Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Favorite Books

Here's a relaxing topic. Simple question; what is your favorite book?

Me personally, I am a huge fan of Ray Bradbury's "Farenheit 451". It is set in a futuristic American society where the people have democratically decided to ban books and intellectualism in their culture. Mass entertainment has dumbed down the people to such a degree that there is no need for books and conflicting ideas.
"Don't give them two sides to a political argument, give them one. On second thought, don't give them any at all."

There is hardly any resistance to this idiot fascist government save a few exiled professors and a disenfranchised fireman. Of course this future fireman's job is to burn books and the houses that store them, not to put out the fires. As the fireman, Montag, begins to question his society, he meets a rare, intellectual teenager and a retired professor. Their support leads him to actively rebel against his mindless society as he engages in a brilliant plan to frame his fellow firemen and cast doubts about their integrity.

My favorite scene in the entire book is a rather minor one, where Montag confronts his drone like wife and her friends about their lives. The confrontation is intense as he criticizes the negligible lives that they and their husbands engage in. He does the unthinkable by reading them a banned piece of literature.

1984 is also another one of my favorites, but I think Orwell differed from Bradbury in his writing. Orwell was warning of what had happened and what would happen to a society dominated by a Stalinist regime. His book was largely political in its structure. Bradbury's book is written from a much more personal aspect. There is little to no mention of the government structure in Farenheit and as is alluded to, the people of society chose to be ignorant.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2007
    This summer, I reread, for the fifth or sixth time, Hesse's The Glass Bead Game. It would be my 'desert island' book but I really can't say why. After all, it is a bit like my other, theatrical this time, favourite, Waiting for Godot. Nothing really happens; nobody comes; nobody goes; it's a masterpiece.

One of the most surprising things about it is that it is Hesse's last novel and, to my mind, his greatest. Most writers produce their best early on in their career and then go downhill. Not here: this is truly worthy of his Nobel Prize.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2007
    So it's blank?

I don't really have a favorite book. There have been books I've read and loved and books I've read and not liked so much and books I've read and stopped because I didn't like them at all. It would be hard to pick a favorite. Certainly Hesse's books would be up there. I'm reading an excellent book on the Anasazi (or "ancestral Puebloans" for the PC name) by Craig Childs right now, but picking a favorite would seem to lessen the other great books I've read somehow. Who really cares about "favorites" and who's number 1 anyway? A silly American habit...

Palzang
  • edited September 2007
    So would that be #1 on your list of least favorite American habits?
  • edited September 2007
    Slightly off topic - or on topic, I'm not sure.

Would anyone recommend a single book or perhaps a short series of books that cover as much as possible of all of the Buddha's discourses.

I suppose I'm asking about the most approachable translations as well.

stuart
    www.DanaBowl.com
  • edited September 2007
    Well, for the sayings of Buddha, you could try the "Dhammapada."

I have it but am working on Confucius before I tackle that book.
  • edited September 2007
    Yes I have the Dhamapada, but I was thinking of the short, medium length and long discourses.

stuart
    www.DanaBowl.com
  • edited September 2007
    Thank you Jason :bowdown:

stuart
    www.DanaBowl.com
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2007
    No problem.
  • edited September 2007
    This summer, I reread, for the fifth or sixth time, Hesse's The Glass Bead Game. It would be my 'desert island' book but I really can't say why. After all, it is a bit like my other, theatrical this time, favourite, Waiting for Godot. Nothing really happens; nobody comes; nobody goes; it's a masterpiece.

One of the most surprising things about it is that it is Hesse's last novel and, to my mind, his greatest. Most writers produce their best early on in their career and then go downhill. Not here: this is truly worthy of his Nobel Prize.

The Glass Bead Game is the only novel I did not read completely from Hesse, besides Gertrud. In fact, I started reading it a week ago and I am still about to finish it. To be Honest, I liked Narziss & Goldmund, Rosshalde and Steppenwolf much more, but this is not say the Glass Bead Game is bad. It is just a different kind of novel, very difficult and calm imo.

I would recommend you Narziss & Goldmund, it plays in the middle ages and the fact that Hesse writes there about a progrom against the jews made the Nazis reject the print of it. They demanded him to remove the scenes about the progrom but Hesse rejected. The book is about a relationship between two genuises, a "thinker-type" and an "artist-type".

