Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism in Australia

emmakemmak Veteran
edited December 2005 in Faith & Religion
Having read most of the threads on the site now, and having gathered that the site is predominately American I have come to the conclusion that Australians are not as involved with religion, and a lot more openminded. So many of you have come up against narrow mindedness and judgemental people who have little idea of what they are talking about.
I realised that I had no idea of the religious stance of ANY of the people I work with. So last week I started asking them what religion they are, and I was surprised. The people I spoke to were more than willing to discuss the subject with me and their opinions and experiences. I came across (mainly) non - practising christians, two devout catholics, two catholics who were lesbians and disapointed with the church, a muslim, and a hindu.
I guess what I am saying is that in Australia, people don't care what faith you have. But I don't know if we are open minded or just ignorant to the point of not caring.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Well Emma, the reason that Australians are so tolerant ansd easy-going is that most white ancestors were hardened criminals deported by the British Government to populate a wild, inhospitable and desperately hot place... so having had to put up with the worst conditons imagineable, they have in turn become so laid back they're horizontal....!
    By contrast, the Americans started off closed-minded because the Puritanical pilgrim fathers were the first on the scene. the first thing they did was to meet the indians, eat their turkeys then try to convert them...

(And if anyone for one millisecond believes I'm being serious.....!Shame on you!!) :lol::p
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Hey! Are you saying I am related to bad ass convicts??? ;)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    G'day, Emmak,

If the cap fits........... (unless you are Dutch, of course, at which point it is optional LOL)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Simon.... are you being unknowingly rude....?!? :eek: :lol:
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    And I thought I might get some intelligent responses.... No such luck....
    edited June 2005
    Emmak, people are different wherever you go, but underneath, we're all the same... just looking for happiness and freedom from suffering. The way to this is to liberate ones' self from attachment. Everyone does it in the only way they know how. There is a wealth of different theories as to why the Aussies are one way and why the Americans are another... In the long run, it doesn't matter.... don't be offended, but it's an impossible question to answer.... so we just had a bit of fun trying....! Don't take it personally....!
    (Incidentally, I know one of my ancestors really was criminally inclined.... but hey, one bad apple...!) :)
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I was only joking my love. These conversations are tricky when you cannot hear tone of voice...
    I just thought it was interesting that so many of the others have come up against problems and I have not.
    edited June 2005
    I had no intention of being rude. I apologise. Heavy-handed humour. Please forgive.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I get your humour Simon. Like i said above, it is hard when you cannot hear voice. Absolutely no offence taken... ;)
    edited June 2005
    *Phew!!* You're so right about tone of voice.... so difficult to tell sometimes.....! That's why I'm always posting with smileys and reminders that I'm just kidding.... mindfulness of ones' words is one thing, but I am the Village idiot after all....! :lol:

Simon.... How in whoever's name do you know what a dutch cap is..?!? *shocked!!* ;):)
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I did not get the Dutch cap reference. Please enlighten?
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    I notice a distinct lack of American presence in this thread :eek2: :lol:
    edited June 2005
    Hi Brian, nice timing.... :lol:

As site Moderator and creator, I think you should be the one to explain to emmak what is meant by Dutch cap.... :o;):lol:
    edited June 2005
    A Dutch Cap is the popular name for a vaginal diaphragm, because of its shape.

I would be horrified if someone of my age didn't know what one was! And even more so in my own case as I was a psycho-sexual counsellor with Forum magazine back when that was still almost respectable!

Sorry, Fed., that I use smileys so little. I keep forgetting about them.
  • edited June 2005
    Simon,

Thanks for explaining what a Dutch Cap is. Hey---I had no idea! I just always call it a diaphragm. It it truly amazing what one can learn here! LOL! ;)

Emmak,

I don't know many Australians but the ones I do know seem to be so easy-going and accepting of everything. Being Wiccan, I really like that. Frankly, I find it a refreshing change! LOL! However, the Australians I know are very articulate and compassionate and I appreciate that as well. I hope to go to Australia one day because I like learning about different countries and the people that inhabit them. I find I can learn something from someone every day and that is a good thing. :)

Adiana :lol::lol:
    edited June 2005
    :o can you hear how loud my silence is....? :lol:
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Brian wrote:
    I notice a distinct lack of American presence in this thread :eek2: :lol:
    Go away Brian :D We were doing so well....

Re: dutch cap thing. Don't I feel daft. Seriously though, I don't know many women my age who use a diaphram. That can be my excuse for not knowing. :p
  • edited December 2005
    Oh please haha... I'm an Australian and things here aren't half as accepting as they appear to me. We're a very multicultural country, but that just means there is even more interracial/religious tension... This is a very judgemental country, very closed minded, very ignorant.
    I used to be Wiccan and I remember getting a lot of grief from others because of it. Even the athiests get harrassed. We have constant riots, murders, rapes, etc based on religious backgrounds! That's here in Sydney, anyway.

Feel free to ignore me I'm just a newbie hehe.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2005
    I always had the opinion that the Australian life is one of slow, slow, and more slowness... Slack, slack, fun, fun, and more fun... Well that's from what I hear from the many SIngaporeans who flock to Aust each year... Hola neighbour, hope you guys not too angry over the death penalty, personally I think my country had performed childishly and was totally immature by publishing articles on Aussie's poor drug stance (pure propoganda).

Religion seems very scaled-down there, I mean, Australian allows gay marriages, doesn't it? So I suppose the religious groups there don't have a lot of power, thus meaning that most people there aren't so religious after all (if they do have a religion)...
  • edited December 2005
    NoodleBowl wrote:
    Oh please haha... I'm an Australian and things here aren't half as accepting as they appear to me. We're a very multicultural country, but that just means there is even more interracial/religious tension... This is a very judgemental country, very closed minded, very ignorant.
    I used to be Wiccan and I remember getting a lot of grief from others because of it. Even the athiests get harrassed. We have constant riots, murders, rapes, etc based on religious backgrounds! That's here in Sydney, anyway.

Feel free to ignore me I'm just a newbie hehe.

That may very well be because that sort of thing probably exists in all countries to a certain extent. I say probably because this is simply my opinion. Like I said in my previous post, I have never been to Australia personally but I do know a few Australians and they (meaning the Australians that I personally know) are nice people as well as being nonjudgemental. I appreciate that. I was not implying that ALL Australians are nice and nonjudgemental; how would I know that since I have never been to Australia in the first place. Again, like I said in my previous post, I hope to visit Australia someday. I was simply implying that I appreciate anyone that does not judge me as an "evil, scary person" just because I am a Wiccan. :rant: :mad: Usually, those that tend to think that way usually have no idea of what being Wiccan means in the first place. I am amply familiar with being harassed and persecuted just because of being Wiccan. :mad: :rant: It makes me appreciative of those who don't engage in such actions. :bowdown:

Adiana:type: :mullet: :usflag:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Adiana wrote:
    Simon,

Thanks for explaining what a Dutch Cap is. Hey---I had no idea! I just always call it a diaphragm. It it truly amazing what one can learn here! LOL! ;)

Emmak,

I don't know many Australians but the ones I do know seem to be so easy-going and accepting of everything. Being Wiccan, I really like that. Frankly, I find it a refreshing change! LOL! However, the Australians I know are very articulate and compassionate and I appreciate that as well. I hope to go to Australia one day because I like learning about different countries and the people that inhabit them. I find I can learn something from someone every day and that is a good thing. :)

Adiana :lol::lol:

One can always inquire for the use of a "Jimmy Hat" if their uncomfortable with the use of the given topic.

-bf