Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

To everyone on the newbuddhist froum:

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited August 2005 in Sanghas
Sometimes my posts may offend people, or say the wrong thing from what I truely intend, or are not entirely clear. I apologize for any of these things as well as any mistakes in spelling, grammar, and information in them. I am only human and I have views, attachments, and faults like everyone else. None of my posts are meant to say that they are the only "right views" on any of these subjects. I do not speak for all Buddhists or all traditions of Buddhism. My posts are just my ideas on things from my perspective and practice. I hope that nobody sees my postings as attacks or insults. I am sincerely trying to help wisdom arise in all of you as well as myself. The path is a long and hard one. I began with dependances on drugs/alcohol, smoking, and various criminal activities. I am no saint. It has taken a lot of time, energy, and patience to end up where I am now. I do not use any drugs, I do not drink, I do not break any laws knowingly, and I have quit smoking. Like all human beings I am a work in progress. I hope you will forgive me for anything I may have done to cause any of you harm. I just want my posts to help benefit this site as well as it's members lives. I know that all of yours do the same for me.

Sincerely,

Jason

P.S. You are always free to private message me if there are any questions, thoughts, or problems with my posts.

Comments

• edited June 2005
    bowy.gif
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Jason, I think that post should be the motto for this entire site, as I think it pretty much covers it for all of us. If any of us were perfect, why, we wouldn't even need to be here! ;)
  • edited June 2005
    Jason your posts are always well thought out and insightful. Spelling? If we knew what word then what did we miss? I hope to have the opportunity to seek with you for as long as possible. I see your dharma shining brightly, even through this electronic medium

bow8ja.gif
  • edited June 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    Sometimes my posts may offend people, or say the wrong thing from what I truely intend, or are not entirely clear. I apologize for any of these things as well as any mistakes in spelling, grammar, and information in them. I am only human and I have views, attachments, and faults like everyone else. None of my posts are meant to say that they are the only "right views" on any of these subjects. I do not speak for all Buddhists or all traditions of Buddhism. My posts are just my ideas on things from my perspective and practice. I hope that nobody sees my postings as attacks or insults. I am sincerely trying to help wisdom arise in all of you as well as myself. The path is a long and hard one. I began with dependances on drugs/alcohol, smoking, and various criminal activities. I am no saint. It has taken a lot of time, energy, and patience to end up where I am now. I do not use any drugs, I do not drink, I do not break any laws knowingly, and I have quit smoking. Like all human beings I am a work in progress. I hope you will forgive me for anything I may have done to cause any of you harm. I just want my posts to help benefit this site as well as it's members lives. I know that all of yours do the same for me.

Sincerely,

Jason

P.S. You are always free to private message me if there are any questions, thoughts, or problems with my posts.

Jason,

I have no problem with any of your posts; I find them well thought out and I appreciate that. I am also a recovering alcoholic and drug addict. I have also done some jail time as a result of my past drug and alcohol abuse. Like you, I am clean and sober and I also quit smoking. I like myself much better as a clean and sober person.

Adiana :):)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Thank you all. And yes, jail is not a good place to find yourself. I was lucky enough though to only spend the night. I think it was 3-4 years ago? Anyway, it did it's job. It helped me to find more skillful ways to spend my time.
  • edited June 2005
    ... - one of the best learning experiences in my life.

I won't bore you with the details, but the way I responded to such a stressful experience (I have no record) was an eye-opener to observe happening to one's own mind and body. Dharma lessons can be found in the most unexpected experiences in life.

Ben.

