Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Some Gripes about Drugs

edited January 2008 in Buddhism Today
In America, I have grown up in a culture that is becoming fiercely anti-smoking. Don't smoke. Don't drink. And marijuana is evil. I took all these precepts to heart. I don't smoke drink, or have any desire to smoke marijuana.

But that does not stop me from being troubled by the laws that prohibit drugs, namely marijuana. When I really stopped and took a long hard look at the laws prohibiting marijuana, I found them almost laughable. Essentially, you can receive a draconian sentence for the crime of owning a plant.

I have read that ciggarette smoking is actually more harmful to the body than marijuana smoking. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-05/ats-sfn051706.php

The point is, what somebody does in the privacy of their own home should not be regulated by the government providing that it does not cause danger to another citizen.

If you ban marijuana, why not ban alcohol as well? Surely, alcohol causes far more deaths each year especially from driving accidents. It would seem to make sense that if we banned alcohol, we would be saving countless lives and citizens might behave better.

Novel idea no? But the thing is, we have tried that. The prohibition era of the 1920s. It was quite dangerous to own alcohol back then having to be in constant fear of the government arresting you. Was alcohol the problem in this time? No. It was the laws that were in effect against alcohol. It was only bad to have because it was illegal.

I say that the same applies to marijuana. With it being illegal, you are putting more lives at risk. Consider this. When an item is illegal, it becomes an item on the black market. Since it is more difficult to transport and sell, prices skyrocket. More money gets involved and suddenly gangs and mobs are involved. And that almost always mean more people die.

http://www.aclu.org/drugpolicy/gen/10758pub19950106.html

Here's what the ACLU has to say about it. But please feel free to comment on my little rant here.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2007
    In America, I have grown up in a culture that is becoming fiercely anti-smoking. Don't smoke. Don't drink. And marijuana is evil. I took all these precepts to heart. I don't smoke drink, or have any desire to smoke marijuana.

But that does not stop me from being troubled by the laws that prohibit drugs, namely marijuana. When I really stopped and took a long hard look at the laws prohibiting marijuana, I found them almost laughable. Essentially, you can receive a draconian sentence for the crime of owning a plant.

I have read that ciggarette smoking is actually more harmful to the body than marijuana smoking. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-05/ats-sfn051706.php

The point is, what somebody does in the privacy of their own home should not be regulated by the government providing that it does not cause danger to another citizen.

If you ban marijuana, why not ban alcohol as well? Surely, alcohol causes far more deaths each year especially from driving accidents. It would seem to make sense that if we banned alcohol, we would be saving countless lives and citizens might behave better.

Novel idea no? But the thing is, we have tried that. The prohibition era of the 1920s. It was quite dangerous to own alcohol back then having to be in constant fear of the government arresting you. Was alcohol the problem in this time? No. It was the laws that were in effect against alcohol. It was only bad to have because it was illegal.

I say that the same applies to marijuana. With it being illegal, you are putting more lives at risk. Consider this. When an item is illegal, it becomes an item on the black market. Since it is more difficult to transport and sell, prices skyrocket. More money gets involved and suddenly gangs and mobs are involved. And that almost always mean more people die.

http://www.aclu.org/drugpolicy/gen/10758pub19950106.html

Here's what the ACLU has to say about it. But please feel free to comment on my little rant here.

What a relief it is to be able to agree with you 100%, KoB. You would have thought that we would have learned something from the disastrous results of Prohibition but it would seem not.

The alleged "war on drugs" is, of course, a "war on drug users" and, in particular, the poorest. Over here, we have heard more and more opinion, particularly from the police, that prohibition and criminalisation are not succeeding in reducing drug use. It really is time for some creative thinking in place of the discredited system we currently have.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Simon, KOB, it really has become so bad that I know many cops who don't even bother to dump the weed out when they catch someone with it. It's just impossible to enforce such laws, especially in a nation like the US which has constitutional protections to prevent people from being randomly raided by police for these very reasons. Drug laws are a complete waste of time and money. And as was mentioned, the only people who suffer under drug laws are poor people.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    I agree with you , KOB, 100%. I've followed this issue for over 20 years now and all I can do is shake my head in disgust, especially where medical marijuana is concerned. That issue is as heartbreaking as it is infuriating. I agree completely with what Simon and Bushinoki so wisely added as well. I hope with all my heart that the tide will turn and clear reasoning will be applied to this issue once and for all.
  • edited April 2007
    my 2 cents... how may people are killed each day by drunk drivers? or are seriously injured by drunken drivers? Alcohol is legal, marijuana is not. How many people are killed each day by people driving under the influence marijuana? Compare those stats and tell me which one should be legal and which one should not.
  • edited April 2007
    my 2 cents... how may people are killed each day by drunk drivers? or are seriously injured by drunken drivers? Alcohol is legal, marijuana is not. How many people are killed each day by people driving under the influence marijuana? Compare those stats and tell me which one should be legal and which one should not.