Metta
    edited September 2007
    fofoo wrote: »
    The Glass Bead Game is the only novel I did not read completely from Hesse, besides Gertrud. In fact, I started reading it a week ago and I am still about to finish it. To be Honest, I liked Narziss & Goldmund, Rosshalde and Steppenwolf much more, but this is not say the Glass Bead Game is bad. It is just a different kind of novel, very difficult and calm imo.

I would recommend you Narziss & Goldmund, it plays in the middle ages and the fact that Hesse writes there about a progrom against the jews made the Nazis reject the print of it. They demanded him to remove the scenes about the progrom but Hesse rejected. The book is about a relationship between two genuises, a "thinker-type" and an "artist-type".

Metta

I am a great admirer of all Hesse's work. The Glass Bead Game is, indeed, very different and, dare I say it, far more 'dense' and thoughtful, the work of an 'elder'. It is its very calmness that sets it apart from most novels.
  • edited September 2007
    I also admire his work. Do you think Siddharta is actually more taoist than buddhist? I read that several times but I myself would never have come to this conclusion. Siddharta is defenetly a book i will be reading several times.

I will have to finish the glass bead game first so i can talk with you about it :) What I find interesting is that it is a total different kind of "science fiction". I mean it plays in 2200 i believe, yet it has no elements of science fiction like computer or robots, it is like the 19th century projected into the future. Well, Hesse was a romantic, not a nerd I guess ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2007
    I like "Little Women"..... ;)

(Takes one to know one.....) :D
  • edited September 2007
    A cyberfriend sent me a 'care' package last month...of sci-fi/fantasy to read. :) I'm ashamed to say that I couldn't put down 'The Dark Materials' trilogy by Pullman (targeted for teens). The first book was 'The Golden Compass'. About alternate universes, a different view of Christian cosmology, interesting characters...and an interesting plot and characters as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Pullman
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2007
    You know that the Golden Compass is coming out as a movie this fall or winter, don't you? I think it's the most expensive movie ever made, $180 million, even more than Lord of the Rings. Looks like it might be good though despite that!

Palzang
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited September 2007
    I am in the middle of the Dune series. I am also alternating with the Robot Series by Asimov.
  • edited September 2007
    I just finished Animal Farm by George Orwell and it may even trump Farenheit and 1984. The latter two were about the horrors of an already fascist regime, while Animal Farm shows the transition from Utopian revolution to Totaltarianism.

It is considered the greatest, most stinging pieces of satire ever made against Joseph Stalin, and I am inclined to agree.
    edited September 2007
    I just finished Animal Farm by George Orwell and it may even trump Farenheit and 1984. The latter two were about the horrors of an already fascist regime, while Animal Farm shows the transition from Utopian revolution to Totaltarianism.

It is considered the greatest, most stinging pieces of satire ever made against Joseph Stalin, and I am inclined to agree.

Have you gone on to read 1984, KoB? I re-read it a few months ago and was struck by the lessons it has for us in an increasingly totalitarian West devoted to perpetual war.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2007
    I admire you for re-reading it, Simon. That's something I don't think I'll ever be able to do. I was 15 when I read it in high school and it brought on panic attacks from hell. There are parts of it that are still imprinted so strongly on my mind that I can call them up and it feels like I just read them yesterday. It's crystal clear and just as dark and suffocating in my memory banks as it was when I read it freshly 25 years ago. I graduated from high school in 1984, incidentally.

KOB,

I never finished Animal Farm but Fahrenheit was, and still is, in my top 10 list. What a book! I loved it deeply.

Another book I read in high school that completely changed me and the way I saw the world was Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl (or is it Viktor?). That book completely changed who I was. It yanked me off the wrong path I was on and firmly planted me on the right one. I'll be forever in that man's debt.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2007
    I forgot to add that 'The Dark Materials' trilogy sounds like something I'd totally love, Harlan. I'll have to buy them. I haven't indulged in Sci-Fi/Fantasy in so long (it's all I ever read for a good 15 years...I know...Geek!) and I could really use a good, long story to sink my brain into. Thanks for the recommendation! I'm looking forward to a bit of a diversion. I haven't read anything non-Buddhist related in too long.
  • edited September 2007
    Yes, I read 1984 over the summer and my music teacher recommended Animal Farm. Now, I can't get enough of Orwell's books.

