speaking. But if you feel the need to put him to sleep at some point you will still have had the experience with death that we need. On the surface this kind of situation can seem so brutal and painful, so heartbreaking. And it is. But when you look a little deeper you'll see the workings of reality more clearly which will be of the greatest benefit to you. Try to relax into the pain and allow it to run its course because it will be temporary but the benefits of experiencing it will not.

I'm sending you all my love and I'll be thinking of you often as you go through this experience. Even though it sucks so badly there is good to be had as well.

All my love,
    Boo
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    The whole issue of whether to put a pet to sleep or not when it is suffering is a complex one. I understand the motivation for putting a pet to sleep when it's suffering - we want to end the pet's suffering, it's painful for us to see a loved one going through this, but are we really ending its suffering? What is really going on when the pet is suffering is that it is playing out its karma. In other words, its suffering is not due to external causes but to causes which that being set in motion itself. So by interrupting that process, are we really being of benefit to that sentient being? Or are we condemning it to got through the whole process all over again in a future life?

I've been taught to let nature take its course because in the big picture that's going to be best for the being in question. It's difficult, very difficult, I know, but I think you have to back off a little and look at the overall effect of your actions. Better, I would say, to make the pet as comfortable as possible while going through the process.

Palzang
  • edited February 2007
    If my pet asks me for release, I will give it to him. It's not for me to weigh his suffering...we all suffer. This is a cat that I rescued from a crack house. One that had been hit by a car, and was running around on two broken/unfixable legs for a month before I came upon him. He never complains...and is sweet natured for all the pain he is in. This odd little cat wakes me up every morning by insisting on giving me 'cat kisses'...grabs my face with both paws so I can't get away and insists on kissing on the lips. Pretty nasty actually, but this past week I've regretting shooing him away...

I don't pass by suffering. Should I have let the animal die on the street? Should I currently withhold medicine, or food and water if it can't feed it's self? NO. It's my job to alleviate suffering.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying, but what will really alleviate the suffering?

Palzang
  • edited February 2007
    Massive quantities of drugs for pain? Food and water for physical suffering? Loving words for internal comfort? Personally, I think that touching is physically painful...so resist stroking when they need to focus.

What other suffering is there for an animal?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Hmmm, I'm not sure you're following my argument. I'm looking at more than this life. Karma has to be worked out. Not even the Buddha can remove someone's negative karma. All I'm saying is best to let the karma play out and keep the pet as comfortable as possible. Just my opinion.

Palzang
  • edited February 2007
    Palzang wrote:
    Hmmm, I'm not sure you're following my argument. I'm looking at more than this life. Karma has to be worked out. Not even the Buddha can remove someone's negative karma. All I'm saying is best to let the karma play out and keep the pet as comfortable as possible. Just my opinion.

Palzang

I don't understand. Why is it so important to let someone suffer in order to "work out their karma" than to help them?

There's enough negative karma built up over one's lives that it probably can't be worked out even under the most painful of circumstances. Negative karma and suffering are just a part of life.

I think true compassion has to look beyond metaphysical issues, and simply inspire people to help others in pain, without hesitation or calculation. Based on what's taught in the Diamond Sutra, I believe this is the case. "After the Bodhisattva has saved all beings, he does not think he has saved a single one." There's no calculation in true compassion. You just help people when they're suffering.

Please trust me in that having been through what I have, I know I made the right decision. Euthanasia sucks, but please know it was right decision for me. If I incurred any negative karma, so be it.
  • edited February 2007
    If suffering was the only way to work off karma...Buddha would never have shared the Noble Path. Just to hear the Dharma is to relieve suffering...is medicine.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    I never said "don't help them". All I said was don't kill them. There's a world of difference between the two. Perhaps it would help to view your pet as your own dear mother (which it was at some point). Would you kill your mother if she were dying from cancer? What's the difference?

