Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation and the brain

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited April 2008 in Buddhism Basics
Whilst many of us can testify to benefits from some years of meditation practice, this is the sort of evidence which is called "anecdotal" by the sceptics.

There is, however, an interesting study using Magnetic Resonance Imaging. This is a link to a peer-reviewed article:
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1361002

(With thanks to BBC2)

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Hi Simon,
    I think that meditation is a process which re-wires the brain. The meditative stages are the feelings as one crosses a given threshold.

Scientists can measure the effect of meditation on the brain, but they are unable to measure the 'force' that directs the meditation.

It's always the same. We can quantify the effect of life. We can note its absence but we can't measure 'it'.

namaste
    kris
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2008
    The reasons for meditating, and the effects, are not primarily for Medical purposes. Why therefore, if for <*insert number*> centuries, people all over the world have found countless personal benefits for Meditating, do scientists need tangible, solid concrete proof that it is 'effective'?

I understand that scientific claims need scientific examination, and scientific proof, but meditation is not a scientific exercise.
    So what purpose, all the scrutiny? Or are scientists missing the point?

or am I? :hrm:
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2008
    Meditation has medical benefits which can be studies, psychological benefits which can be graphed and mostly a feeling of well being (available to scientists too). The more people meditating for whatever reason, the better. Creates calm and thoughtful beings who might end up Buddhists.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2008
    federica wrote: »
    The reasons for meditating, and the effects, are not primarily for Medical purposes. Why therefore, if for <*insert number*> centuries, people all over the world have found countless personal benefits for Meditating, do scientists need tangible, solid concrete proof that it is 'effective'?

I understand that scientific claims need scientific examination, and scientific proof, but meditation is not a scientific exercise.
    So what purpose, all the scrutiny? Or are scientists missing the point?

or am I? :hrm:

The point, I think, Fede, is that whether we like it or not we live in a sceptical and reductionist culture. If we believe that meditation has beneficial effects and that "Mind comes before all things", it is useful if we can find common ground with the reductionists.

You and I both hold the Discourse to the Kalamas dear and it is another element of the verification enjoined on us.

In addition, of course, it leaves the researchers with even more questions, which can't be a bad thing.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2008
    PS:

Hello Lobster!!

Welcome to the forum!

Nice to meet you!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2008
    Interesting study, Simon. I don't see any problem with doing studies like this. Science is the common religion of our times. People will believe something they see that is "scientific" which they might otherwise dismiss as "superstitious" or whatever. Of course, the scientists do largely miss the point. But perhaps as a side benefit of their studies they will also become interested in doing meditation!

Palzang
  • edited April 2008
    Thanks for the scientific apologetics.