Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Adyashanti retires

marcitkomarcitko Veteran
edited September 2023 in Sanghas

Hello everyone,

I thought y'all might be interested in the information that the US-based Zen-trained Non-dual spiritual teacher Adyashanti has announced that he is retiring from active teaching.

He shared this information in an open letter and explained more in an hour-long podcast.

The short version of it is that he is retiring because for the past 17 years he's experienced massive amounts of physical pain. A few years ago he says he found and removed the cause of the pain, after which it stopped, but he does not specify what the cause was. He says that, however, he's been left with lots of trauma as a result of the pain, for which he is taking anti-anxiety medication. He says his trauma or medication does not interfere with him seeing/being "True Nature" but that the body-mind is not in good shape, hence the retirement.

I listened to a lot of Adyashanti, especially many years ago. He was integral to my formation. I still cannot believe he is over 60 - he still has the voice and demeanour of a young man.

I might write more about my perspective on this later, but for now leave it at this.

JeroenFleaMarket

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

That surprises me, he still looks so young and healthy. But all the travelling that you do as a spiritual teacher must have its effects. For me too he was a significant point on the spiritual journey, a few years ago I really got into his books and video’s.

marcitko
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

In the podcast he says he will retire from all face-to-face teaching, including on the internet, but will still be supporting his wife Mukti who will take on the head teacher role at their sangha, and may do some writing and developing of in-depth teachings.

marcitko