Palzang
  • edited February 2007
    Yes. If my mother asked me to help her....I would kill my mother if she was dying of cancer. I believe in the right to die. There is no difference.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Well, then you and I are on different paths. The Buddha taught that one should never, ever take a human life, not for any reason. He didn't make exceptions. Why do you think he said that? A human life is so rare and precious. It's like hitting the grand slam lottery every day for a year. That's how rare and precious. I don't believe in unnecessarily prolonging life with mechanical or pharmaceutical props once life is over, but I would never, ever consider killing someone for any reason. And it's not out of a lack of compassion, believe me!

Palzang
  • edited February 2007
    I guess so. Hopefully, it won't deter you from responding to my questions in the future...as it would seem that I have much to learn.
  • edited February 2007
    I guess this breaks down again if the precepts are to be taken literally with no exception whatsoever or if reason and insight allow a judgment. You shall / You shall not is the way one talks to infants. Personally, I have had it not only with Christian Dogmas, but with all Dogmas. If someoneone suffers so much that he cannot pursue the path any more, or generally speaking, suffers greatly without hope of becoming healthy again, I would help him/her to die. If someone is simply depressed and wants to kill himself out of emotional pain that is temporary, I would try to convince him that he is doing wrong.

Regards
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    It's not at all about "thou shouldst" and "thou shoudst nots", fofoo. It's about examining the Buddha's teachings and, as my teacher says, "connecting the dots." If you accept what the Buddha taught about sentient beings being born, dying and being reborn continuously, and if you accept what the Buddha taught about the Law of Karma, then you have no choice logically but to accept the truth of the Buddha's teaching about not killing. It's really just following the logic. Then you understand that literally nothing you can do can remove another's karmic ripening. Nothing at all mystical or dogmatic about it. By killing another sentient being to "end their suffering," what you're really doing is taking care of your needs rather than the needs of the other sentient being. In reality, you're not doing them any favors. What you're doing is condemning them to reexperience it all over again in another life. Karma is exacting, and it will play out, no matter what you do. Of course, karma can be pacified so that the ripening is more benign, but never eliminated.

Perhaps you recall the story of the Buddha suffering a headache. One
    of his disciples asked how could he, an enlightened being, suffer physical discomfort in this way. The Buddha explained that it was simply a karmic ripening from a time when he was not yet enlightened - a much more benign ripening than might ordinarily be experienced as I think it had to do with killing, but a ripening nonetheless.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Harlan, I do understand where you're coming from. Your motivation is the right one, and I have no problem with your motivation. Treasure that. It's what will give birth to bodhicitta. Understanding karma is one of the most difficult things for us as Westerners to get our minds around, and it takes a long, long time (I would hardly say I have it mastered either, based on my behavior at times!). So I don't take umbrage (or even get irritated) by your view on the matter. Buddhism is a gradual thing, like peeling the layers of an onion, a process, in other words. So I'm trying my best to communicate what I've learned in the best way I can, and that's all. If I'm wrong, then I beg your forgiveness. If I'm right and you don't accept it, then that's OK too. It's not really about right and wrong anyway, but sharing any wisdom and experience that we have managed to garner along our confused way through this life. I don't expect everybody to believe stuff just because I said it! My ego isn't quite that big... I can't hold a candle to bf, for example! ;)

Palzang
  • edited February 2007
    I guess I don't understand fully the problem with killing. I don't kill other people because it is a social taboo. At other times, there has been an appreciation of sentience and the preciousness of life. But it's all a temporary state anyway, so I just don't understand how transitioning a being between bardos interferes with their karma.
  • edited February 2007
    Palzang wrote:

Perhaps you recall the story of the Buddha suffering a headache. One
    of his disciples asked how could he, an enlightened being, suffer physical discomfort in this way. The Buddha explained that it was simply a karmic ripening from a time when he was not yet enlightened - a much more benign ripening than might ordinarily be experienced as I think it had to do with killing, but a ripening nonetheless.

