Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dharma Sunday: Upāli Sutta 56. Upāli, the Householder

CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us!United States Veteran
edited February 2018 in Faith & Religion

This is a long sutta. I attend dharma talks sunday nights on another site. We discussed this in full. Take your time. Its interesting. I chose a random verse instead of reading to find a summary of it.

"Then Venerable Sir, that Brahmin, moved by the powerful bond of love for that young woman, purchased and brought from the market a young male monkey and said to her, ‘I have purchased and brought you, dear, this young male monkey from the market. It will be a plaything for your boy.’

When he had spoken thus, that young woman said to the Brahmin, ‘Take this young monkey, Brahmin, and go to Rattapāṇi, the son of the laundry-man, and tell him, ‘My good Rattapāṇi, I want this young monkey to be dyed the kind of colour known as “Golden Pride” to be pounded and beaten repeatedly (in the dye), and smoothed back and front.’"
https://suttacentral.net/en/mn56