Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Prayers for dying pets?

2»

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    No argument there. Thich Nhat Hanh wrote a beautiful description of the vows in one of his books. For example, the vow against killing shouldn't be interpreted as just avoiding killing, but also as promoting life. So if you just live by the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law, you're missing the point.

However, death is, as the author says, extremely important in Tibetan Buddhism. It is the spur which gets us to practice, that makes us want to get off the Wheel. It is also a very special time because when you die, you have the opportunity (if you are able to take advantage of it) of actually experiencing emptiness, of attaining instant enlightenment, in other words. That is why the teachings on phowa (the transference of consciousness at the time of death) are so precious and valuable.

Palzang
  • edited February 2007
    I don't find anything special about dying. I recall my last moments in a previous life...and finally understand how that memory has played out, in a karmic way, in this life. The passing from this bardo needs to be done in a certain way to avoid the traces in the next. Perhaps this is my motivation for wanting to see animals pass without pain in the end. For them to have a chance to see the 'clear light'.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    harlan wrote:
    I don't find anything special about dying. I recall my last moments in a previous life...and finally understand how that memory has played out, in a karmic way, in this life. The passing from this bardo needs to be done in a certain way to avoid the traces in the next. Perhaps this is my motivation for wanting to see animals pass without pain in the end.
    I don't want to impose or pry but if you ever feel like describing those last moments of your previous life I'd be so interested, Harlan. But I'd completely understand if you'd rather not discuss it here. I love the sentence you started your post with. It reminds me of the story Pema Chodron tells about Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche reminding his students that everything, even our great moments of insight or our dark moments of despair, are really "no big deal". I feel that death is incredibly important but at the same time I feel like it's "no big deal".

Palzang,

I have a bit of a fascination with death in the sense that I want to be ready and consciously able to get the most that I can out of it and I wonder if you could either tell me a bit more about what I can do at the time of death or maybe point me in the right direction for some research. I guess what I'm looking for is the idiot's guide to dying well or understanding phowa for beginners. I'm going to do some of my own broad research on the topic when I finish this post but you're probably the only person I know who can really answer my questions properly. I want to know what to do if, for example, I'm in a car accident and I have a few seconds or minutes before I die. What should I be concentrating on? What can I do to keep from going into shock so I can do whatever it is I need to do during the moments before death? How can I prepare myself in the short term in case I find myself in that sort of situation and haven't had time to study and practice the more advanced teachings on how to die? And so on and so on and so on.

I pour most of my attention into the here and now and living as good a life as I can, of course, like everyone else here. But I have this sense of urgency to learn what I should know about how to die, even if it's only a rudimentary understanding for now. Since we don't know when or how we're going to go the uncertainty of it is pushing me towards some kind of understanding.

Anyway, this is something that's on my mind a lot and now that I think about it, it's pretty off topic for this thread so after I do my broad research I'll start a new thread in case anyone's interested in it and in case anyone can help me find some concrete answers.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    understanding phowa for beginners
    Having just reread my post the sentence above jumped out at me as being a little ridiculous. I imagine the teachings on phowa are most probably very advanced teachings and there's probably no such thing as phowa for beginners. But I'm sure you get what I'm asking.
  • edited February 2007
    I have always had a past life memory. I can remember events from the time I was 3, 2, 1...and I remember dying. Exploring Buddhism has finally given me some kind of paradigm to understand this.

When 'I' died the last thing I recall was looking at my hands. Just a man that died in some field, alone in the rain, 'my' hands were cut and bleeding from trying to crawl through sharp grass. My last impression, looking at those hands, was that I had failed others/failed my mission.

Whether or not this 'memory' is real is not important...but I've come to realize that a deep attachment to fear, and failing others, has run through my entire life. And it isn't a simple case of altruism...there is a deep clinging to fear for self-preservation of ego as well....many levels to untie. Prior to meeting my teacher, I was 'blind' to the attachment to fear. I see now how it determined my actions and non-actions in this life. This 'memory' was something that was always 'there'...but after an abrupt change in POV...it was 'untied'...dissolved...burnt up.
    Brigid wrote:
    I don't want to impose or pry but if you ever feel like describing those last moments of your previous life I'd be so interested.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Brigid wrote:
    Palzang,

I have a bit of a fascination with death in the sense that I want to be ready and consciously able to get the most that I can out of it and I wonder if you could either tell me a bit more about what I can do at the time of death or maybe point me in the right direction for some research. I guess what I'm looking for is the idiot's guide to dying well or understanding phowa for beginners. I'm going to do some of my own broad research on the topic when I finish this post but you're probably the only person I know who can really answer my questions properly. I want to know what to do if, for example, I'm in a car accident and I have a few seconds or minutes before I die. What should I be concentrating on? What can I do to keep from going into shock so I can do whatever it is I need to do during the moments before death? How can I prepare myself in the short term in case I find myself in that sort of situation and haven't had time to study and practice the more advanced teachings on how to die? And so on and so on and so on.