Palzang

It is indeed a bit confusing for me, since an Arhant does not produce Karma anyways any more, so his suicide would not have karmic consequences at all, i.e. not lead to a new birth. From what i read, suicide was not recommended, not usual, but happend ocassionally even among arhants. When we talk about karma, i think it is safe to say that there is a difference between killing out of compassion and out of ill will.

Regards
  • edited February 2007
    Is there ever a case when killing is not killing?

I mean...I've read about these holy men in Japan who basically committed suicide by starving themselves to death. The whole...go down to one grain of rice a day thing. These guys were venerated. But it is still suicide...holy or not.

When is death not death?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    fofoo wrote:
    It is indeed a bit confusing for me, since an Arhant does not produce Karma anyways any more, so his suicide would not have karmic consequences at all, i.e. not lead to a new birth. From what i read, suicide was not recommended, not usual, but happend ocassionally even among arhants. When we talk about karma, i think it is safe to say that there is a difference between killing out of compassion and out of ill will.

Yes, of course motivation matters, but the karma of killing is still killing, even if it's inadvertent (like killing bugs with your car as you drive). You can't, of course, live in the world without killing, but you do want to limit it as much as possible.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    harlan wrote:
    I guess I don't understand fully the problem with killing. I don't kill other people because it is a social taboo. At other times, there has been an appreciation of sentience and the preciousness of life. But it's all a temporary state anyway, so I just don't understand how transitioning a being between bardos interferes with their karma.

Not killing people because it will land you in jail for life isn't really much of a motivation. It works (for most people), but the real reason you don't want to kill people is because of the Buddha's teaching on the preciousness of human rebirth. Only as a human can one practice the Dharma and escape the Wheel of Cyclic Existence. That's why it's such heinous karma to kill a human, even a demonic horror like Sadaam Hussein. According to the Buddha's teaching, it takes tons of merit to even be born a human, much less be born in a time when the Dharma is extant, where you have an opportunity to hear and practice the Dharma, and you have all faculties needed to practice it.
    If you kill a sentient being to alleviate their suffering, you are interrupting the stream of their karmic ripening. As I said, karma is exacting. It's like energy - it will play out completely at some time when the conditions are right. So you can't "save" a being from the results of its karma. The only karma you have control over is your own, and even then it's more in the sense of avoiding creating negative karma than "fixing" negative karma you've already accrued. For example, let's say it's someone's (or something's) karma to be killed, and it's your karma to kill that being. If you refrain from killing that being, however, you interrupt the cycle of karma - essentially putting an end to it. So that's why it's important to put the Buddha's teachings into practice because you can stop creating the karma that keeps you bound to cyclic existence and instead begin to create the karma that will free you from it.

Palzang
  • edited February 2007
    Can one take on another's karma?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    No. If that were the case, don't you think every Buddha out there would do that? Buddhas by their very nature can't stand the idea of sentient beings suffering, and if there was some way to remove that suffering, they'd do it. Now, you can dedicate your merit to others (in fact, you should!). That can help mitigate their karma. That's how lamas help their students with rough times when their karma ripens in what could be disastrous ways, but through the dedication of their vast stores of merit to the student, it may ripen much more benignly. Example: one time one of our anis (an ani is a Buddhist nun - ani means "auntie" in Tibetan) was driving along a road in Maryland on the way to the temple. As she rounded a curve, another car was in her lane, and she couldn't avoid hitting him. This could have been a disastrous accident, but instead it ripened relatively benignly, damaging her car but not her. And it just so "happened" that Jetsunma (our teacher) was driving by that exact spot at that exact moment (coincidence? I don't think so!), so she helped the ani and made sure she was OK.