In Animal Farm, my favorite character only had a few lines in the whole book. It was Benjamin the cynical donkey. He seems to be the only character in the book who sees through the lies of not only the human regime, but Napoleon's as well. Although, he does nothing to combat either evil, he probably is even more intelligent than any of the Stalinist pigs.
  • edited October 2007
    harlan wrote: »
    A cyberfriend sent me a 'care' package last month...of sci-fi/fantasy to read. :) I'm ashamed to say that I couldn't put down 'The Dark Materials' trilogy by Pullman (targeted for teens). The first book was 'The Golden Compass'. About alternate universes, a different view of Christian cosmology, interesting characters...and an interesting plot and characters as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Pullman

I've just finished The Golden Compass and I'm a few chapters into The Subtle Knife. Great stuff really--but I have the same problem I have whenever I'm reading a great novel. I'm tempted to daydream about it all day. Making up my own scenes and wondering what my deamon would look like...

Need to discipline my mind :om:
  • edited January 2010
    It is really very good book.When the book was written, Bradbury got a copyright term of 28 years, renewable for another 28 years if he or his publisher wished.
  • edited February 2010
    I like the Sprawl trilogy by William Gibson. Neuromancer just blew me away. I've read it at least 4 times and still find something new in it.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I'll have to say The Hour of The Star by Clarice Lispector. I love this author, ever since I was a kid I try to write like her. Here are some quotes: :-)

The story is about a girl from Northeast Brazil [Incidentally, there is where I live :P] that is now living in Rio:
    There are thousands of girls like this girl from the Northeast to be found in the slums of Rio de Janeiro, living in bedsitters or toiling behind counters for all they are worth. They aren't even aware of the fact that they are superfulous and that nobody cares a damn about their existence. Few of them ever complain and as far as I know they never protest, for there is no one to listen.
    The author has a lot of 'philosophical' digressions:
    Were she foolish enough to ask herself 'Who am I?', she would fall flat on her face. For the question 'Who am I?' creates a need. And how does one satisfy that need? To probe oneself is to recognize that one is incomplete.
  • PaxPax
    edited February 2010
    For non-fiction - Anything by Pema Chodron (especially Practicing Peace in Times of War)

Fiction - not so much a favorite book but more favorite authors, I dearly love anything written by Fannie Flagg, Billie Letts, Rita Mae Brown, Jennifer Fulton, and Lucia St. Clair Robson.
  • edited February 2010
    I'll go ahead and plug the two recent books by Daniel Suarez, Daemon, and Freedom. Full of action, and quite techy-oriented for the nerds among us. They can be a little bloody here and there, if that's something you are trying to avoid.

They're a nice break between reading about Zen and whatnot.
  • edited February 2010
    One Hundred Years of Solitude
    The Master and Margharita
    Brothers Karamazov
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
  • edited February 2010
    A couple of friends from work got me hooked on reading some Charles Bukowski novels. Really, these books are the bee's knees.
  • edited February 2010
    Brxan wrote: »
    A couple of friends from work got me hooked on reading some Charles Bukowski novels. Really, these books are the bee's knees.
    They are pretty good but personally I feel that his poetry and short stories are much better.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Brxan wrote: »

Love your new avatar, Brxan.
  • edited February 2010
    Wow, this looked like an interesting topic. I had forgotten that I made it!

Recently, I've read The Soul of Battle and Carnage and Culture, both by Victor Davis Hanson. Both are excellent. The former details numerous military marches through history, my favorite of which to read about was the Theban march against Sparta around 360 BCE led by the Ancient abolitionist Epaminondas. Any romanticism I had about Spartan culture from the movie 300 was shattered by that book.

I'm also "enjoying" Mao: The Unknown Story. It's a fantastic read, but some parts are physically unsettling and painful for the kinds of Maoist tortures it details. So sad.
  • edited February 2010
    I'm not sure about favorite books, but my favorite authors include Neil Gaiman, Brian Jacques, TA Barron, JRR Tolkien, Cassandra Clare, Douglas Adams, and Martin Millar. It is too difficult to choose specific favorite books.
  • edited February 2010
    The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein
    Blackwater by Jeremy Scahill
  • edited February 2010
    If we're listing fiction authors, I'm also a cliched Tolkien nerd. (I've read the LoTR series at least 10 times through) I'm also a fan of Ayn Rand's challenging writings.
  • edited February 2010
    I love nonfiction, so I'd have to say-

So Others Might Live: A History of New York's Bravest--The FDNY from 1700 to the Present by Terry Golway

and...

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited February 2010
    First, I must say that I don't read too much fiction anymore, mostly Dharma books. I've always enjoyed reading, and years ago I really used to enjoy Clive Cussler's "Dirk Pitt" novels. I was pretty exited when I heard that they were making "Sahara" into a movie, but...as often is the case, a good book is hard to do justice to on the big screen. Besides, Matthew McConaughey didn't really fit the main character role too well, IMO. I digress...

