Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

6 Year Break & 'Snake Charmer Head'?

Hi everybody :)

I've recently started meditating again after a 6 or so year break lol! I'm nearly 29 years old and I started to get into Buddhism back when I was 19 due to an influence of a Buddhist related movie actually. Anyway I adored the moralistic and compassionate aspects of the Dharma and almost instantly became intrigued by this 'religion' - However, as much as I studied the Buddha Dharma and adhered to the teachings themselves, I was always a lousy meditator. I put this down to my things; my lifestyle at the time, maybe even my age, who knows. I did try but I never got anywhere productive spanning multiple years.

So to present day, I have decided to start meditating again as of recently and I must say, it feels like I am actually getting into a kind of groove with it. One thing I would like to ask the forum though is a sensation or 'phase' that I have encountered and was wondering if you guys have similar experiences, maybe what it could be? I understand to let it pass and embrace whatever comes my way, but sometimes this sensation can cause me to straight up open my eyes and quit the session.

Basically once I have done a body scan for 10 or so minutes, and I start to get into a groove, I can hit this 'stage' - It does seem to come about when I have started to drop the 'monkey mind' thinking and I am peacefully pretty darn focused on my breathing. It can feel like one or a mixture of two sensations. The first kind of feels like my head is dizzy, maybe in a carousel of sorts; this sometimes can be pretty intense. The other sensation is akin to a snake being charmed by one of those people playing the flute lol. My head can feel propped up on a stick, rigidly swaying ever so slightly either side to side or in circles. I have noted that this does occur when I seem to be getting 'locked in' to a pretty good rhythm of being focused on my breath, noticing the emptiness between breaths and staying with it, in and out, in and out. But this sensation can by too much at times and I open my eyes and or just quit the session.

Any insight would be greatly appreciates,
cheers!

Comments

• Hi, welcome B)

Open your eyes and continue. Is quitting for quitters and other dharma critters ...

Very simply and basically, stillness comes after we carry on through the 'mind show'. Sit with those sensations for a while. Why are they too much or too little ... :)

It is spell bound illusion, as you probably know ...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Ukjunglist I think your breathing might be off, causing you to hyperventilate and get light-headed.
    As for the head-swaying thingy, try Meditation with your eyes open, in a light-subdued room, and focus on a spot, on the floor, about a metre ahead of you.

• Thanks guys. I didn't consider hyperventilation lol. What did you mean exactly though by my breathing being 'off' Federica?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I mean I think you get so much 'in the zone' you forget to regulate your breathing by allowing it to be. Without being conscious of it, it may be the case that you hold your breath (whether in or out) and your subsequent oxygen supply is messed up....