Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Going to Paris!

SabineSabine Veteran
edited June 2005 in General Banter
I'm going to Paris this summer through a Duke University program. I'll get to study literature/philosophy for two and a half weeks. :lol: I'm so happy! :lol:
*ahem*
Does anyone have any advice for the young traveler? ^_^
Also, what are you doing this summer?

Comments

• edited June 2005
    Hi Sabine!

I wish you a wonderful time as well as a safe journey. I hope you will keep the rest of us posted on your experience as it unfolds. Anyway, I am just relaxing with my daughter before she goes back to school in late August. I am a widow with an eight-year-old daughter. I also have two grown children that have their own lives. They are great kids and I enjoy watching them grow up to be the fine, compassionate young people that they are. My youngest child is a great kid also. She really amazes me with her compassion and grace that she shows to everyone. As you have no doubt surmised, I am very proud of my children. LOL! I am also a full time student and I will have my Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Management this fall. Anyway, be safe and have fun, too!

Adiana :):):lol::lol:
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Ha - the only foreign country I've ever been to is Canada..... And being that I'm a detroiter, I'm already about 85% canadian anyways, so it's nothing new. :p

So, my only advice is don't lie to the customs officers :lol:

This summer I'm hosting a 4th of July party for my other site (perhaps we can do that for this community one day too), and then a big LAN party on the weekend of July 29th, also at my house. Even though it's only two things, it seems like it's consuming my whole summer. Lotsa planning to do :D
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    A friend of mine is in Paris now this week. He works for Treasure Island in Las Vegas and they sent him there for some training class. I'll tell you what he says Sabine. :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I lived in Paris for a few years in the '80s. It is an extraordinary city. Henry James (I think it was) said that good Americans go to Paris when they die!

Parisians, however, prove the old story: Thus have I heard: when the gods had finished creating France, they realised that it was a paradise on earth. So that the people of other parts less favoured should not become jealous, the gods filled it with the French.

There can be few more wonderful sights than Notre Dame by moonlight!
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    @ Comic: Coolies, thanks! :bigclap:
    @ Simon: Yup, that was James ^_^ And I can't wait to see Paris by night, we might even go on a boat tour--if classtime allows :p
  • edited June 2005
    I always thought it would be cool to goto Paris.
    edited June 2005
    @ Sabine:

The Bateaux mouches on the Seine are great fun but nothing beats walking in Paris. When I lived there, I used to drive to some spot, find a parking place (!!!!!), mark it on my map and then wander aimlessly. My favourite walk of all took in the Marais, the Temple and the Ile Saint-Louis.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    I lived in Paris for a few years in the '80s. It is an extraordinary city. Henry James (I think it was) said that good Americans go to Paris when they die!

Parisians, however, prove the old story: Thus have I heard: when the gods had finished creating France, they realised that it was a paradise on earth. So that the people of other parts less favoured should not become jealous, the gods filled it with the French.

There can be few more wonderful sights than Notre Dame by moonlight!

I swear I have not yet come across a frenchman who has anything good to say about the Parisians.... except that they're only found there....!! :lol:
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    federica wrote:
    I swear I have not yet come across a frenchman who has anything good to say about the Parisians.... except that they're only found there....!! :lol:
    :D
    Just out of curiosity, how widespread is Buddhism in France? I'd like to know, in case I decide to stay there for a semester when I go to college ^_^
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Sabine, I honestly have absolutely no idea.... there are several Buddhist sanghas, one of the most famous being Thich Nhat Hanh's Plum Village in the South of France - which, bTW, I am determined to visit one day....
    But as for general interest it's almost impossible to say. Religion and social life are kept at arm's length from one another. it's not a subject that's discussed a great deal. I would almost say it's taboo... in many places, Buddhism is viewed as a 'cult' and not understood at all....
    Yesterday evening, I was going out and wearing a strappy dress... I'd just gone to have a quick word with my neighbour, and they had friends round (whom I'd met before, several times, so we were quite well acquainted) and they noticed my tatoo on my upper arm. One of them asked if it was an eidelweiss, and I explained that no, it's a stylised star representing a female Buddha named Tara. They then said, 'why, are you Buddhist?' and Babette (my friendly neighbour) answered, 'yes, she's buddhist,' at which point they put their hands together and started supposedly 'praying' in mock chinese voices. It wasn't meant maliciously, they were just having a bit of fun, and knowing that, I didn't actually say anything, I just smiled.... Babette looked at me as if to say 'don't worry, they can't help it, what do you expect? They're men!!' but I just said my goodbyes and had to leave.

Now, I know for a fact that they will bring up the subject again.... they'll be curious and want to learn more, but that's because i didn't get defensive or retaliate.... However, I don't think the french are 'peculiar' in this... I find that if I keep my silence, instead of re-acting, it tends to draw people out and make them genuinely inquisitive.... But I digress....
    when i tell people in general that I'm Buddhist, they usually reply, "aaaah, really?' so I've never experienced hostility or nervousness, disdain or any negative reaction, actually....
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Arent stereotypes grand?
    edited June 2005
    @ Sabine,

Buddhism in France? Oh yes! A number of places. You may like to visit the Paris Buddhist Centre:
    25 rue Condorcet 75009 Paris - 01 44 53 07 31

Their wbsite (in English or French) is:
    http://www.centrebouddhisteparis.org/Le_Centre/le_centre.html
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Whoa! Thanks, Simon! :cheer: