Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Past Lives

This question is inspired by our friend Knitwich.

Do you ever feel that you've lived in a previous life and, if so, who were you?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2008
    I feel such a close affinity with all things Japanese that I suspect I may have been there before... but really, this is speculation. I can't think of any other reason for my fascination with it all, though.....
    I'd love to find out somehow... wouldn't that be great?
  • edited April 2008
    My main reason for suspecting I had a past life is that I have always felt a close affinity with the First World War. I think I grew up in London. My father was a teacher and I remember him coming home with our first gramaphone. I joined the army and was posted a few miles behind the front line. Military Police or guarding an airfield or something like that. I think I was some kind of officer like a lieutentant or captain because I had a small number of men under my command. I remember lying on my back in the grass and watching planes dogfight overhead. I also remember seeing tanks being carried on trains en route to the front. Sometimes the night sky would be lit up by artillery and you wonder how any living thing could survive under that. It was only in the last stages of the war that I moved to the trenches. This all feels like stuff remembered rather than imagined, like a very vivid dream you never forget. Could all be my imagination but would like to know for sure.
  • edited April 2008
    Going back into past lives is something I did over a long period during my Pagan days. In the beginning I had a more experienced companion to guide me but after a while I could do it alone.

So far I have seen for myself that I was a Gytha in the Viking age, that was my reference to a paid killer.

I had a short life in the middle ages as a sickly boy who enjoyed playing chess with an older man, possibly his uncle.

During the Napoleonic wars I lived in Devon and have met one of the people who was with me in that life which was quite a completely weird experience for both of us as we both remembered the same things simultaneously.

On a visit to York Minster with my ex we were coming out of the Minster as the midday bell was sounding and we both saw the same thing - we were being led out to be burned to death. He was a priest or monk and I was a Jewess. I could even feel the very tight bandage on my head which hurt. A crowd was baying for our blood and it was very very frightening. The vision only lasted a few minutes but we were both pretty shaken by it.

A dear friend and very experienced witch has seen that she was with me in Alexandria in the great Temple there before the city was drowned. I have only glimpsed that through her eyes.

Thus have I seen.
  • edited April 2008
    If one is considering Buddhism as a path, there doesn't have to be much thinking about it...as it is a 'required' belief. Gotta take some things on faith.

But yes. I've a past life memory. Always had it. As a child, walking around with this kind of thing, it doesn't seem strange at all...it doesn't occur to children that everybody doesn't have this kind of thing as part of their understanding. Identifying with a 'who' isn't important. For me, it's a 'karmic imprint' from a past existance...a memory to be resolved in this life under certain circumstances.
  • edited April 2008
    harlan wrote: »
    If one is considering Buddhism as a path, there doesn't have to be much thinking about it...as it is a 'required' belief. Gotta take some things on faith.
    Actually, I don't think there are any 'required' beliefs in Buddhism. HHDL when asked what he would do if science disproved reincarnation replied, "I would immediately stop believing in it". Having said that, I have had an inkling of 2 past lives: the first as an early astronomer/astrologer in post-Moorish Spain and the second as a slave-girl in Japan.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2008
    harlan wrote: »
    If one is considering Buddhism as a path, there doesn't have to be much thinking about it...as it is a 'required' belief.....
    digger wrote: »
    Actually, I don't think there are any 'required' beliefs in Buddhism. HHDL when asked what he would do if science disproved reincarnation replied, "I would immediately stop believing in it"......

Tchah, beat me to it Digger....;)

It is an accepted premise in Buddhism that one does not deny or denounce the Buddha's teachings ourtright... But it is absolutely acceptable to say "I don't know about this one, I'm keeping an open mind...."

Refutation is a no-no....
    Open-minded questioning is a yes-yes..... :D
  • edited April 2008
    Windwalker wrote: »
    Do you ever feel that you've lived in a previous life and, if so, who were you?

Hi Windwalker,
    I have had one very powerful past life recall and it was not anything like I would have expected it to be. I have been unable to verify it, as I do not know the name of the person in question, when she lived and died or the exact location of where she lived.

The biggest surprise was not that I was a woman (I'm a man now) but the kind of person she was. Whereas I tend to be very relaxed, a little lazy and prone to sensuality, she was quite the opposite; focussed, disciplined and exacting - the sort of person who would not rate someone like me, although she was a kind and tolerant person and an advanced contemplative.