Another time the same ani went to the doctor, and he discovered an aortic aneurysm in her abdomen. So she was rushed to surgery where they had to do an aortic graft post haste. Obviously Jetsunma and all of us were praying hard for her and dedicating whatever scraps of merit we could generate to her health. She did survive the surgery (barely) and has now more or less completely recovered - still working her butt off 18+ hours a day despite being told to slow down! Jetsunma told her afterwards (long afterwards ,thank goodness) that she had actually died on the table during the surgery and that the karma for causing her death had been there, but the force of the merit being generated for her had brought her back.

So yeah, to a degree karma can be purified or at least mitigated. It's a wonderful experience to actually see it happen, like in the examples above, and it's something I've had the great privilege to see happen many times in our sangha. But still, all the same, everyone will one day die. That's life in samsara!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    When my cat Samantha was dying in my room I kept her warm and as comfortable as possible but gave her space because when I was working in the hospital the nurses on the chronic ward told me that people will most often go once they're alone. So I stayed close but not too close because I didn't want her to hold on and prolong her suffering and I kept quiet. I kept watching my emotions really closely, especially my desire to alleviate her suffering. I asked myself over and over how much I just wanted her to have a needle and be done with it and how much that desire was for my own comfort and how much of it was for hers. Her death process took 4 hours so I had a lot of time to think about things. It was difficult to witness but not excruciating. I comforted myself with the knowledge that we had given her a better life than she would ever have had outside (the life expectancy of outdoor cats is only a few years compared to indoor cats who can live upwards of 13 years) and we'd loved her with all our might. We euthanized the two previous cats because we couldn't stand to watch them suffer. Having experienced both situations I felt better about the way Samantha died and I don't know why. It just felt more complete, like she'd had the opportunity to complete her life without my interference. Obviously I was also influenced by the Buddha's teachings on karma but even when I tried to put what I'd learned aside and just viscerally experience her death it felt more complete, more fair. I don't know. It was just something me and Samantha had to do.

But, I can understand completely why others would want to put an end to the suffering of their animal friends and I don't even know if I'm going to have the strength to watch another one of my cats die in front of me. I don't know. I just don't know. I want to do what's best for them in the long run. I love them so much. I don't want to interfere in the working through of their karma and I want to be able to view the whole thing with equanimity but it's so hard. Emotionally, though, it's been easier to let Samantha go than it has the other ones, especially the ones who were given the needle when I wasn't there.

Thank you Palzang, and everyone for your thoughts on this. It's a heart wrenching issue, that's for sure.

Harlan, those "cat kisses" are the sweetest thing I've ever heard.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Thank you, Brigid. It is a very difficult subject to deal with because applying the Buddha's teachings to death can seem cold and heartless to those who don't understand where you're coming from. And we're not at all taught how to deal with death in this culture. Death is hushed up, hidden, painted over (applying makeup to dead bodies is one of the most perverse things I can imagine!) and just not discussed. So of course we don't know how to deal with it when it comes to visit us at home!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    That's so true and I've been thinking a lot about it recently. I've only seen 2 dead bodies in my life and they were painted corpses at funeral parlours. Every bit of reality was hidden as best as could be by the funeral directors. I want to face the reality of death as much as possible and it's difficult because it's so hushed up and hidden away unless it's part of some sort of crime story and then it's simply fictionalized. I would like to have a frank discussion with a coroner and a funeral director because the more unpleasant aspects of the human corpse are never discussed and I need to be able to visualize all of it. We're overly protected from the unpleasant.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    I think one of the best things I ever did for my Buddhist practice happened long before I became a Buddhist when I worked as an orderly and an autopsy assistant in college and and also took gross anatomy in grad school. I saw lots of death in all forms and in all ages. It was an excellent education in impermanence.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    That's the kind of thing I need, as strange as that may sound! lol!
    edited February 2007
    Chris (my late wife) and I planned what to do about her body and funeral. I had spoken to our funeral director neighbour 24 hours before she died. They had been friends for many years and he wanted to be involved in preparing the body. Our doctor (ditto many years) told me that he wanted to attend, even if he was not 'on duty'.

