Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Any musicians on the forum?

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I know next to nothing about music but I’m about to dip my toes in the water. I have an iPad with GarageBand on it and thought I’d try my hand at making a few songs. I’m watching a few tutorials on YouTube first so as not to be totally lost but it seems to be a pretty capable program which is not too difficult to use.

This looked not exactly easy but doable... not that I’ll be remaking rappers delight...

Bunks

Comments

• Lee82Lee82 Veteran

Yes I play piano and guitar. Garageband is good, I've used it to overlay instruments and sing over, one man band style! Just play around with it and have some fun.

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Fantastic... I have to say the range of options in GarageBand is quite daunting. Just looking at the range of different instruments there is a lot there to know. Just from the tutorials I’m getting the impression you can do some quite serious music with it, though I don’t know how long it might take to learn.

Bunks
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran

There are lots of instruments in the software but the real fun comes from recording your own or plugging in an instrument or mic and recording directly in to the software from those. You can then overlay with other instruments, percussion etc, or singing your own harmonies.

If you’re on iPad with no usb I guess you could use the mic to record, but can’t plug anything in as there’s no USB port. I’ve used it on my MacBook but never tried it on my iPad.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I watched some tutorials about live loops, it looked very interesting, but I don’t really have the musical background for it. I never learned an instrument while young, which I’m rather regretting now, but it’s interesting to just play around with it some.

There are a lot of loops in the software as well for more a DJ-ing approach to music, I read. Have you ever tried working with those?

I did a little experimenting, here is the result...