Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Too much letting go redux

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

On my old topics and new perspectives jag, this one stood out as somewhat relevant, from the Coronavirus time. Here is the original topic to enjoy:

https://newbuddhist.com/discussion/26673/too-much-letting-go

It seems to me that generally when you think there’s been too much letting go, it is when you are convinced that a stronger approach is needed, a stand against some evil or injustice, and in general you are confronted with the places where you are still attached. You may be clinging to some vision of good, or to righteousness, or to justice. You are not living in trust with existence, karma, the higher plan. And in fact, the answer is more letting go…

The other thing about too much letting go is that one shouldn’t go slack. That really is too much, when you get into languor and it starts interfering with the basics of living life. It’s like Lord Flashheart says to Captain Blackadder in the old comedy series, well, old Slackbladder… that’s when you know there’s been enough letting go.

Lastly, letting go should be about ‘clinging’. If you’re not clinging, there is no need to let go.

Comments

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited May 6

Ask yourself this question.
    If you go to sleep tonight and never wake up again, would it be OK?
    If the answer is NO, you haven't let go enough!

When this was said, the Blessed One addressed the monks. "Whoever develops mindfulness of death, thinking, 'O, that I might live for a day & night... for a day... for the interval that it takes to eat a meal... for the interval that it takes to swallow having chewed up four morsels of food, that I might attend to the Blessed One's instructions. I would have accomplished a great deal' — they are said to dwell heedlessly. They develop mindfulness of death slowly for the sake of ending the effluents.

"But whoever develops mindfulness of death, thinking, 'O, that I might live for the interval that it takes to swallow having chewed up one morsel of food... for the interval that it takes to breathe out after breathing in, or to breathe in after breathing out, that I might attend to the Blessed One's instructions. I would have accomplished a great deal' — they are said to dwell heedfully. They develop mindfulness of death acutely for the sake of ending the effluents.

"Therefore you should train yourselves: 'We will dwell heedfully. We will develop mindfulness of death acutely for the sake of ending the effluents.' That is how you should train yourselves."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an06/an06.019.than.html

howJeroenShoshin1
  • paulysotoopaulysotoo usa Veteran

i train my mind needs and want, no need, let go. need, keep it suites me. i try to make my mind simple. it goes across the board of brain inventory like spring cleaning. in zen you void brain dukkha. other buddhist method is good too.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@pegembara said:
    Ask yourself this question.
    If you go to sleep tonight and never wake up again, would it be OK?
    If the answer is NO, you haven't let go enough!

This is about letting go of all the things you consider important, until only those things are left which you realise are just play, just dream stuff. In the end that means the spiritual search as well.

One should be aware that the mind is continually trying to convince you of the importance of things, especially when one is engaged in goal-based activities such as games, or watching that which is a cause for concern, such as the news.

All these are great pointers that there is more letting go that remains to be done.