When she died (6 a.m. on Sunday morning), the doctor came out immediately and the undertaker when I had washed and laid out her body. It was taken next door and returned to us, in a coffin, on Monday afternoon. The coffin was placed on trestles in our livingroom, lid loosely laid on top. There it stayed until the funeral the following Saturday.

A moment of semi-hysterical laughter eripted the first time we took the lid off and looked at her body. We had supplied a favourite dress and there it was but her hair....! And bigmouth me says: "She wouldn't be seen dead with her hair back like that!" Collapse all round. So we did her hair as it she be done.

Having attended far too many funerals, I had come to the conclusion that the modern process is calculated to shock. What usually happens is that the body is taken away and then, after some days, a wooden box is produced in church or wherever. This time, the coffin had become familiar, and familiarity breeds acceptance. There were even coffee mug rings among the candlewax marks.

Jack was 9 at the time and took great pride in showing his dead mother to his friends. Only one parent complained and I gave her short shrift, particularly as she declares herself to be deeply Christian.

Nothing is quite so helpful in the process of grief as to witness, with one's own eyes, the gentle dissolution of even a body part-embalmed. Not even my assisting my father in his path lab with his Home Office forensic work was of as much benefit as those days and nights where we watched, prayerful, tearful or even just sleepy, by the body of a person who was so loved and so loving.

P.S. In one row, she had burned a favourite pair of my shoes on a bonfire so we put her favourites in there with her, along with other grave goods. Funny how times change: as an archaeologist, I was taught to recognise a Christian grave because it had no grave goods whereas pagan graves do!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Everyone knows you're a pagan at heart, Simon! :grin:

To most people, Brigid, you're right, it does sound like a very strange, even ghoulish thing to do, but in Tibetan Buddhism it's considered quite normal. In the old days, when "sky burials" were more common, or when the great charnel grounds of India still existed, chod practitioners would practice in the midst of death and gore in order to help them release attachment to their own bodies.

As for what to do with a body after death, for me, cremation is the best. I was so happy that both my parents decided, quite on their own, on that route. They didn't want any funeral or anything like that, nor the massive funeral bills that come with it. Cremation is also the method used for lamas when they die (in Tibet, most people practiced sky burial in the old days - cutting up the bodies and grinding the bones into dust for the vultures to feast on). I personally like the idea of returning the elements to nature quickly, rather than rotting in a box in the ground.

Tibetan Buddhists also believe that the body should not be touched after death for a period - 3 days if possible, other than the usual washing and things. And when someone is dying, it's best not to touch them except for tugging gently on the hair at the top of the head. It is taught that the consciousness leaves the body at the time of death through one of the gateways of the body, and the best one to leave through is the crown chakra at the top of the head. That will lead to an auspicious rebirth, whereas leaving through one of the other orifices, like the anus, for example, could result in a lower rebirth. Not easy to do in our culture, I know, but something to keep in mind.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2007
    This is a great thread. Lovely posts, Simon and Palzang. I thought about the word 'Lovely' as a description, but I actually think it's quite apt.

Thank you both.
  • edited February 2007
    Palzang wrote:
    I never said "don't help them". All I said was don't kill them. There's a world of difference between the two. Perhaps it would help to view your pet as your own dear mother (which it was at some point). Would you kill your mother if she were dying from cancer? What's the difference?

Palzang

Point well taken. One can certainly argue that's it never good to kill anything, let alone someone you love. I wonder though if it can be considered the only reasonable option remaining. I think that's what I felt at the time I had to put my dog to sleep. Arguably, it would unquestionably lead to bad karma, but I felt at the time that I'd rather ease his suffering than avoid the karma.

If it were my mother, I probably would end her suffering if she requested. However, can a dog request euthansia? No, and that's where the solution isn't so clear.