I think that all drugs should be decriminalized. I watched a video on Youtube not long ago showing how some people actually drive better under the influence of cannabis.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sLmHL7YznUI

Can't say the same thing about alcohol.
  • edited April 2007
    I wouldn't say that exactly, but I know that when I was younger and USED to smoke, I got extra paranoid about being caught by police. It didn't necessarily make me a better driver, just more fearful of doing anything wrong so I didn't get arrested.

The point I was trying to make is, alcohol does not help anyone, it hurts everyone involved in it. There are no medicinal properties at all, unless you want to debate the anti-oxidant effect of red wine but that's another topic. Medicinal marijuana can help cancer patients, glaucoma patients, it has anti-oxidants in it as well, it helps relieve nausea, relieves pain for people with rheumatoid arthritis, may be valuable in the treatment of brain injuries and diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, treatment of the tremors, muscle spasms and pain of multiple sclerosis and many more POSSIBLE uses. I am not saying it is the greatest thing in the world, but it is natural. It grows from the ground and can be controlled if it were made legal. For thousands of years people have been using it for not only medicinal purposes, but Native American Indians thought it had "spiritual" properties.

I don't agree with legalizing every "drug" because some of them are just as dangerous, if not more so, than alcohol (I've lost two old friends from, heroin alone, in the past 2 years). There still needs to be alot more research done, but we'll all have to see. I'm not condoning drug use at all here folks, don't get me wrong, but there are uses for herbs that grow out of the ground if you catch my drift, and there are alot of people that it helps on a daily basis.
    I think that all drugs should be decriminalized. I watched a video on Youtube not long ago showing how some people actually drive better under the influence of cannabis.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited April 2007
    I don't give a cat's whisker what anyone thinks about legalizing or not legalizing drugs, so long as I am not allowed to use them. I already have enough trouble finding my car when I bother taking it out anyway. How in the +#*&^% would i even be able to find the derned thing if I were high, let alone run over a fellow Buddhist with the darned contrapshun?

Just drop the subject, y'all make me so derned mad!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, thought police are urgently neeeded here!!!!!

Love,

Nirvana
  • edited April 2007
    I don't give a cat's whisker what anyone thinks about legalizing or not legalizing drugs, so long as I am not allowed to use them.

Well, the thing is. Some people do want to use those drugs. The way I see it, people should be allowed to do whatever they want to do in a just society providing they are not puting other citizens in immediate danger.
    Just drop the subject, y'all make me so derned mad!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand. This is a pertitent issue in American culture. People are literally dying everyday because the illegal status of drugs. And they are not dying from the drugs themselves. Instead, they are shooting each other for control of the illicit material. Standoffs with police. Life sentences in prison for owning plants.

Some trillions of dollars have been wasted on this 'War on Drugs.' It causes more harm than good and a new solution is desperately needed. I am of the school of thought that says the best solution for this issue is legalization of currently illicit drugs.

The conservative American culture seems hell bent on keeping people from enjoying life and reducing suffering (medical marijuana for instance). It reminds me of an old song from the movie "Duck Soup."

Rufus T. Firefly (Groucho Marx) sings about how he plans to run his new government.
    No one's aloud to smoke
    Or tell a dirty joke
    And whistling is prohibited

If chewing gum is chewed
    The chewer is pursued.
    And in the hoosegow hidden...

If any form of pleasure is exhibited
    Report to me and it will be prohibited.
    I'll put my foot down, so shall it be.
    This is the land of the free.

edited April 2007
    **Seriously** **Urgently Needed**

"More Rigid Thinking People would make a straighter world."

