Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The unconscious and the superconscious

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

One thing I was reading in Osho’s ‘The Path of the Mystic’ was about the way the mind is connected, in seven stages:

Cosmic conscious
Collective superconscious — the collective mind
Superconscious — our ‘higher self’, from which the whole individual mind is visible
Conscious — this is where we live
Unconscious — where the things we repress end up
Collective unconscious — where things repressed from the collective mind go
Cosmic unconscious

Apparently these stages of mind are all accessible. Osho advises first going in search of the superconscious, because it is much easier to bring the repressed urges from the unconscious to the surface once one has the superconscious’ elevated energy levels at one’s disposal. Meditation seems to be the way.

I found this really interesting, has anyone come across this kind of material from buddhist teachers?

Comments

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran

I found this book interesting , it's not quite what you are on about but interesting all the same...Check out page 23 "The five flavours of Ch'an" It explains the composition of the Mind and the execution of Ch'an...
    The Sweet Dews of Ch'an by Rev Cheng Kuan

JeroenFleaMarketDakini
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I did some reading on wikipedia, and apparently the terms superconscious and unconscious go back to the nineteenth century and a stream of thinking called ‘new thought’, with many hypnotists and occultists in it. Which is interesting, because if Osho says he found the extended part of the mind to include these elements maybe there is some truth to it.