Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Some Gripes about Drugs

2»

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2007
    As an historian, I am struck by the hypocrisy of governments that inveigh against drug trafficking but imposed addiction on China by forcing them to buy opium in exchange for silver. It is no surprise that the Chinese blow us raspberries when we preach 'human rights' at them!

And, if we are to judge actions by their outcomes (kamma), the proximate result of the latest war in Afghanistan has been to improve the supply of heroin to the street markets.
  • edited December 2007

And, if we are to judge actions by their outcomes (kamma), the proximate result of the latest war in Afghanistan has been to improve the supply of heroin to the street markets.

I spent some time on researching this in the aftermath to 9/11/2001. The UN does some good work to keep track while nobody pays attention, the most remarkable fact about the Afghan invasion being the Taliban's wonderfully effective elimination of the opium trade prior to the subsequent liberation.

An unfortunate side effect?

Not so likely in view of the economic significance to one of the poorest countries on the Planet.

I am willing to believe that most of the junk is exported via sealed diplomatic bags but it is no use to slag off elected government just because the government pretends to control that which it never had a hope in Hell to control. For the most part the delusion is honest. They really do believe they govern.

Corruption is everywhere. When I was involved enough to know, a good part of the London drug trade originated from the back door of Chelsea Police Station. They confiscated from one bust and then sold the loot to somebody else the next day, literally.

I knew this for a fact but you'd never stop the rot because the World believes what it needs to keep up appearances, except perhaps for cynical rag hacks too shy to run the story anyway.

:wow:
  • JohnC.KimbroughJohnC.Kimbrough Explorer
    edited January 2008
    I have lived in Asia for the last 21 years but am still familair with the points that have been raised in this thread and regarding this topic.

I was born in The United States and in my youth I was a serious substance abuser and eventually served time in prison because of my use and misue of drugs and various substances.

I got completely sober when I was 31 and have been sober now for over 25 years.

I currently teach Yoga, Buddhism and meditation in a small provincial prison in Cambodia.

I think that if we can keep ourselves well balanced we can do good for ourselves, our family, our friends and loved ones, and the commuinity as a whole.

It is true that there are many laws in the U.S. that seem unfair, but at the same time why do people need and wish to use drugs?

Is it something in the confused and at times overindulgent lifestyle of the west and the U.S.?

I think more focus should be given to this issue and aspect of drug use and abuse and of course the laws should be made less harsh.....

At the same time, if we are overly attached to the culture in which we live or angry about the way it works, we will have a difficult time making progress in our individual practice of Buddhism.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2008
    Thank you, John. I agree that the whole issue of why we need drugs in the first place is usually completely ignored in all the ballyhoo. Whether it's crack cocaine, alcohol or Xanax, they're all basically ways to help us forget the pain of living. If living wasn't so painful, maybe we wouldn't need the drugs to try to forget. So how does that happen? Well, following the way that was taught by the Buddha is certainly one option. There are other ways as well. The key, I think, is letting people know that there is another option, that drugs ultimately only bring more suffering, not less.

Palzang