People who are adamantly opposed to any kind of drug experimentation and wish to punish any offender are also apt not to be willing to step outside the framework of conventional thinking about most other things.

That's a character flaw, pure and simple

Sorry, KOB, that my attempt at humour failed so badly. But then, lots of people who hold their own opinions so dear are kinda Thought Police in their own little ways.

A kind and gentle exchange of ideas does not usually involve taking apart every word someone has to say and commenting on it as though it was all a big political debate or legal proceeding. That's all so unfriendly. That's not why I spend time on NewBuddhist. I enjoy myself here and garner tidbits and have had avenues of knowledge opened to me.
    I don't give a cat's whisker what anyone thinks about legalizing or not legalizing drugs, so long as I am not allowed to use them. I already have enough trouble finding my car when I bother taking it out anyway. How in the +#*&^% would i even be able to find the derned thing if I were high, let alone run over a fellow Buddhist with the darned contrapshun?
    a serious statement???????

Censorship, like charity, should begin at home; but, unlike charity, it should end there.
    —Clare Booth Luce

• edited April 2007
    Nirvana wrote:
    **Seriously** **Urgently Needed**
    Sorry, KOB, that my attempt at humour failed so badly. But then, lots of people who hold their own opinions so dear are kinda Thought Police in their own little ways.
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

It can be difficult to detect sarcasm in you sometimes. :winkc:
    edited April 2007
    Sarcasm is a cutting remark intended to wound or make its subject an object of ridicule. It is often ironic. Although I must admit to using some irony above to poke gentle fun at the silly ramifications of overdoing drug policy, I never intended to victimize anyone. Perhaps baiting is a better word. And you took it. But I hate sarcasm, since it is so bitter. I was just poking fun at myself and pretending to be a bit demented by drug use in my youth... I never really was keen on baiting a response, though. Please forgive me for doing it anyway, young man.

But I wonder, dear Knight of Buddha, from whence does all your real dissatisfaction with things come? I understand you're just in your early teens, but, gracious, lighten up a little: If not for your own good, then just for the sake of those around you.

Wouldn't it be a nice thing to be seen as laid-back, and as a person that kinda just goes with the flow, a friend to anyone? That would be a more Buddhist way of being, it seems to me.

Believe me, I enjoy interacting with the good folks here at NewBuddhist and am interested in what you have to say. I realize that a young man of 14 has a lot more hot-topic buttons that can be pushed than a man my age, but still would hope for more balance (POISE) and some friendly gestures to people with differing ideas. Ultimately ideas come and go, but people remain more or less the same. You gotta love them.

Peace and Joy to You,

Nirvana
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2007

Yea sure.

We have the roadside tributes (three of them lining our main street) of the drivers that "drive better" under the influence of cannabis.:skeptical
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    I have to agree. Weed is a hallucinogen and impairs motor function, among other things. Impaired is impaired and driving while impaired results in great suffering. The same goes for legitimately prescribed medications for pain, anxiety and so on. The only way to drive responsibly is to drive soberly. Even if by some chance there are a few people who are better drivers while high on weed the majority of people wouldn't be and it's irresponsible and dangerous to promote driving while impaired.

There is a middle ground in all of this and all we have to do is come to an agreement of what that middle ground is and implement the necessary changes. Perhaps legalizing marijuana and continuing to educate and crack down on impaired driving...?
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Hi Brigid,

(Happy Birthday SIS!)

Who knows who is or is not a better driver while intoxicated? is this the assertion made by the person/s under the influence or the innocent/impartial/sober bystander?

cheers!
  • edited April 2007
    But I wonder, dear Knight of Buddha, from whence does all your real dissatisfaction with things come? I understand you're just in your early teens, but, gracious, lighten up a little: If not for your own good, then just for the sake of those around you.

I was posed with this question last week. I answered it here at....http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2473 I am happy to answer more questions of this nature.
    Wouldn't it be a nice thing to be seen as laid-back, and as a person that kinda just goes with the flow, a friend to anyone? That would be a more Buddhist way of being, it seems to me.