This came as a massive shock. Until I experienced this recall I had always kept an open mind on the subject but had assumed that any past incarnations (regardless of race or gender) would be in some way 'me'. This was not the case - this lady was 100% a person in her own right!

The memory came to me in a split-second whilst on a train and wide awake. The oddest thing is I don't have the feeling that she's dead. My spiritual practice is a project with much work already done by her and in some ways she is present and I'm sure very impatient with 'this' rebirth.

The experience served to illustrate the extent of what we abandon through death. Of course we get a new body, name etc. but it goes much much deeper than that. Each life is like a self-contained pearl on an invisible string.

You are merely one custodian of a process and the invisible thread is no more your property than it is any other past or future incarnation's.

That was, for me, the fruit of this experience. I don't feel the need to know of more past lives - that event taught me what I needed. I'm not sure I could deal with knowing how many more people I'm indebted to.

The ball is in my court now.

Namaste
    Kris
  • edited April 2008
    srivijaya wrote: »
    The oddest thing is I don't have the feeling that she's dead.

This could be the case. I was on one of my paranormal investigations a few months ago where there is a very well known ghost that has been seen several times in the street outside the hotel we were investigating. Our psychic medium, however, was told by his spirit guide that the woman seen in these apparitions is alive and well and living in Manchester. If he's correct then it raises all kinds of questions about the consciousness or soul (whatever you want to call it), life and death. Traditionally ghosts of the living (dopplegangers) are considered to be bad omens.
  • edited April 2008
    I don't have any memory at all of previous lives. Though I did accidentally convince a couple of people that I was a Chinese monk in my past life.

They showed me a picture of a Chan master. I said that I knew him, meaning I'd downloaded transcripts of his talks off the internet. They thought I meant that I actually knew him! Once I realised the misunderstanding, I tried to correct it, but I'm not sure if it worked. They gave me the picture to frame and put on my altar, and told me that if I kept meditating I'd remember more.

I guess that it's a common belief in some Buddhist circles that many attained masters are now being re-born as Westerners. Which may be true, but I'm not one of them!
  • edited April 2008
    I'm pretty convinced that our experience at York Minster was not either of us re-living a moment from our own past lives but picking up on two other people's experience and feeling it as if we were there.

I've had that feeling before. Windwalker have you come across this in your investigations before where people pick up strong vibrations from previous events that have not necessarily happened to them personally?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2008
    One time an astrologer friend of mine was learning how to do past life regressions and needed a guinea pig, so I volunteered. She hypnotized me, then took me back through time. I hit on several lives, most of which were pretty boring (a lawyer in Dodge City, Kansas, in the 19th century!), but one was very vivid and completely unexpected. My first vision of it was of running through a swamp in Central Europe somewhere. I was a woman (!), dressed in peasant blouse and skirt, barefoot, wild, kinky black hair flying, and I was running from soldiers of the Holy Roman Empire who were trying to catch me and burn me as a witch (well, I was, sort of). But I was actually laughing and enjoying myself because I knew they could never catch me. I knew this swamp like the back of my hand, my house was located in it where they'd never find it, and they were deathly afraid to even venture into it. Plus the village priest was my friend, and he always tipped me off when they were coming.

Actually I was more of an herbalist, making potions for people and such. I didn't practice magic per se, and I certainly wasn't in league with the devil. It was more like being a shamaness. But it was a pretty wild experience. I don't know if it was real or not, but it was very vivid and very unexpected. And fun!

I also felt an extremely strong attraction to Japan when I was there, Fede. Could be...

Palzang
  • edited May 2008
    jacx wrote: »
    I guess that it's a common belief in some Buddhist circles that many attained masters are now being re-born as Westerners.

Maybe they're doing it to avoid the Chinese!
  • edited May 2008
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    have you come across this in your investigations before where people pick up strong vibrations from previous events that have not necessarily happened to them personally?