Food for thought. Sorry for the misunderstanding earlier.
  • edited February 2007
    Palzang wrote:
    I think one of the best things I ever did for my Buddhist practice happened long before I became a Buddhist when I worked as an orderly and an autopsy assistant in college and and also took gross anatomy in grad school. I saw lots of death in all forms and in all ages. It was an excellent education in impermanence.

Palzang

Amen to that. My mother (speaking of cancer) was in the hospital many times due to breast cancer, and I always found that hospitals reminded me of important truths such as impermanance and compassion for the suffering.

Your background as an autopsy assistant reminds me of a Shin Buddhist book by a gravedigger who talks about similar topics, and the things he came to realize while tending to the dead. Sadly I can't remember the title. Anyways, I hear lots of praise for the book, so if anyone finds it, feel free to give it a read. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    If you happen to recall the name of the book, let me know. I'd like to read it.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    An interesting book excerpt I found on the PBS site:

According to traditional stories of the life of the Buddha, he first decided to leave his home and seek enlightenment after encountering the “four sights” – (1) a sick person, (2) an old person, (3) a corpse, and (4) a world renouncer. The first three epitomize the sufferings to which ordinary beings are subjects and the last indicates that one can transcend them through meditation and religious practice. The greatest problem of all is death, the final cessation of all our hopes and dreams, our successes and failures, our loves, hates, worries, and plans.

From its inception, Buddhism has stressed the importance of death, since awareness of death is what prompted the Buddha to perceive the ultimate futility of worldly concerns and pleasures. Realizing that death is inevitable for a person who is caught up in worldly pleasures and attitudes, he resolved to renounce the world and devote himself to finding a solution to this most basic of existential dilemmas. After years of diligent and difficult practice he became enlightened, and through this he transcended death. His life provides his followers with a model to emulate, and even today Buddhist teachers strongly advise their students to meditate on death and impermanence, since they are powerful counteragents to short-sighted concern with the present life and one's own transitory happiness. Buddhist teachers also point out that according to tradition Buddha began his teaching career discussing death and impermanence in his first sermon on the four noble truths, and he also ended his career with teachings on death and impermanence, which indicates how important they are in Buddhist teaching and practice.

Tibetan Buddhism places a particularly strong emphasis on instructions concerning death, and Tibetan literature is full of admonitions to be aware of the inevitability of death, the preciousness of the opportunities that a human birth presents, and the great value of mindfulness of death. A person who correctly grasps the inevitability, of death becomes more focused on religious practice, since he or she realizes that death is inevitable, the time of death is uncertain, and so every moment counts.

An example of this attitude can be found in the biography of Milarepa, who began his meditative practice after having killed a number of people through black magic. The realization of his impending death and the sufferings he would experience in his next lifetime prompted him to find a lama who could show him a way to avert his fate. His concern with death was so great that when he was meditating in a cave his tattered clothes fell apart, but he decided not to mend them, saying, “If I were to die this evening, it would be wiser to meditate than to do this useless sewing.”

This attitude epitomizes the ideal for a Buddhist practitioner, according to many teachers. Atisha is said to have told his students that for a person who is unaware of death, meditation has little power, but a person who is mindful of death and impermanence progresses steadily and makes the most of every precious moment. A famous saying of the school he founded, the Kadampa, holds that if one does not meditate on death in the morning, the whole morning is wasted, if one does not meditate on death at noon, the afternoon is wasted, and if one does not meditate on death at night, the evening is wasted.

In stark contrast to this attitude, most people frantically run after transitory pleasures and material objects, foolishly believing that wealth, power, friends, and family will bring lasting happiness. This is particularly prevalent in western cultures, which emphasize superficial images of happiness, material and sensual pleasures, and technological innovation as avenues to fulfillment. We are taught to crave such things, but inevitably find that the wealthy and powerful die just as surely as the poor and powerless. We try to cover up the signs of aging through cosmetics and surgery, and we attempt to hide the reality of death by putting makeup on corpses to make them appear “lifelike.” We are even taught to avoid discussion of death, since this is seen as being inappropriate in polite company and overly morbid. Instead, people tend to focus on things that turn their attention from death and surround themselves with images of superficial happiness.