I am quite laid back in life. I just feel passionate about certain political and social issues. In particular, drugs, war, the Gay Rights movement, and religion.
    interested in what you have to say. I realize that a young man of 14 has a lot more hot-topic buttons that can be pushed than a man my age,

Oh, I am 17 years old. Not 14. But yes, I do have some hot-topic issues and they are the ones that I have been discussing most recently here.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Of course the prohibition against marijuana is totally illogical. While smoking (or eating) it may have some minor deleterious effects on the body (what doesn't?), it certainly isn't as bad as most legal drugs. Alcohol is a known neurotoxin, i.e. it kills your brain cells just as surely (though more slowly) as a bullet fired into your brain cavity. It is responsible for killing thousands of people on the highways every year and thousands more from cirrhosis and other alcohol-related diseases. Smoking (tobacco) kills millions a year, has pushed our medical systems to the breaking point, and costs society billions and billions a year. But, on the other hand, marijuana doesn't have a multibillion dollar lobby, which is, of course, the only important point.

Not that I espouse drug use of any kind. Just pointing out the ludicrousness of the system.

Palzang
    edited April 2007
    What happened today at New BUDDHIST? Everything went crazy. I could get on, then I couldn't. I couldn't access new private messages, etc. Many emails were being sent to the administrators, my pop-ups said, due to these glitches.

I'm putting this here rather than under Site Discussion under The Sangha, just because I want everyone to know that Palzang is quite alright. It's the sysstem that is/was, well, a bit loopy.

We love you, Palzang! Please, never grow up! And keep us posted, please!

Love,

Nirvy
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, it certainly did go crazy! I thought nothing was happening when I hit the submit button! HA! They got me good. No doubt it was the alcohol and tobacco conspiracy that intercepted it...

Grow up?! Whatever for!?!

Palzang
    edited April 2007
    Palzang:

Why did you delete your 142 identical posts?

You NUT!

We still love you, though.

:ot:

:usflag:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    I hate to be repetitious.

Palzang
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Palzang, 142!!! Dang, I thought six was bad.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Slight hyperbole there.

Palzang
    edited April 2007
    Palzang:

To call a slight hyperbole my gross misstatement of the number of your attempts to post what you had to say, considering the unusual and S-L-O-W connexions, shows what a real Trooper you are.

It's really nice to have people on this site who don't take themselves so derned seriously. When I grow up, if I ever do grow up, I wanna be a decent and sensitive and neat person JUST LIKE YOU, Palzang.

Sincerely,

Nirvy
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Wow, are you deluded! :tonguec:

Palzang
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited May 2007
    lol

I'd just like to throw in that I think the reason why our classification system is so messed up is because people can't see to seperate the debate over whether using intoxicants is desirable or ethical and what is the most sound governmental policy to reduce harm for all involved. If certain people could get beyond the fear of condoning what they believe to immoral, perhaps they would actually be able to formulate policy that actually helps people. That would be truly moral, imo.

To me, the biggest example of this surrounds the issue of marijuana being a gateway drug. The people who get stuck in the 'not wanting to condone' game use this one as a justification to keep it criminalized. The problem is that the main reason it is a 'gateway drug' is this very fact. This is because of at least 2 reasons that I can see. Firstly, once you cross the line of legality, you are less hesitant to cross it again. Secondly, the fact that it is illegal means that to get it, you are basically required to interact with shady characters & be exposed to other substances. If one could go through legal avenues to obtain it, then this would not be the case. So, decriminalization would largely reduce the 'gateway' effect. Additionally, if officials are truly concerned about their 'war on drugs' then they would realize that this gateway thing works both ways. In other words, this drug is a huge part of their entire business model. It is their 'foot in the door' with a good many people. Declassifying it as an illegal substance would take away a huge source of revenue & cripple their business model. I have my own suspicions that organized crime influence is a large reason it is still illegal, but I don't have a whole lot of facts to back that up.

Anyway, regardless of the morality of using this substance (obviously taking intoxicants is not the good & moral thing to do), the moral thing to do in regards to it's legality is to decriminalize it. I could give a lot of reasons, especially in relation to the buddhist path, not to do it. Personal anecdotes, logic, suttas, etc., but that is beside the point to me. And this is coming from a former hippie-type person.

Just my 3 cents

metta
    _/\_
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Operating a vehicle or tool - that could kill or maim someone else - should never be used while under the influence of anything. The ex of a friend of mine was just given a DUI for driving under the influence of "prescription" medication.

Under the influence is under the influence.