Yes, this has happened a couple of times. One of my friends had a flashback to an attack on a young woman that happened in the room we were in hundreds of years previously. He was watching it happen in front of him but felt powerless to intervene. Another friend felt a rope round her neck as if she was being hanged. Why these things happen to certain people and whethere there is any connection is as yet uncertain.
  • edited May 2008
    Palzang wrote: »
    I was a woman (!), dressed in peasant blouse and skirt, barefoot, wild, kinky black hair flying, and I was running from soldiers of the Holy Roman Empire who were trying to catch me and burn me as a witch (well, I was, sort of). But I was actually laughing and enjoying myself because I knew they could never catch me. I knew this swamp like the back of my hand, my house was located in it where they'd never find it, and they were deathly afraid to even venture into it. Plus the village priest was my friend, and he always tipped me off when they were coming.
    Actually I was more of an herbalist, making potions for people and such. I didn't practice magic per se, and I certainly wasn't in league with the devil. It was more like being a shamaness. But it was a pretty wild experience. I don't know if it was real or not, but it was very vivid and very unexpected. And fun!

Palzang

Oi - that was one of mine! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • edited May 2008
    Yes, this has happened a couple of times. One of my friends had a flashback to an attack on a young woman that happened in the room we were in hundreds of years previously. He was watching it happen in front of him but felt powerless to intervene. Another friend felt a rope round her neck as if she was being hanged. Why these things happen to certain people and whethere there is any connection is as yet uncertain.

Thanks for that Windwalker. Obviously my ex and I discussed it endlessly and we came to the conclusion that we must have just barged into someone else's experience - maybe we were there at just the right date and time and slipped into their lives.

I have felt that before with another friend where we were walking along a sea-front and came across a cannon - we both immediately felt how it was to be below decks on a man o'war working the cannons during a sea battle - it was ghastly and we both had to get out of that place very quickly. I can only assume that the object itself had got impregnated with the negative energy around it over years and was emanating it out again.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Oi - that was one of mine!

Careful, or I'll conjure up a curse for you! Or a love potion. Your choice.

Palzang
  • edited May 2008
    OK Pali - spells at 20 paces at dawn it is! :lol::lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Your dawn or mine?

Palzang
  • edited May 2008
    Maybe they're doing it to avoid the Chinese!

Yes.
  • edited May 2008
    Palzang wrote: »
    Your dawn or mine?

Palzang

Better idea - you do a blessing for me at YOUR dawn and I'll do one for you at mine.
  • edited May 2008
    Hi, All:
    I've always had a little difficulty believing in reincarnation in a literal/straightforward sense.
    Given that there's no real self, then I never really got what there was to be reincarnated. Recently, however, I was reading a book called "A Brief History of Everything," that had a couple of interesting facts that seemed relevent:

1. All of us have about 200 billion atoms of Shakespeare's atoms. This is simply because we have so many atoms to start off with. We also have a comparable number of the Buddha's atoms, and also Hitler's atoms, atoms of ants and trees etc. So I guess I believe that we are recycled, but not necessarily that we somehow pop into another person's body after we die.

2. Every nine years or so, our whole body, even our brain cells, are completely replaced. So all "we" are really just a trace pattern that persists over time as our atoms are churning and replacing. In a sense, we are reincarnated every moment as ourselves, albeit a little different than the moment before.

Be well,
    Ben
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Better idea - you do a blessing for me at YOUR dawn and I'll do one for you at mine.

Thy dawn, O Master of the world, thy dawn;
    The hour the lilies open on the lawn,
    The hour the grey wings pass beyond the mountains,
    The hour of silence, when we hear the fountains,
    The hour that dreams are brighter and winds colder,
    The hour that young love wakes on a white shoulder,

O Master of the world, the Persian Dawn.
    That hour, O Master, shall be bright for thee:
    Thy merchants chase the morning down the sea,
    The braves who fight thy war unsheathe the sabre,
    The slaves who work thy mines are lashed to labour,
    For thee the waggons of the world are drawn—
    The ebony of night, the red of dawn!

James Elroy Flecker[/quote]

I have recited this morning prayer for nigh-on 50 years, at dawn, in four continents. It has become an anchor in gratefulness and a benevolent mind.
  • edited May 2008
    That is beautiful Simon.