As Dr. Richard Kalish states,

“Death is blasphemous and pornographic. We react to it and its symbols in the same way that we react to pornography. We avoid it. We deny it exists. We avert our eyes from its presence. We protect little children from observing it and dodge their questions about it. We speak of it only in whispers. We consider it horrible, ugly and grotesque.”

From its inception, Buddhism has taken a far different course. Anyone who has studied with a Tibetan lama has been regularly reminded of the importance of mindfulness of death. Teachings on death and impermanence are found in every facet of Tibetan Buddhist teaching, and any student who tries to overlook them is soon reminded that dharma practice requires a poignant awareness of death. Buddhist teachings emphasize the idea that although one's destiny is always influenced by past karma, every person has the ability to exercise free will and influence the course of both life and death. We all shape our own destinies, and in every moment there are opportunities for spiritual advancement. According to many Buddhist texts, death presents us with a range of important possibilities for progress.

Meditation on Death
    Buddhist meditation texts point out that we have ample evidence of death all around us, since everything is changing from moment to moment. A person wishing to ponder death need not go to a cemetery or a funeral home: death is occurring everywhere and at all times. Even the cells of our bodies are constantly being born and dying. All of us are inexorably moving toward physical death in every moment. Since every created thing is impermanent, everything we see, hear, touch, taste, love, despise, or desire is in the process of dying. There is nothing to hold onto, nothing that remains unchanged from moment to moment, and so anyone who tries to find happiness among transient created things is doomed to disappointment.

This transiency is the reason why we are prone to unhappiness and suffering, since everything we desire eventually breaks down, and we often have to put up with things that we find unpleasant. Impermanence is also essential for liberation, since the constant changing nature of cyclic existence makes progress possible. Every moment presents opportunity to train the mind in the direction of enlightenment, and since there is no fixed element to personality, every person is constantly engaged in the process of becoming something else. We do, of course, tend to fall into patterns of behavior, and it is all too easy to become caught up in negative patterns, but since every moment is a rebirth, there is always an opportunity to initiate change. A wise person, according to Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche, understands the imminence of death and plans ahead.

Warned of a hurricane, we don’t wait until the storm pounds the shore before we start to prepare. Similarly, knowing death is looming offshore, we shouldn’t wait until it overpowers us before developing the meditation skills necessary to achieve the great potential of the mind at the moment of death.

Each moment is said to give us a glimpse of the bardo (bar do, antarabhava), the intermediate state between death and rebirth, since every moment of mind passes away and is replaced by a successive moment. Reflection on one’s own mental processes graphically indicates the fleeting nature of consciousness: thoughts flow along in unending succession, each one giving way to its successor. Thoughts and emotions change in response to our experiences and perceptions, and even our most cherished ideas and aspirations are subject to change. Thus, for a person who has awareness of death, every moment becomes a lesson in death and impermanence.

Our dreams also provide an opportunity for mindfulness of death. In Tibetan Buddhist death literature it is said that at the moment of falling asleep one experiences a moment of clear light like the one that arises at the time of death. Moreover, the dream state is like the bardo, since in dreams one often conceives of oneself in a body and undergoes vivid experiences that are creations of mind, just as beings in the bardo do. Waking from a dream is similar to rebirth, since the illusory dream body passes away and we awaken to a new “reality.” Because of these similarities, dream yoga is said to be an important method for gaining control over the production of mental images, a skill that is extremely useful in the bardo.

How to Develop Mindfulness of Death
    A person wishing to develop mindfulness of death should first cultivate awareness of its inevitability. Everyone who has ever lived has died, and there is no reason to suppose that anyone presently alive will be able to escape death. Even the buddhas, bodhisattvas, and Buddhist saints of the past have all died, and so it should be clear to a person who thinks on this that the same fate awaits us all.