I pour most of my attention into the here and now and living as good a life as I can, of course, like everyone else here. But I have this sense of urgency to learn what I should know about how to die, even if it's only a rudimentary understanding for now. Since we don't know when or how we're going to go the uncertainty of it is pushing me towards some kind of understanding.

Anyway, this is something that's on my mind a lot and now that I think about it, it's pretty off topic for this thread so after I do my broad research I'll start a new thread in case anyone's interested in it and in case anyone can help me find some concrete answers.

I'd say the very best thing you could do is study phowa with a phowa master. If you're interested, I know that Jetsunma is planning to hold a phowa retreat sometime soon, though no dates have been set for it yet. If you're ever going to do it, she's the one to do it with! Afterall, she accomplished the deathless state of Amitayus with Guru Rinpoche in Marathika Cave in her life as Mandarava. So she's the best. Check our website, www.tara.org, to see when it might be scheduled. Open to anyone. I did the retreat (it's a whole week) way back in the early '90s with her, and it was life-changing. Or should I say death-changing?!:smilec:

There are also some good books on phowa and preparing for death, including Advice and Practices for Death and Dying by Lama Zopa Rinpoche, The Bardo Teachings (7 DVD set) by the Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche, and Journey of the Mind by Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche. There are others as well. You can find them on the Snow Lion website.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Wow! Thank you so much for all that info, Palzang. I've got a few sites on phowa saved as well so I can get a beginner's overview for right now. It's incredibly fascinating. If I ever get well enough to go on retreat I will definitely go to your teacher. Man, I'd love that. A whole week of learning how to best prepare for death. What a relief it would be. I really, really, really want to die prepared and in a peaceful frame of mind.

Harlan,

It's so cool that you have those memories and that they've helped you in your journey in this life. I often find myself wondering about some of my deeply ingrained habits and issues and where they may have originated, if not in this life. Sometimes I find this journey very interesting, even though it's taking so long to get to know my mind.

I love the way both of you talk about your teachers and I'm looking forward to finding mine, or being found by mine, however that's going to play out.
  • questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Brigid wrote:
    Pema Chodron tells about Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche reminding his students that everything, even our great moments of insight or our dark moments of despair, are really "no big deal".

THIS is exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks so much for your insight, Brigid. It's funny when you ask for help, help appears as if by magic from an unexpected direction.

Smiles to you, Brigid, and to all of you.

Peace,
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Right back atcha, Quest! So lovely to see and hear you again. I'm sending you supportive thoughts in your search for the right job. Good luck!!
  • edited February 2007
    Hi. Thought I'd give an update.

After about 2 weeks of getting ill, we took Lucky to the emergency room on 2/3/07. It was decided that we would discontinue the medications, and probably put him down the following Monday. That day...I posted this thread...looking for feedback.

In that time...'Lucky' has had a complete turnaround...looks and acts completely normal. Could be the Interferon (a powerful cancer drug) and Prednisone...but I really think that prayer contributed. I pray over that syringe of clear, waterlike medicine every morning...and blow on it.

Thank you, guys, for your help. And thanks, 'Lucky', for giving me an entry into prayer.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Great! Lucky is aptly named. I'll be sure to put him/her in our prayer book as well.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Yaaaayyyy! I'm so happy for you, Harlan!!
  • edited April 2007
    Thank you for your support. Update:

4/17/07 we decided to put Lucky to sleep. After a month of vigour, he started to decline. He fought the good fight.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    May Lucky reborn in the human realm with the opportunity to practice the Dharma!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for letting us know, Harlan, and my heart goes out to you for your loss. You can find comfort in knowing you did everything you could do for Lucky and provided him with a warm and loving home. You did right by him and as Palzang said, may he be reborn in the human realm with the opportunity to hear and practice the Dharma.