The morning prayer I have used for years and years ....... and do forgive me if I have quoted this before (mind is starting to go, along with everything else)

I greet my Mother the Earth
    And my Father the Sky
    I rejoice that I am part of all this
    I am the wind that blows
    The stream that flows
    The earth that turns
    And the fire that burns
    The spirit is within me and I rejoice
    Blessed be all creation forevermore.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    waking wrote: »
    Hi, All:
    I've always had a little difficulty believing in reincarnation in a literal/straightforward sense.
    Given that there's no real self, then I never really got what there was to be reincarnated. Recently, however, I was reading a book called "A Brief History of Everything," that had a couple of interesting facts that seemed relevent:

1. All of us have about 200 billion atoms of Shakespeare's atoms. This is simply because we have so many atoms to start off with. We also have a comparable number of the Buddha's atoms, and also Hitler's atoms, atoms of ants and trees etc. So I guess I believe that we are recycled, but not necessarily that we somehow pop into another person's body after we die.

2. Every nine years or so, our whole body, even our brain cells, are completely replaced. So all "we" are really just a trace pattern that persists over time as our atoms are churning and replacing. In a sense, we are reincarnated every moment as ourselves, albeit a little different than the moment before.

Be well,
    Ben

So what is it that is reborn? I would say that it is our habitual tendency to take rebirth, nothing more. Change the habitual tendency, and you will gain freedom from the wheel of death and rebirth.

I would say that we are not our bodies. Therefore it doesn't really matter whose atoms make up this mortal coil. Our body is simply an aggregate that is impermanent and ever changing. It is not separate from the universe.

Who is it that is reborn? Who is it that is asking?

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    I love, love, LOVE this thread!! I find it absolutely fascinating to read about people's past life memories, whether they're real or not. They're fascinating to me because they could be real, you know? I mean, who's to say?

So I'll add my bit, too. The first time I ever felt connected to something in this sort of way was when I first learned of the Vietnam war when I was around 11 or 12. I felt very strongly that I was an American soldier who died there and I had all these powerful emotions about the whole thing. I felt a lot of anger and fear and frustration, like my hands were tied (not literally). There was also this weird thing about the sound of a helicopter, the 'whoomp whoomp whoomp' of the blades, that overwhelmed me with the feeling of relief. To this day when I hear a helicopter I immediately think "Rescue!!". There's also something about a bamboo cage, like I was a prisoner, and the thing that drove me the most crazy was not being able to move out of the sunlight when it got really, really hot, like I was roasting in an oven.

My only other past life thing was a dream I had when I was in my 20's. It wasn't like a normal dream filled with symbols and the like but felt like a vivid memory. It was so mundane but very emotional at the same time. I was a short, slightly stout, wealthy Russian man with short, dark hair and a thin, curled mustache which I used some kind of product on, like wax or oil or something, to keep the ends curled up. I was walking with my mistress whom I loved very deeply and I remember looking down at my shoes and they were very expensive, good quality shoes, and I was wearing a camel hair coat. My mistress was thin and plain, dowdy even and I think she was a maid or something because I associated bed linens with her, but not in a sexual way. Anyway, we're walking along and coming up to my house which was this beautiful beige stone, long mansion with a large, beautifully landscaped front lawn with bushes and lights, and my wife was standing in the doorway with an accusatory attitude to her stance. I felt no threat from her though because I knew she wouldn't or couldn't leave me and I wasn't going to divorce her, maybe I couldn't. But I felt heartbroken because I couldn't marry my mistress and I think this was going to be our last walk together, like we had to end it. My mistress was very sad, but resigned to the situation. I remember feeling grief stricken, just heartbroken that I couldn't be with her because I loved her so deeply. Then I woke up and thought, for the only time in my life, that I had just had a past life dream. I felt completely sure of it and it didn't seem strange to me at all. It was just like having a vivid memory of an event that happened in my life. Looking back it seems a bit weird but at the time it felt perfectly natural to have had that dream.

The Russian man in my dream wasn't me at all. It was like I was in another person's body, experiencing and feeling what that person was going through. He had his own history and frame of reference, none of which I was privy to during the dream. For example, although I felt everything he was feeling during that walk I didn't know what year it was or where in Russia I was or what our names were. I didn't have any memories of my childhood there and no knowledge of what was happening politically or socially. I just had those few moments walking with the woman I loved, noticing little details like my expensive shoes, and that my wife was a tall, blond, formidable woman. It all felt so completely natural, too. I wasn't surprise at all that I was having this experience in my dream. His experience.

