Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pilgrimage

In this day and age of videoconferencing and global heating the idea of pilgrimage could be past it. I had the idea of visiting some Buddhist centres in Western Europe well before the pandemic and the list ballooned to 100+ by the time everything closed down. When a friend told me May 2022 that Interrail tickets were at half price I bought one at the last minute. Between that and the 9€ German ticket I clocked up 10,000km (according to the interrail app). I was scrambling day-by-day to plan my route (as Sanghas go into summer mode) and at times could have done with some help from a friend behind a nice powerful desktop but nevertheless I managed to meet with a good few esteemed teachers.

Here are a few other pilgrims who inspired me:

A poster I found along the way:
The Jizo/Kshitigarbha Way.

La via del risveglio, a project by an Italian Sangha to visit other Buddhist temples.

Komyo, a French monk travelling on bike in USA.

KotishkaShoshin1marcitkoFosdickFleaMarketJeroen

Comments

• What a lovely idea!

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

A wonderful anecdote @kentonite, glad that you had a good time on your extended trip.

• I've been wanting to visit some semi-local centers around here. This might be the nudge I needed to do that.

• Most European countries have Buddhist Unions with lists of members. I heard that the Italian union in particular receives state-funding for members so they are more stringent about whom they let in. Therefore you won't find all Buddhist groups there but it's a good place to start.

What I did was find coordinates for all the centres I wanted to visit before starting out. It was very helpful but also difficult and you would not want to do that work on a mobile phone.

Now there is a private company https://relight.one aiming to simplify discovery but the licence looks pretty restrictive.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2022

When a pilgrimage is what one calls the journey that deliberately prioritizes a gnosis of the heart & mind over the potential discomforts of such explorations, then when is the active seeker of the way, not already on a pilgrimage in daily life?

• Or conversely, If the pilgrim doesn't prioritise a gnosis of heart and mind in the midst of constant change are they really seeking the Way?