Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Newbie alert.

SabineSabine Veteran
edited February 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Well, I'm not a newbie to forums, just one to Buddhism. (Look at my profile :D )
Anyway, hi everyone! :bigclap: My name's Sara, and I just joined the site. I'm fifteen years old, and I live in Georgia (United States). Also, I'm a rising junior at Davidson Fine Arts Magnet School.
Not TOO much to say. I hope that I'll learn all that I can from all of you, and maybe you'll learn something from little old me. I shall be lurking around the forums, good day. :p

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Hello Sara, it is nice to meet you. Welcome to the forum.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Welcome to our community. The crowd is very diverse here, so you'll fit right in :D
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Very cool, I look forward to talking with you all. :lol:
  • edited June 2005
    Hi Sabine!
    I had to say hello to a fellow newbie AND Arts alumni. I graduated from Douglas Anderson School of the Arts in Jacksonville, Fl! What is your art?
  • edited June 2005
    Hello Sabine and Suenos096!

I want to say hi and welcome to the site. People here are very nice and supportive. You will find the answers to any questions you may have here. I know I have. Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you both! Take care!

Adiana :):):lol::lol:
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    suenos096 wrote:
    Hi Sabine!
    I had to say hello to a fellow newbie AND Arts alumni. I graduated from Douglas Anderson School of the Arts in Jacksonville, Fl! What is your art?
    1) Piano and ballet. And very cool, I'm actually checking out some colleges in Florida :D
    2) Thanks, Adiana :bigclap:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Oooooh, what a happy thread of posts.....! Let me add my 1.7544521's woth of centimes...
    Welcome to all newbies and the more the merrier... This is a bit like policemen.... the older I get the younger they seem!
    Loads of young enthusiastic members....

I'll worry when we get a post that reads;
    "drrrrrrrrn blblblblbl, ga goo deh deh deh *dribble*
    (That will either be our new 6-month old latest member, or Elohim's been at the Jack Daniels again......)

:lol: :bigclap: :)
    Bienvenue!!
  • edited June 2005
    Hi! I'm new too. Welcome aboard. Everyone seems very nice.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Hello and welcome.
  • edited June 2005
    Please feel free to ask any questions - especially the ones you're not sure about!

We're all here to help.

Lovely to meet you.

Dave
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Hello Sabine and Suenos096,

Good to meet you.
  • edited June 2005
    Hello everyone! :)
  • edited June 2005
    Sabine wrote:
    1) Piano and ballet. And very cool, I'm actually checking out some colleges in Florida :D
    2) Thanks, Adiana :bigclap:

I went to UNF in Jacksonville as a Jazz major but only for a little less than a semester. It's a nice school, but very small.

I currently go to UF. It's great. I thought it would feel big, but it doesn't. For the courses for my major the classes are actually quite reasonable, sometimes even downright small. I love UF because there are soooo many options, the people are great, and there is so much diversity around. And I've never got anything but a positive response when I've told my fellow students I'm Buddhist. Plus, Gainesville is a great city. Jacksonville felt way too spread out for me. If you ever want a tour, message me.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Sabine what level ballet are you at? And has it started to ruin your body yet?
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Does ballet ruin the body?
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Ooooh yeah. My arthritis is basically from so many years of ballet. Very bad for the joints as your hips are turned out all the time. Mine are RS from it. My feet also pretty bad.
    I have brilliant posture however.....
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Emma, please don't slap my wrist, but some of the people who have come to see me with regard to lower back pain and poor posture have been ballet dancers (I did part of my training in London, and we had to provide treatment dossiers for our tutors to assess... with the patients' consent of course....) I had four girls from the Royal Saddler's Wells Ballet come to see me for treatment... the biggest problem I noted was that although their musculature was as near perfect as you could get, and true to say, their upper backs were what everyone would aspire to, their lumbar areas were often distorted and painful. As I saw it, ballet dancers have a habit of sticking their 'derrières' out.... this causes an excess lordosis and can compress the discs eventually eroding the cartilage which brings the vertebrae rubbing together, and causing persistent pain. If none of this applies to you, then I apologise for sticking my neck out.

For those who are interested, these are the three damaging postural conditions of the spine:

Kyphotic, which typically refers to the outward curve of the thoracic spine (at the level of the ribs)
    Lordotic, which refers to the inward curve of the lumbar spine (just above the buttocks)
    Scoliotic, which is a sideways curvature of the spine and which is always abnormal

A person with KyphoLordoScolliosis would either be called extremely unfortunate, or Quasimodo for short....!
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I understand that, but in my training we were constantly told,
    "Chests up, bottoms in, stomachs in!!"
    This was normally shreiked at very innapropriate times :) I am not by any means saying you are wrong though. Even now, my butt is always in and my chest up and my belly in.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I once saw Dame Margot's bare feet! Having watched her dance with Nureyev in Le Corsair, where they appeared to defy gravity, the sight of those feet was a real revelation. When I read the story of Milarepa and Gampopa and the callused bum, I recall those feet. They taught me the wisdom of the swan: look serene but paddle like crazy.
    edited June 2005
    Emmak, Bottoms in is good... it's bums out that causes the problem...!! ;)

I remeber the feet too, Simon....Poor girls, what a sight!! It's almost akin to foot binding.... ! It was Maria Taglioni who first went on points, in the 18th century I believe... ever since then....*sigh*!!
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    It is a beautiful thing,ballet. But so awfully unnatural.
    Gymnastics and calisthenics is bums out...
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Oh, my, this thread has progressed quite a bit ^_^;;;
    a) DharmaKitten, thanks for the offer! I'll check UF next time I go visit my bro--he practices law in Tampa, so when we pay a visit, we just drive all around Florida.
    b) Emmak--I'm in Royal Academy of Dance Syllabus, Grade 7. Also, we do European character. :D Pointe STILL hurts like anything, though. *sigh* You'd think a year would get me used to it, but meh.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I did RAD too. I finished a few years ago. I still take an adult class, but have to take it easy. Pointe always hurts, my love. I don't think anyone truly gets ased to it...
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    emmak wrote:
    I did RAD too. I finished a few years ago. I still take an adult class, but have to take it easy. Pointe always hurts, my love. I don't think anyone truly gets ased to it...
    :bawling:
    Ah, well. No pain, no gain.
  • edited February 2006
    hello and welcome

im new to and have found this to be a comforting place
    at your age haveing a head start with this box and information with
    sites like this.. geeesh ! you are gona fly my dea!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Cecchetti is better.
  • queristquerist Explorer
    edited February 2006
    Sabine wrote:
    Very cool, I look forward to talking with you all. :lol:
    Hello Sabine,

I am new here as well, but I was very pleasantly surprised to find someone who lives down here in the South with me (so to speak). I am in western South Carolina!

-glyn