I really don't know if it was all just my imagination because, as we all know, our minds can play pretty elaborate tricks on us. And I don't know if I felt it was a past life memory because I'm suggestible to the idea of rebirth. All I know is that it was absolutely fascinating yet so purely mundane at the same time.

So that's my story. Keep 'em coming, people! This is better entertainment than watching a movie or television any day!! :D
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited May 2008
    I, for one, definitely know that this is my First Incarnation as a Human Being. It's all just too new to me and I have so much trouble with almost any transition. Whether to take a left or a right is sometimes quite the conundrum to me.

However, I have had many experiences that kind of tie me to a suspicion that I was formerly a grazing animal, such as a deer or a goat. When out on a lawn, I am endlessly picking up blades of grass or weed or flower to eat. All my life I've had some kind of association as a grazer and have often gotten lots of stems or leaves with serrated edges caught irritatingly in my throat.

Sorry, all, for telling y'all more than you probably wanted to know, but not having many lifetimes of human experience to draw on, it needs be that I must come up short sometimes.

It's a wonderful life, really, being human, and I hope someday to get the gist of the Art of Living. In the meantime, I just put the best face on all of this, remembering the words of Sri Ramakrishna when he said that as Wood is to Fire (having the best qualities to bring out the nature of fire), so the Human Being is to God or Nirvana — having a nature fundamentally divine, partaking of both wisdom and love. That is to say that the Image (of Buddha, of God) is Wisdom or Knowledge and the Likeness (of God, of Buddha) is Love — is an overflowing, flowering Heart.

The deepest treasure of being human is to have a discerning mind and an inquiring Heart wherein Love of Goodness and Beauty and Truth is enthroned. For me, one lifetime as a human being is sufficient.

I do not intend to make light of anyone else's thoughts or experiences. I am sure that experience is a Great River, and some drops of water in It have their origin in the highest mountain peaks, have gone down the Ganges, been bottled in golden vessels and released and re-released in countless other rivers and streams. But I come from a solitary brook that emanates from some hidden stream that its owners have tried to hide from their neighbours. This is my one chance at Liberation and my prayer is that I lose not sight of the eternal as I go along delighting in the ephemeral.

May Your Road Be As Broad As You Like and As Deep Behind You As You Dare! Bright Blessings!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Interesting stories. I like both of your experiences, Brigid. The helicopter blades equating to rescue especially rings true. Have you ever seen Apocalypse Now? The sound of the helicopter blades is distorted electronically and becomes something really haunting, really hard to get out of your mind after the movie. And the one about the Russian is sad. But the details fit.

Has anyone ever had a dream about the future? I've had several in my life, and they always turned out to be true. Mostly they were about places that I would visit later on and recognize. I always recognized the places immediately because of the dreams. One, though, was different. It happened not long after I got ordained. It felt very much like it was a dream about my next life, and I saw the house I would grow up in very clearly. It was sort of a Federal style house, and it was located near water. It seemed like it might be in the Northwest because of the water, but a couple of years ago I was in Tulsa accompanying one of our monks who went there for cancer treatment. One day I rented a car and went exploring, and I found the house completely by accident. It was near water, just off the Arkansas River which flows through Tulsa. I also dreamt that there was some sort of park or some sort of structure by the river, and that was there as well, a kind of stepped platform where you could watch the ducks or whatever. Again, I recognized it right away. So who knows, maybe in my next life I'll be an Okie!

Palzang
  • edited May 2008
    I've dreamed of the future but not recognised it at the time. I have suddently done something, or been in a situation and gone "Oh wow, this is my dream"
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Wow!! That's pretty cool! That's never happened to me that I recognize. It's amazing to think about though, like time is flexible and not necessarily linear. Intriguing....
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Kalu Rinpoche said that when one has mastered the Kalachakra, moving through time and space are no more difficult than moving from room to room.

