Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Robot monks - The next holiday craze?

karastikarasti BreathingMinnesota Moderator

Chinese Temple has a robot monk. He's super cute. I'd buy one if I could (and had the money) which just kind of seems wrong.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/28/world/asia/china-robot-monk-temple.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

With so many robots already doing so much of the work, you kind of wonder how more robots would affect what we currently call "being alive."

Oh wait. Never mind. There's already a preview in the TV series called "The Walking Dead."

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I think about that a lot, actually. If we free ourselves from the daily grind of having to work to stay alive, does that allow us more time to focus on spiritual/mind matters? it seems like it could, but it depends on the person. I like the connection to all those things. I love to chop wood and garden and and consider all of what really goes into keeping a single person not just alive, but thriving and how far removed we are from it most of the time. Sometimes it'd be nice to have a Google car to go pick up my kids. I feel like a taxi driver some weeks, I spend so much time driving them around (we live out of town). But then I would miss those bonding moments, we talk a lot in the car and I'd miss that. Plus, for me anyhow, the more down time I have, the less I get done. When I am busy, I have an easier time because I have no choice but to schedule. Idle time isn't so good for me. I actually get less exercise and less meditation done.

I wouldn't really want a robot. They kind of creep me out. I think this one is kind of cute though. And I see there point that it could be a good way to introduce Buddhism to a world that is so entrenched in its devices. Whether it's a road we want to go down, I don't know. I do know my exposure to Buddhism would not have happened without a computer though.