Other than that? I really don't care what people do as long as it doesn't harm themselves or others.

-bf
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2007
    Everyone,

I am not a big advocate of drugs and alcohol per se. I used both and I suffered the consequences for it. Perhaps those consequences were due to my lack of self-control and not necessarily to the substances themselves; nevertheless, I can see the inherent dangers with indulging in either. Simply put, it is one of the five precepts for a reason—the Buddha was no fool.

That being said, the way that drugs and alcohol are treated today boggles my mind. I cannot understand how people can make tobacco and alcohol "legal" and make an entire industry out it while making a plant that grows naturally "illegal" and then send people to prison for using or even possessing it. I think that this issue is less about morality than it is greed or fear.

Sincerely,

Jason
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2007
    What's to understand? Money talks, and alcohol and tobacco are BIG money. Marijuana, on the other hand, is mostly favored by those outside the money-grubbing system, so they essentially have no voice.

The whole issue of whether it's a good thing or a bad thing to use drugs or alcohol is an entirely different issue that has nothing at all to do with its legality or illegality. Obviously the best thing is not to use any of it.

Palzang
  • edited May 2007
    Palzang wrote:
    What's to understand? Money talks, and alcohol and tobacco are BIG money. Marijuana, on the other hand, is mostly favored by those outside the money-grubbing system, so they essentially have no voice.

The whole issue of whether it's a good thing or a bad thing to use drugs or alcohol is an entirely different issue that has nothing at all to do with its legality or illegality. Obviously the best thing is not to use any of it.

Palzang

You forgot the pharma industry. Rumors told me, Prozac abuse is a big business, especially in the US. Mood altering and smart drugs could soon replace the old fashioned evil hedonist tools and if you are lucky, the health insurance even pays for it! It goes like this: It is not a drug, it is a medication. Some people`s credo seems to be "Poison is the cure" and using mood altering drugs mindlessly is the same than using classic drugs.

Oh yes of course, the point I made can fall prey to endless discussions, like "when does abuse start etc", which I won`t join.

Metta
  • edited May 2007
    I might have a slightly different take on this, since a) I work at a hospital and b) I am a former drug abuser.

In my year here at the hospital, (I am the hospital chaplain) I have seen more people than I can remember die of tobacco and alcohol related illnesses. These do not include people who died as a result of drunkeness (car accident, shooting, etc), just the people who were killed directly by the substance. And let me tell you, COPD and anoxic alcohol poisoning are tough ways to go.

I have never seen anyone die due to marijuana abuse. I stopped smoking it because it just made me stupid, which is the biggest health problem, IMHO.

As to the other pharmaceuticals, part of what I do is work on the pysch ward, and I am a big fan of "better living through chemistry" for people with certain mental illnesses. The fact is, too many people self medicate, and most self medication tends to end up worse than whatever you had in the beginning. (One of the things I do on the ward is teach meditation, hoping that some might pick that up as a way of self medicating.)

But for someone who is seriously depressed, prozac or other psychotropic drugs can do wonders in the short term. For bipolar and schizophrenic patients, the drugs are often their only lifeline to a seminormal life.

If I had my way, marijuana would be legal, and anyone who smoked would have to pay a very hefty social impact fine, as well as write a note of apology to their loved one everytime they light up.

Oh, and I am an exsmoker, so I do know how hard it is to quit.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2007
    I think that pharmaceutical drugs when applied correctly and appropriately can be of great help, especially in cases of mental affliction. Unfortunately, there are many unscrupulous, greedy or just plain incompetent doctors out there who prescribe such drugs as Prozac and antibiotics as if they were candy given to a child to shut them up. This leads to dangerous consequences, like antibiotic-resistant diseases.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Great posts, and not just because I agree with them 100%.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited December 2007
    (Disclaimer: The following is meant for users, not the critics. This is not a defense of marijuana, merely a first-hand observation of how we react to its effects, so that we can better understand and avoid the dangers of addiction. Don't paint all drug and alcohol use with the same brush.)

I've always questioned the efficacy of the "just say no" ideology championed by Nancy Reagan and followed by hard-liners. You have to understand something about addiction and the mind to truly reach someone (or yourself).

