Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are the best exercises to prevent hip and back pain associated with sitting meditation?

IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
edited October 2016 in General Banter

Just can't bring myself to sit in a chair, either.....

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

You might just need to change position.....

Perhaps Seiza (kneeling position)

• Yoga.
    Salutation to the Sun done three times before each session will help. Yoga nidra. I some times do a seated prostration to stretch the spine and back muscles. Also the pose of a child.

I know this is obvious :3 but you might be sitting incorrectly. Are you slouching or stressing the back with cycling or other intense exercise?

This from my website:

Q: What are some cushion sitting useful tips?
    A: Keep the back straight as if suspended from a string on the back of the head, pulling one up. Move the head head back, so it is more above the torso. Loosen the jaw so the mouth is lightly open. Move the chin slightly down. Remove the poker up your ass. Be attentive, not morbidly rigid.

Scroll down for the Soto Zen tips which are from @How
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2014/11/06

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

What @lobster said. Yoga. Not even kidding or exaggerating when I say that yoga resolved every single ache and pain I had from my neck to my feet. Resolved my platar fascitis, hip problems, years long lower back problems, recovery from knee surgery, headaches, pms, you name it.

Also, check into your posture and how much you spend time in various positions during the day. Meditation only hurts me when A. I'm not doing yoga regularly and B. I spend too much time sitting in cozy furniture. I now spend the majority of my time (when I am sitting) on my cushion instead of furniture. I play games with my kids on the floor. I write on the floor. Makes all the difference in the world. Our bodies are designed to support themselves, not to be support by furniture. The more various things are meant to support us, the more they enable our weaknesses and decrease our muscle tone and strength. Your back doesn't need support (for most people) from ergonomic chairs anc furniture. Your back needs support from your pelvis and legs. Strengthen and loosen them, and sitting doesn't hurt. Thus, yoga.

lobsterPer4umer
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Have you tried a meditation stool?

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2016

I sit and sleep on the floor. However situations are different.

I keep returning to basics and adjusting. For example changed my breathing very subtly recently. However I digress ...

I continually notice that people come into a seated posture and when leaving have clearly stiffened, experienced dukkha/pain, tightening. Pah!

Prostrations is a way to formalise the relaxed tension before and after a sit, just as walking meditation can ensure we do not indulge in 'it hurts, therefore I am doing good' ... Que? Must have missed the dharma talk about overcoming dukkha, not inducing it.

The body is the vehicle of the sit, breath is the diagnosis of the body/mind state.

This is the Disney version ... of pre meditation body Sun saluting. Do it it casually/badly/easily until it becomes simpler ...

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@IronRabbit said:
    Just can't bring myself to sit in a chair, either.....

Then just sit in/on a chair without your self ....Problem solved :winky: