Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Striving for attainments or just surviving?

nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

As I listen to various online Dharma talks, a recurring theme is to eliminate striving and craving. I presume this means things like advancing your career to become the highest paid corporate flunky on the block. However, I've reached a juncture where I'm constantly stuggling to pay bills and keep my financial head above water. Does this mean I shouldn't try to get a degree or certifications within my field ("attainments") to get a better income? I need some income to support my disabled fiancee and myself, and extra money would go a long way toward paying bills, repairing the house and setting aside some money for retirement.

A degree is out of reach at the moment, but I could try some self-study programs and then take the appropriate tests. I've explored some of these materials and find them sometimes interesting, sometimes dull and sometimes contradictory. I'm wary of forcing myself to do something unpleasant for a long period of time.

Some may suggest living more simply, and reducing expenses slightly is probably achievable, but moving into cheaper quarters is out of the question. I'm "trapped" by a reduced mortgage , a significant other and six animals that need space. However, the house is in poor repair (caused by a lack of money for maintenance) and needs a lot of exterior, landscaping, plumbing and electrical work.

So should I try to better my circumstances or be content where I am?

Comments

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    edited February 2016

You should at least aim for comfortable life.
    Buddha said "To be happy one must need not be extreme rich not too poor. Not over feed nor malnourished is a way. To lead a happy Life it should be balanced."

WalkerShoshin
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

In my opinion, The Middle Way is an appropriate guide here. There's nothing wrong with desire, when it's healthy. Desire to earn enough to make a comfortable life for your family is not unskilful.

rohitShoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Your predicament reminds me of this....

nakazcid
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    edited February 2016

@Shoshin Yep, I've fallen into the American Dream/Trap. House, mortgage, mowing the lawn and all that. The only thing I really like about owning a house is being able to blast my music anytime I like. Otherwise, it's a drag. The problem is moving into an apartment would actually be more expensive, plus I'd need to pony up a few thousand to fix the house up to sell. Crazy, isn't it?

Have you thought about taking in a boarder ? This will give you some extra cash....

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

I took a boarder in once. It didn't end well. Besides, we've sacrificed the spare room to the gods of eBay. eBay does bring in a little money, but not as much as it used to. We may need to refocus our efforts.

eBay's a good start....
    However sometime it pays to just sit down and do a 'budget' scroll down clip on the 'budget work sheet' ....Many people say "I don't need to do a budget ...I don't have any money!" well this is the best time to sit down and do one, it helps you to see where the $$$ are going each day/week/month and what possible changes one could make to ones spending habits ie, could be done better, also a cashflow is another important tool to use...

You could grow your own veges, (if you are not already doing so), and if you have a fair size garden grow extra veges, and set up a street stall to sell them...Every little bit helps...

BTW ....The links is Kiwi, but a budget is a budget no matter where one lives....

• @nakazcid said:

Both.

The question is how.

Look after yourself. Will dedicate some practice metta points your way <3

nakazcid
  • @nakazcid said:

Unless you ordain to become a monk and being supported by the lay community there is no option but to be able to support oneself and those we feel a responsibility towards.

To have much learning, to be skillful in handicraft,[8] well-trained in discipline,[9] and to be of good speech[10] — this is the greatest blessing.

To support mother and father, to cherish wife and children, and to be engaged in peaceful occupation — this is the greatest blessing.

To be generous in giving, to be righteous in conduct,[11] to help one's relatives, and to be blameless in action — this is the greatest blessing.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/khp/khp.5.nara.html

DavidShoshinlobster