Rarely have I ever heard a discussion about the psychological effects of THC (marijuana) where anyone really was able to clearly describe the unique effect this drug has on people. I'm not talking about the physical effects (on your cardiovascular system for one), but on the mind. And no, it's not like alcohol. It's very different.

Most of the common adjectives are: "like different people"; "stupid" or "wasteoid". Please try to get beyond the cliches and understand the allure and the danger of this drug.

Like other drugs, it affects people differently. However, there is a common thread among most people's reaction. You hear the canonical tale of the first time user getting paranoid or getting a case severe munchies. Some people adapt and enjoy it, others have bad reactions.

As someone with more than a passing knowledge of this particular drug, I have observed in myself and others certain common traits. The best description of the effects of pots I can come up with is this:

Both the appeal and the danger of marijuana lie in the "attachment" or "tightening" that comes with it. You really "get into" whatever you're doing. You really "enjoy" that 55th Oreo cookie. The craving aspect is legendary.

The thrill comes from an increasedly attached view of the world, so it's seems more exciting - or frightening, depending on "set and setting".

But it can't last. The "loosening: comes from not using it. Followed by the tightenting again. Ask any pot smoker what it's like to smoke again after not using for a while. They all say it's more intense. This contraction/expansion has a jarring effect on the mind.

This attachment is both the point of the drug, as well the danger. The attachment is more than TO the drug. It is the craving thet results FROM the drug as well.

As AA says, there is no pharmacological solution to a spritual problem. But the pharmacological problem may be an opportunity to see the spritual solution that's right in front of our noses.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Addiction is very difficult. I think if addicts focus on the craving aspect, they are getting to the root of the problem. You have to see the suffering of it to really want to kick it.

::

ps. Chuck, why are you shouting?
  • edited December 2007
    oh sorry trying out a big size so people will read mine :grin:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2007
    Magwang,
    Magwang wrote: »
    Addiction is very difficult. I think if addicts focus on the craving aspect, they are getting to the root of the problem. You have to see the suffering of it to really want to kick it.

I certainly agree with this statement because that is essentially what I have experienced myself in regard to my own past addictions. In fact, I wrote a short post about it here.

Jason
    edited December 2007
    That's all very fine and well, Magwang and Elohim, but there are those who never get addicted in the first place, but have used cannabis from time to time, and have made some real discoveries about themselves and the world and how things are, etc.

These experiences ought not to be provided to children, who should already have enough mind expansion going on around them every day without drugs. But for the young or older adult, some experience with a mind-enhancing agent may indeed be very beneficial.

Occasional "Re-Creational" use of cannabis in safe and unharried environs, I expect, can yield good fruit. A sort of Retreat, if done right. But perhaps such things should be paid for, just as you'd pay for any vacation. Go away to a cannabis ranch for a few days and enjoy the break. Something like that. I think legalization per se would not be good, as too many people would irresponsibly avail themselves of the drug at the wrong time in all the wrong places around the wrong sort of people, &c.

And then, also, there could be medical retreat areas for those in need of cannabis for pain management, etc.

In short, having special drug-enhanced communities or enclaves within which it's legal, but not having the drug legalized generally. I'd be for that, as I put the safety and well-being of people above their desire for variety and the like.

All the best to everybody at this very busy season.

Nirvy
  • edited December 2007
    Magwang wrote: »
    As someone with more than a passing knowledge of this particular drug, I have observed in myself and others certain common traits. The best description of the effects of pots I can come up with is this:

Both the appeal and the danger of marijuana lie in the "attachment" or "tightening" that comes with it. You really "get into" whatever you're doing. You really "enjoy" that 55th Oreo cookie. The craving aspect is legendary.

The thrill comes from an increasedly attached view of the world, so it's seems more exciting - or frightening, depending on "set and setting".

But it can't last. The "loosening: comes from not using it. Followed by the tightenting again. Ask any pot smoker what it's like to smoke again after not using for a while. They all say it's more intense. This contraction/expansion has a jarring effect on the mind.

This attachment is both the point of the drug, as well the danger. The attachment is more than TO the drug. It is the craving thet results FROM the drug as well.

As AA says, there is no pharmacological solution to a spritual problem. But the pharmacological problem may be an opportunity to see the spritual solution that's right in front of our noses.