btw, I been struggling with the drugs thing for over 30 years, but that's another story...
    :D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Elohim, you're a cool dude.... what a friend you are.... so much better to have an honest sincere and upfront companion, than someone who coats their words in well-meant deceit.
    Hugs.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I don't see anything wrong with your posts. Buddha Bless you. :bowdown:
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Me neither. I spend a lot of time worrying that things i say offend people, or that people take them the wrong way. that is normal.
    and as for spelling...nlame it on poor typing skills... I do..
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    See? even that was wrong.
  • edited June 2005
    Elohim, I see nothing wrong with your posts. You speak words around me lol I enjoy reading your thoughts and opinion. :)
    edited June 2005
    I must thank you briefly here for teaching me something. I did not notice it before, I would tell myself that I was being open-minded about all the posts I read, but when it came to yours I got...not angry, but some mild form of dukkha. I think I saw them as trying to be intentional vague so that you would sound wise, and intelligent, and far along on the path. You know, I don't even understand the points of many of your posts so how could I even know if that was true? My own ego just assumed it to be the case. None of my replies are meant to prove you wrong, I just haven't been seeing things from your perspective. I think it is the same as what I said to omni about being feeling threatened and defending your opinions. Sometimes it is good to see the same faults in yourself as you do in others. To be honest, every once in a while I forget that I do not know everything! Hahaha. Maybe you can explain things a little more in the future so that I can understand what they mean. I would hate to miss learning something of value just because I was too stupid to see it clearly. I would have posted this in the meat or not to meat thread, but it seems we have taken that one way off topic! Maybe we should begin a new one?
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Wow...I wish you could talk to my older brother...he's on drugs. I never know what to say to him. :( Maybe one day he'll get better.
    I hope that I can learn a lot from you, Elohim.
    edited June 2005
    It's hard to say anything. When I was on drugs I wouldn't listen to many people. In one ear and out the other. I had to decide to change because I wanted something better for myself. I'm sure though, with your support and love, he may see that there are better things in this world. It always helps to share how his actions are hurting you, and asking in a nice way to please stop. Don't yell, don't be mean, don't say that drugs are bad, just say how he is hurting you and that you care about him. Thoses things can penetrate the grip of addictions better than harsh words or lectures on how drugs are bad. One day all those words will sink in and grow until he is able to change on his own. You just have to plant the seeds. I wish both of you well.
    edited June 2005
    Set an example of how to be but never be judgemental. That's what I try to do for people off the path. My best wishes to you and yours.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Thank you. :) Guess I just needed a bit of encouragement...
    edited June 2005
    :bigclap: :bowdown:
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Set an example of how to be but never be judgemental. That's what I try to do for people off the path. My best wishes to you and yours.
    My whole life at the moment is taken up with trying not to be judgemental. :banghead:
    edited June 2005
    Might be easier if you quit hitting your head. LOL

NO :banghead:
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I wish I could meet you Jason. I never quite know how to take you.
    edited June 2005
    Well if you have MSN messenger I have a headset and microphone if anyone ever wants to talk. My MSN name is comicallyinsane@hotmail.com

Gassho
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Brian is gonna help me set upo messenger. I am at work at the moment, and on a government PC, so that is not allowed. I will do it at home. I feel like the antithesis of computer geek. D'oh.
    edited June 2005
    LOL
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Emmak,

One of my teachers used to ask, "If I wanted to be judgmental/depressed/hyper/whatever as you do it, what would I have to do?" It made us examine the process of our apparent emotions in order to describe or act them for him.

I have to remind myself that, in Buddhist psychology, emotions arise at the interface between body and mind. I have found that judgment often arises in me from uncomfortable body reactions which set up mind reactions. Calming the body has led me away from the pain that I was causing myself and others by making unwarranted judgments.

It is also impressed on me that the first step in the practice of Metta is to look at ourselves with the eyes of a loving parent. My own critical mind turned outwards because I avoided the fact that it was constantly turning inwards!
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Very good. That helped Simon. I think my biggest issue is in realising that what I beleivie in is not what everyone else believes in. I do not try to convert or preach to people by any means, but I need to change my attitude and me truly open minded and see their opinion as I would my own.
  • edited July 2005
    Jason, why would we judge you harshly? The purpose of this site is to have peaceful discussions about buddhism. The fact is, we all have views that conflict with everyone else's. I guess what I'm trying to say is, the purpose of these forums is to share our different views to help each other along the path. If someone takes offense to your posts, that's their problem. As for your past, we've all had our share of painful or troubleing experiences. That is what has led us to buddhism in the first place, no?
  • edited July 2005
    Hi. My name is Jenna, and I am computer-retarded. This is the first time I've ever used one of these boardy-messagy type things, but having recently almost mastered the email process, I am becoming bolder. I am sincerely interested in having folks to talk with about my heartily burdgeoning interest in Buddhism, but I am not sure where I should start on this boardy thing. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
    edited July 2005
    Welcome. It is a message board. Nuff said. The best thing to do is just start at the 101 thread and start reading. If you have a comment or a question just post it. :)
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Jenna welcome to the boardy messagy thingo. It's great. You will love it. And you will gradually become un-retarded.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Welcome, Jenna,

I only started posting on boards a few years ago and I must warn you that it become addictive!