This understanding should not result in passivity, resignation, or morbidity; rather, it should spur us to greater diligence in religion practice. Every moment should be viewed as being infinitely precious, and we should make the utmost effort to use our time to the best advantage.

After making this decision, the meditator considers the uncertainty of the time of death and decides that it might occur at any moment, which should lead to a resolve to begin practicing dharma immediately. Practice should not be put off until the future, but should begin right now. A person who thinks, “I’ll wait until the children are grown,” “After I finish this semester I’ll begin meditating,” or “I just don't have enough time right now,” will probably never get around to meditation, and even if he does, meditation will most likely be halfhearted. A person who wishes to make real progress must feel a strong, sense of urgency, like a person caught in a burning house looking, for a way out.

The next stage in this process is coming to understand that at the time of death only spiritual accomplishments will be of any worth. Material possessions, friends and relatives, worldly acclaim and power all vanish at the time of death, leaving nothing behind. None of these can be carried over into the next life. Moreover, one’s future birth will be determined by one’s actions in this life, and so one should resolve to practice meditation and other religious activities diligently.

It is also important not to think that in one’s next lifetime one will necessarily be born as a human. According to Buddhist teachings on rebirth, a human life is very rare, and it is much more likely that one will be born in some other life situation, and if this happens one’s chances for becoming aware of the problems of cyclic existence and seeking a solution are greatly diminished. Humans are uniquely situated in cyclic existence: we are intelligent enough to recognize the problems and sufferings of cyclic existence (unlike lower types of beings such as animals), and we are not so overwhelmed by either suffering or happiness that we are blinded to the realities of cyclic existence. A person who understands this situation should become keenly aware of death and resolve to “extract the essence” of the present life.

from Chapter 10 of An Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism, by John Powers, Snow Lion Publications, 1995.
  • edited February 2007
    Palzang wrote:
    An interesting book excerpt I found on the PBS site:

From its inception, Buddhism has stressed the importance of death, since awareness of death is what prompted the Buddha to perceive the ultimate futility of worldly concerns and pleasures. Realizing that death is inevitable for a person who is caught up in worldly pleasures and attitudes, he resolved to renounce the world and devote himself to finding a solution to this most basic of existential dilemmas.
    Tibetan Buddhism places a particularly strong emphasis on instructions concerning death, and Tibetan literature is full of admonitions to be aware of the inevitability of death, the preciousness of the opportunities that a human birth presents, and the great value of mindfulness of death. A person who correctly grasps the inevitability, of death becomes more focused on religious practice, since he or she realizes that death is inevitable, the time of death is uncertain, and so every moment counts.

If I can add some perspective on this, I think Buddhism stresses the importance of death, but of life as well. :)

I read a really good book on the Hua-Yen school of Buddhism, which was a major school of philosophy in Tang Dynasty China. The Hua-Yen school really, really emphasized the teachings of the Avatamsaka Sutra ("The Flower Garland" sutra) and Emptiness.

What was interesting though was how they were able to take something like Emptiness and emphasize the interdependence of all things. They see it as not just simply lacking something (permanent identity) but rather they emphasized the dynamic nature of Emptiness.

Later East Asian schools of Buddhism continued with this idea. Shingon Buddhism, another esoteric Buddhist school, emphasizes the potential of Buddhahood within you. As you become a light for others, this helps all beings because we are interdependent. As a Shingon monk I know said, "When you smile, the world smiles."

In the Jodo Shinshu (Shin Buddhism) school, which focuses on humility and gratitude, there's a lot of emphasis on how we live through the compassion of others, not the least of which is Amida Buddha. Because we are interdependent, the kindness and compassion of others helps us through our journey, and realizing this helps one be grateful for life. This gratitude in turn becomes compassion toward all living things, and leads us further down the path.