Hi Magwang,
    Thanks for a superb 'insiders' description of the effects. I've never done any kind of drugs myself. Never smoked and I dislike the effect alcohol has on me, so I limit it to those 'just can't squirm out of a glass' social occasions. I'm veggie, so I have to cut the long-suffering circle some slack right? It's not a 'moralistic' thing, just where my life has brought me to.

Would you say that this "tightenting" effect makes you feel more alive, or 'more in the situation'? Does the subsequent "loosening" leave you feeling dull? I ask because this is the effect of my Anapanasati / thregchod style meditation (but in reverse).

I start of with a certain level of tightness and then 'relax' out into a spaciousness which is pure relief. Coming back from meditation - into daily life - the tightness feels tedious and unpleasant (dukkha I think Buddha called it).

So, it's strange to see a mirror process described. I am coming to the conclusion that there is only this process within our consciousness - tightening and loosening. It's what we do with it that makes the difference.

Regards
    Kris
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Nirvana wrote: »
    That's all very fine and well, Magwang and Elohim, but there are those who never get addicted in the first place, but have used cannabis from time to time, and have made some real discoveries about themselves and the world and how things are, etc.

These experiences ought not to be provided to children, who should already have enough mind expansion going on around them every day without drugs. But for the young or older adult, some experience with a mind-enhancing agent may indeed be very beneficial.

Occasional "Re-Creational" use of cannabis in safe and unharried environs, I expect, can yield good fruit. A sort of Retreat, if done right. But perhaps such things should be paid for, just as you'd pay for any vacation. Go away to a cannabis ranch for a few days and enjoy the break. Something like that. I think legalization per se would not be good, as too many people would irresponsibly avail themselves of the drug at the wrong time in all the wrong places around the wrong sort of people, &c.

And then, also, there could be medical retreat areas for those in need of cannabis for pain management, etc.

In short, having special drug-enhanced communities or enclaves within which it's legal, but not having the drug legalized generally. I'd be for that, as I put the safety and well-being of people above their desire for variety and the like.

All the best to everybody at this very busy season.

Nirvy
    I like this post, Nirvy.

I used to use marijuana for pain management and it was amazingly effective for my nerve pain. I don't use it anymore though, because I just can't meditate when I'm high on it and if something interferes with my meditating it's a deal breaker. Period.

But I would never prevent others who experience pain from injury or disease from using it for relief. Ever. I think that's horribly cruel. Especially because it's so amazingly effective for so many things like the terrible effects of chemo, HIV/AIDS, glaucoma and arthritis. In fact, my brother uses it for his arthritis. He's kind of a genius, makes flight simulators for a huge company in Montreal. But his arthritis is completely debilitating and he credits the marijuana with allowing him to continue working. He's 50 and he'll be able to retire within the next ten years. He's not a Buddhist, though. But a very spiritual guy nonetheless.

I think making a medicinal drug illegal is the height of ignorance and cruelty.
    edited December 2007
    As ever, moderation is needed rather than moral panic when we begin to confront the questions of addiction and drugs. They are not the same thing nor are the solutions identical.

To the subject of cannabis and pain control we should add the value of cannabinoids (THC) as an anti-emetic. I am sure that Deb would confirm that the cocktail of chemotherapy drugs used in the treatment of cancers causes violent and crippling nausea and vomiting. When discussing the management of this problem with my late wife's oncologist, he suggested that the use of herbal cannabis was far more effective than any of the available legitimate medication. "But we haven't had this conversation," he added. As I cared far more for Chris than for some temporary and recent legislation, we tried it and it worked.

When I consider the matter, I am struck by the fact that tobacco and alcohol, known to be among the most addictive substances, provide vast revenues to governments which get all moralistic about other chemicals. Could it be the classic attitude of the drug dealer towards competition? Do we really want to live under the aegis of 'drug baron' governments?

• edited December 2007
    I have not had a chance to read all of this thread and will do so as soon as I possibly can but I did want to add to Simon's post.

Yes, I can confirm Simon's comment about cemo and what it does to it's patients....

I also have it on very good authority that when you take the prescribed medications from a physician and even use them all in combination as prescribed that they do not always work to stop the violent and crippling nausea and vomiting.... Cannabis far out weights all the others even combined and it works....and I can't imagine how patients who do not have access to cannabis when going thro cemo make it....

Bless their hearts...........