Palzang
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited May 2008
    As for the original question, I feel that I've been a soldier in several past lifetimes. I feel like the first few of those I made mistakes, and since then, I've been trying to get it right in this profession. I feel a need to serve the people of my nation, and ultimately the world, and to do so, this lifetime I have to be a good soldier to do it. That doesn't mean following orders all the time, but doing my duty as a soldier to make life better for my nation at least, the rest of the world if possible.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Did you ever see the movie Patton or read his biography? Patton believed strongly in past lives. He said he was a soldier in many lives, and there's the scene in the movie where he's driving through Tunisia to get to the battlefield when he tells the driver to turn the other way. They end up at an old Roman-Carthaginian battlefield, and Patton says he remembers fighting there. Patton was a very interesting man, a great general, and I don't doubt that he actually did live those lives.

Palzang
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited May 2008
    I don't either, Pally. I sometimes wonder if a lot of career soldiers are that way because they feel remorse over actions in a past lifetime or two. It's funny how the guys who talk the most about wanting to go to war and kill are the ones who swear that when their ETS date comes, they are done. Yet those who have a more philosophical disposition to the military, being all about service and protecting our nation, are the ones who make careers out of the military.
  • edited May 2008
    On a visit to York Minster with my ex we were coming out of the Minster as the midday bell was sounding and we both saw the same thing - we were being led out to be burned to death. He was a priest or monk and I was a Jewess. I could even feel the very tight bandage on my head which hurt. A crowd was baying for our blood and it was very very frightening. The vision only lasted a few minutes but we were both pretty shaken by it.

I must have some powerful hidden karma when it comes to Christianity. On a rational level, I don't mind the religion and I find the old Church buildings quite beautiful but on a subconscious level things go wrong. It's hard to explain but I often sense great evil within Churches. On a visit to an historic one with my family when we got into the oldest part of the building I felt some strange energy and noticed then that blood started pouring out of my baby boy's mouth (some kind of abscess had burst - nothing serious apparently).
    It was like a scene from the Omen. I couldn't wait to get out.

There have been numerous incidents (all could be coincidence of course). Last Friday I was at a dinner with a society I belong to. One of the members is a priest who said grace in latin at the table. Upon my return home I got violently sick and couldn't keep the food down (yet another coincidence).

Add to this many strange, vivid and foreboding dreams and a pattern starts to emerge. All the incidents have been odd and unique but there is something deep within me that fears this religion. There must be something there. I'm not sure I want to recall it though.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Is your son's name Damien perchance? Just kidding!

Palzang
  • edited May 2008
    :( I dont have any past life experiences but my brother when he was 5 or so used to tell my mom that he used to live on a farm with his whole family and his dog. He said that his whole family was murdered. Strange thing is that when he turned 7 or so we would ask him about it and he did not know what we were talking about he forgot the whole thing. My mom read about a book about that kind of stuff and it said that kids sometimes talk about past lifes but they forget them when they get older. I may have to see one of those people that pali saw that would be fun.
  • edited May 2008
    There is a theory that we come into the world far more open to these things and with our imagination unlimited and it is only society that narrows us and beats it out of us.

As a very little girl my mother would catch me talking to an invisible friend - not unusual at all. The strange thing was when she asked me about my "friend" I would say it was a little boy who looked just like me .............. at that time I didn't know about my twin brother who was stillborn.
  • SuzSuz
    edited May 2008
    I can't remember any past lives, as many people speaking on this thread can....I wish I could! Most interesting. But apparently when I was born, the midwife told my mum as soon as I opened my eyes she knew I had been here before. Something about a look of...' Oh, here we are again!'
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Suz wrote: »
    I can't remember any past lives, as many people speaking on this thread can....I wish I could! Most interesting. But apparently when I was born, the midwife told my mum as soon as I opened my eyes she knew I had been here before. Something about a look of...' Oh, here we are again!'

As I have said before, I have no memory of any life before this one - and, as I age, I am forgetting this one too. As a professional, I am very aware of how deceptive (and, particularly, self-deceptive) memory is so that I acknowledge other people's anecdotes and still hold to my 'agnosticism'.

Personally, I prefer my personal 'myth': both Christianity and Buddhism strongly suggest to me that we are only victims if we choose to be and if we are born outwith our own decision, my life would be a victim of birth itself. As a result, this suggests to me that a choice was involved. I call this being a 'volunteer'.

Not a very Christian or Buddhist notion but, as an internal myth, it enables me to take responsibility, and I shall continue to hold it as long as it continues to fit.