Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hindrances

edited June 2008 in Buddhism Today
I am curious about what sorts of things come up for you that might be called "hindrances" in the traditional vocabulary, but are things that come up in ordinary everyday life that you are particularly working with and on. Also maybe say a bit about what kind of practice you have or how long or whatever is relevant.

Comments

• edited May 2008
    My tendency to ignore/ avoid unpleasant people and circumstances is an ongoing problem for me.

Is that the kind of thing that you meant, Island?
  • edited May 2008
    Yes, that is the sort of thing. Aversion is one of the 5 hindrances. I would have to say that I am having trouble with patience, which fits under restlessness vaguely.
  • edited May 2008
    In my experience, practice begets patience.

My hindrance is laziness.
  • edited May 2008
    Hi:
    It's an interesting question. Buddhism speaks of the five hindrances, four of which come in pairs. anxiety and laziness, desire and aversion, and (without a twin) doubt. We all have all of these at different times, but different of us are more predisposed towards particular hindrances. Personally, my biggest traps are anxiety and aversion.

Someone posted a little test to see what Buddhist personality type you are; try taking it and see where you end up:

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=3070837884601053282

Best,
    Ben
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2008
    Apparently, I'm 'confused'....

I thought I'd be more "angry" but that only came out at 5%...
    The last thing I would ever consider myself to be, with every other option going, is confused...

Hmmmm....
    Now - ? :confused:

I'm totally confused.....

:lol::lol:

I think the most challenging thing for me is to be accepting of others.... I tend to be a bit impatient with the lack of self-control I see in others... I'm talking specifically or in the main, about non-Buddhists....

I wish I could help them 'Get it'.....

What does that come under.....?

"idiot"....? :rolleyes:

:D
  • edited May 2008
    Ah but if you're confused then how could you know you're confused?:D

Ben
  • edited May 2008
    I did the test which is cheating a bit as I am not a Buddhist - most of the options in the answers didn't correspond to my reactions at all so my result is N.A.

Given the first question, no test, I'd also say that I get impatient with people - especially those who should know better. Those who have no path, belief etc I can excuse but I find myself saying "You are supposed to "get it" .... what are you at "
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Hindrances. Oh, my. I don't even know where to start. Yes, I do. I'll list my hindrances.

Impatience.

Anger.

Self righteousness.

Laziness.

Procrastination.

Self indulgence.

A very troublesome ego.

The tendency to exaggerate.

That's what I can come up with in a few seconds. I'm sure I'll think of more.

I didn't realize how helpful this exercise was going to be but putting it down in black and white is the perfect way to see what I should be working on. Thanks, Island.
  • edited May 2008
    Well, my life has been going exceptionally well in the past year, so I don't really ever give the idea of hindrances much thought.

I would say laziness is my biggest one. The Buddhist personality test seemed way off to me. The only one it got even remotely right was greed (I'm quite the proponent of Ayn Rand's notion of self-interest). It said I was generally angry and confused, but the fact is that my friends are almost completely in agreement that I am one of the least irritable people they know. Despite my paranoia about every stranger on the street being a potential mugger, I don't really feel angry about anything in life.
  • edited June 2008
    My main one is fear. It takes on many different forms, some that on the surface would seem far removed from it, but you don't have to look very deeply to see the fear lurking underneath.

(It seems I'm back.. I've been gone for so long I that can't really remember how long I've actually been away.)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2008
    21st August .....2006....!

It's so nice to see you again!! Welcome back!

You don't need to go into what kept you from our house.... Just make yourself back at home... your room is just as you left it.
    (I even washed the three odd socks I found under your bed.....!!)
  • edited June 2008
    Thank you. :) Ooooh, that's where those socks were, I've been looking for them!
  • edited June 2008
    Hello Old Friend - welcome back - I'll put the kettle on.