Someone earlier mentioned "For Whom The Bell Tolls". Read that for a book report back then and enjoyed it as well.

Always enjoyed a good old "thick" history book too.
  • edited February 2010
    I also loved farenheit 451. it influenced me greatly as a child. I love sci-fi. Andre(a) Norton also wrote some great science fictions.
    And there was a book a friend lent me back around 1990, that for the life of me I can no longer remember the title of...it was about people living among and respecting old growth forests as a religious and spiritual experience. (fiction) I have searched the internet for hours upon hours looking for this book, to no avail. i can't remember the title, although if someone was to say it to me it would instantly leap to mind, YES!!!
    I know everyone here would love the book as much as I did.
    Perhaps it's title will come to me in a dream.....:)
  • edited February 2010
    I was also very influenced by Fahrenheit 451, and other sci-fi'ish classics, including 1984, Anthem, Asimov's Foundation series, and others.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I'm a Tolkien nerd as well. Some of my other favorite books are 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 (these two books should be required reading). I loved The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. Other favorites include The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton, We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (a largely overlook dystopian classic written in 1921, it has a huge influence on Orwell), Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, and Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. And although he wasn't a novelist I cherish the writings (and art) of William Blake.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I'll agree with Gaiman. He's great. I used to like Robert Silverberg also for science fiction, although it's called science fiction for lack of any other category to put it in. My favorite was The Book of Skulls, which I see is back in print after lo these many years.

It's hard for me to give a favorite author because I don't care to characterize them that way. Some authors I like, others I don't. That's about as far as I go with it.

I'm just finishing a book now that was very interesting. It's by an Italian author, Niccolo Ammaniti, and the book is As God Commands. It is a gritty, gut-wrenching look at the underbelly of humanity, not for the squeamish, but well written and well worth the effort of reading, imho. It's about three losers and the son of one of them, the skin-head Nazi. Think Italian Coen brothers. You can read more on Amazon if it interests you. Before that I read Let the Right One In, a book about Swedish vampires. I like to get eclectic!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    They made a movie of Let the Right One In and it's fantastic. Those Swedes sure know how to make movies.
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I just read a really great book by Edward Abbey called, The Monkey Wrench Gang. It is about hostile hippies and treehuggers set on destroying construction equipment that was tearing the natural beauty of my home desert and state Utah. It is biographically based on true people and events. BTW I love Utah and feel privileged to live here but stay out it's too crowded already ;) Or just do a switche-roosky with someone else.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    They made a movie of Let the Right One In and it's fantastic. Those Swedes sure know how to make movies.

Yeah, that's why I read the book. Personally I liked the movie better. There are some details in the book that were disturbing and didn't really add to the story.

Palzang
  • edited February 2010
    To Quiet...Utah...crowded???? You're kidding right??? Has it been that many years since I've stared up at the throng of stars in Bryce canyon??? You mean in the populated areas, right? :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Well, one man's crowded is another man's desert.

Palzang
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited February 2010
    ^^In SLC, where I live, it is much more crowded than it was growing up but I am more ok with that than I am seeing as many nature destoyers in my desert home. I must have been a Ute, Piute, or Goshute in a past life as I have felt a deep connection to this land.

Palzang, as usual, you words are accutely acurate.
  • edited August 2010
    I'd say my favorite is Animal Farm. The raw energy and story of corruption, transformation that these once humble and human-fighting pigs go through is just amazing. The last paragraph always sends chills down my spine.

I'd also like to suggest some books I'm sure many of you would love.
    Desolation Angels and The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac... musts for Buddhist seekers.
    Shambhala: Sacred Path of the Warrior
    What is Life? by Erwin Schrodinger he makes absolutely remarkable statements on the mind and science
    The Doors of Perception/ Heaven and Hell and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley all pure gold.
  • edited August 2010
    My favorite book is 'Noticias del Imperio' or News from the Empire. It's a historical fiction dealing with the ephemeral French 'intervention' in Mexico in the 1860s. The author--Fernando del Paso-- does a fantastic job of portraying the players on both sides as real human beings. The book was somewhat controversial in Mexico when it was first published, since it cast the 'bad guys' in a pretty sympathetic light. I dunno if it's ever been translated from Spanish, but it's worth looking in to. It's a great book.