Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Suttas for laypeople

Ficus_religiosaFicus_religiosa Veteran
edited May 2020 in Buddhism Basics

I have noted all the suttas I've come across, which contain the dhamma for laypeople specifically. Inpired by another thread, I thought I'd share what I know and encourage you to share what you know.

My list is thus far:

• Digha Nikaya nr. 31, Sigalovada Sutta - The classic discourse to Sigalaka covering most of the householder's vinaya
  • Anguttara Nikaya nr. 4.255, Kula Sutta - How families keep a fortune
  • Anguttara Nikaya nr. 4.61 - 62, Anana Sutta - Discourse to Anāthapiṇḍika about wealth, fame, long life and more
  • Anguttara Nikaya nr. 5.177, Vanijja Sutta - The things one should not deal in
  • Anguttara Nikaya nr. 8.26, Jivaka Sutta - Discourse to Jivaka about the virtuous lay follower
  • Anguttara Nikaya nr. 8.54, Dighajanu (Vyagghapajja) Sutta - Discourse mirroring some of Sigalovada Sutta
  • Anguttara Nikaya nr. 11.13, Mahanama Sutta - Where householders should "stay" when bhikkhus leave
  • Samyutta Nikaya nr. 42.2, Talaputa Sutta - Right view for actors
  • Samyutta Nikaya nr. 42.3, Yodhajiva Sutta - Right view for soldiers
  • Khuddaka Nikaya nr. 5, Sutta Nipata nr. 2.14, Dhammika Sutta - Householder and bhikkhu vinaya
Bunks

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2020

Simsapa Sutta Is one of my favourites. Others of course are:

The Kalama Sutta

The Acintita Sutta

and

The Sona Sutta

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited May 2020

I think you’ve covered the major ones, I would have mentioned the Sigalovada and Kalama sutta’s in particular. I also heard of some like the Vimalakirti Nidessa Sutta which are part of the Mahayana teachings and not in the Pali Canon. I also like these although they are not specific to laypeople:

Parabhava sutta ... on what causes people’s downfall
    Mangala sutta ... on what is the greatest blessing

A lot of general sutta’s apply as well to laypeople and to monks.

Bunks