I think it is safe to say from what I personally have seen over the last 8 months is that without it....
    It's very possible ppl I know would not have made it thro.......

A person told me a few months ago........his thoughts on cemo and raditation.....(I may have stated them before on another thread but I will state them again now)

They take you to the brink of death, and right before they kill you, they stop, and they say to you... ok, now, try and get better......

What Simon and I have seen and many others also.....Should never have to see and ppl should not have to live it.......But they do and isn't it sad that something so so simple can make their lives better and give them some much needed relief is illegal.

Shame on our governments for forcing so many ppl to suffer more than they should have to....and the ones who step outside the law should not have to fear being arrested......They already have enough on their plates to deal with.......just trying to make it thro another minute of another day.....

I've never been great with words but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.......

with a tear in my eye, remembering what our loved ones have had to go thro...
    I will now step off my soap box

Deb
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2007
    That was the most amazing post, Deb. It got me right in the gut and I'm not even going to TRY to hold back the tears. I wish I could make all the ignorant legislators in North America read it. There are absolutely NO authorities on this subject more important than people like you and Simon. Period.
  • edited December 2007

When I consider the matter, I am struck by the fact that tobacco and alcohol, known to be among the most addictive substances, provide vast revenues to governments which get all moralistic about other chemicals. Could it be the classic attitude of the drug dealer towards competition? Do we really want to live under the aegis of 'drug baron' governments?

Drug trafficking funds terrorism.

Nor would it solve the problem for any one government to go alone, short of a global agreement to legalise.

---
    edited December 2007
    Perplexity wrote: »

Nor would it solve the problem for any one government to go alone, short of a global agreement to legalise.

---

If our governments stopped making money through the sale of addictive substances to us, would they be able to make terror-war?
  • edited December 2007

If our governments stopped making money through the sale of addictive substances to us, would they be able to make terror-war?

According to what account does a government make money from addictive substances?

The tax on tobacco and alcohol helps to cover the cost of eventual medical treatment, not to mention countless ancillary costs to the government that would of course occur anyway. Legislation to prohibit is notoriously ineffective.

---
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2007
    'Our governments' covers a multitude of sins.... we're not just talking US and UK government, but those in China, India, South America, Russia....and any other country with a Government....
    I recently had to do research on gathering the contact names of as many SA airlines as I could, in order to invite them to a specific exhibition relating to Air/ground safety equipment, and four SA airlines have directors who are also connected to the Governments, or in Politics there. Two airlines had their licenses and activities currently suspended, because these said Directors are being araigned on money laundering and drug-smuggling charges.

Governments make money from addictive substances, but don't for one moment believe that a fair proportion of profits garnered from Alcohol or tobacco sales goes on curing or treating these apposite addicitions. In fact, I would suggest that as an awful lot of Hospitals in the UK are reluctant - and on occasions, refusing - to treat patients with alcohol or tobacco-related illnesses, unless they give them up, because costs to continue treatment are prohibitive, it's possible that funds provided by the Government, from relevant sales, are woefully inadequate.
  • edited December 2007
    "the World Bank says tobacco actually results in a global net loss of US $200bn per year. About one third of these losses are suffered in the developing world"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/the_company_file/459157.stm
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Perplexity wrote: »

---

Drug trafficking funds terrorism because it is illegal and a black market has grown around it. If it was decriminalized, then we would be capable of controlling its source. Your argument about a world agreement being the only way to impact the funding terrorism gets from drug trafficking seems to be without basis, imo. Any amount of money that is no longer filling terrorist pockets seems like a good thing to me.

_/\_
  • edited December 2007
    The drug profiteering of the American government at least in Ohio here is sickening.

"Here, we NEED the income brought in by these taxes on cigarettes. It funds the art museums and even builds our sports stadiums. But smoking is evil and unhealthy and we are going to make a government mandate barring smoking in any restaurants. Because we care about your health!"

Such hypocrisy.
  • edited December 2007
    not1not2 wrote: »
    If it was decriminalized, then we would be capable of controlling its source.

The black market to smuggle untaxed tobacco and alcohol is considerable, and guess who profits from that?

For a while there was virtually no enforcement of drug laws in Amsterdam and nobody was better pleased by that than the IRA, to use as a safe haven to distribute from, nor did it do so much for the social fabric of the Netherlands.