This is a wonderful place to start. On many boards, people can get very unpleasant with each other (let me know when you want links to Anti-Liberal, Anti-NeoCon, Anti-Catholic, Anti-everyone boards: they are really depressing LOL)
  • edited July 2005
    Hi Jenna!

Welcome to the site. Simon is right, posting on boards can become addictive! LOL!
    I think you will like it here; people are pleasant and there is no "flaming" here unlike certain other sites! LOL! People do disagree here but are always respectful of another's opinion. You can get answers to any questions you may have here. I look forward to getting to know you.

Adiana
  • edited July 2005
    Hi Adiana! Thank you so much for writing to me and also for making me feel so welcome. Ihave to ask you: what is this "flaming?" I have a feeling it's when someone writes something nasty to you, but I'm not sure. At any rate, it seems like it is not a good thing, so I'm glad this isn't a place where that happens! I look forward to getting to know you, too!

Jenna
  • edited July 2005
    Hi there everyone! I have a question: when I post up something using the q'reply button, if someone posts up a reply to my post after, does it come up right away? I mean, will I see it right away or how does it work? Is a reply to my post instant or does the reply go to some mysterious electronic land and need to be sought there, like in emailing?

Jenna
    edited July 2005
    Everything is pretty quick and automatic.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Jenna wrote:
    Hi Adiana! Thank you so much for writing to me and also for making me feel so welcome. Ihave to ask you: what is this "flaming?" I have a feeling it's when someone writes something nasty to you, but I'm not sure. At any rate, it seems like it is not a good thing, so I'm glad this isn't a place where that happens! I look forward to getting to know you, too!

Jenna
    Yup, that's the general definition of flaming--being mean and stuff. Also known as trolling, I think.
    JUST SAY NO!
    --to flaming :D
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited July 2005
    I am in the process of writing a full tutorial complete with screen shots on how to use this site to it's fullest extent. It will probably answer a great many of your questions :)
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Brian wrote:
    I am in the process of writing a full tutorial complete with screen shots on how to use this site to it's fullest extent. It will probably answer a great many of your questions :)
    Well, you know who to call if you need any crazy random humor~! ;)
  • edited July 2005
    Everything is pretty quick and automatic.

Thanks!
  • edited July 2005
    Sabine wrote:
    Yup, that's the general definition of flaming--being mean and stuff. Also known as trolling, I think.
    JUST SAY NO!
    --to flaming :D

That's what I figured. I like to sometimes say, "Nice is free." I can add, in this context, nice is also freeing!

J
  • edited July 2005
    Brian wrote:

That's a great idea. On behalf of the technologically inept, we thank you!
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Hear hear.
  • edited July 2005
    Elohim or Jason:
    I am new to this forum but your submissions read by myself so far show that you have spent much time contemplating buddhist thought. I have read quite a few books by various authors on eastern thought, mostly buddhism. The way you summarize the teachings is very straight forward and insightful. The problem with online communication is that people may insert their own connotation to any set of words and the message changes.
    edited July 2005
    Either or. A name is only a name. As for me, I have spent a lot of time trying to understand these teachings so that I can find a way to incorporate them into my life. Whether I am getting it "right" or not I can't say.

I try my best to help people understand these often complex ideas with my explainations, as well as with quotes form the Buddha and other qualified teachers. Many people new to Buddhism haven't had the chance to study a lot of these things. I feel it is an important part of my practice to do what I can to spread the Dhamma.

I originally wrote this post because sometimes I state my opinion on subjects, which then gets taken personally. I do not like to upset people with my words. I was a little defensive, offended, worried? maybe about how I was coming across. This site was created by my friend and I did not want to reflect poorly upon him. It was a reaction I had.

In any case I am happy that you find my posts helpful. I also find many of the posts here helpful. I admire the simplicity that others have in their posts. Mine tend to be a little ... long-winded? Hahaha. I hope you find some very useful information here, as well as some good Dhamma friends. :)
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Elohim, You are one of the most inpiring Buddhists I have ever seen... Other than the Fourth Buddha himself and the Dalai Lama and some others...