Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What does "our House" look like to you?

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited May 2010 in General Banter
I have often referred to our home here as my 'cosy armchair, slippers and mug of cocoa' place, when describing this forum to others.

And really, I mean it as a compliment.

And I have a very definite mental image of the place.

But before I put my ideas into your heads, how do YOU picture this place?
Don't forget, we have this here Lotus Lounge, and our wonderful attic..... but what about the rest of it? And in fact, what do those two specified rooms, also actually "look" like, to you?

Let's have a chat! :)

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    It's "empty", of course. Well, except for that funny looking blue and white rug in the bathroom...

Palzang
  • edited December 2008
    The Lotus Lounge is a large airy room with quite formal furniture in it. There is an altar in one corner and a large Buddha statue in another. One wall is sliding glass doors that lead out onto a verandah which overlooks a tree-clad valley with a river at the bottom. Sometimes the mist leaves just the tops of the trees poking up through. Sometimes when it is hot we sit out on the cane furniture on the verandah.

The Attic is more cosy - there are bean bags all over the wooden floor and cupboards down one wall where we can all keep our books, pretty things and special stuff. There is a small kitchen off the attic and everyone has their own mug. The altar up here is more chaotic, everyone putting what they want on it for that particular day .... and the different coloured candles are my fault, I'm afraid ... although the packing case of incense is Féde's! :lol:
  • edited December 2008
    Yes, I can see that KW.....the attic is where you serve tea and cake isn't it? I brought in my big over stuffed chair I love so much.....nothing like curling up with a big mug of tea, eating a bit of cake and visiting with good friends on a cold winter day.

In the warmer weather I prefer the varanda... Still drinking my mug of tea but out closer to nature and it's beauty. Some times chatting with friends and other times alone with the peace and the quiet...
  • edited December 2008
    Yes, that is the way I see it. A place to be with ... or not ... as you feel. Sometimes to sit and listen, sometimes to debate, but always with the tea and cake.......

Here - help yourself, I made some Christmas pudding to a very old recipe and despite having to substitute some of the ingredients I couldn't get in France ... turned out pretty good - grab a bowl, there is custard and cream and I can flambé them in calvados ... nothing but the best for my NB friends ... get stuck in.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    I can get up and down from a chair with ease! Drinking a favorite lemon-lime soda and just being. We don't need a fire place as we warm each other with our presence.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    I see big, thick, exposed beams in the attic and the most beautiful diffused light coming in through the windows. May I use a wee corner to hang some flowers from the garden to dry? (Next summer?) Just a few, and as soon as they're dry I promise to add them to the ongoing moss and dried flower wreath I've been making for months. It's a welcome wreath, not a funeral wreath. I just like circles.

I love the the bean bags, Knitwitch. They're the perfect chair for me. I can sit in one for a really long time with no pain. You can always position a bean bag in a way that takes the pressure off the sore parts of one's back. Good meditation chair. Love them!

I also love the cupboards. I keep a few favourite books in there as well as my Tibetan singing bowl and Japanese incense. I can't burn the incense very often because it makes me a bit asthmatic but it's there for anyone else to use if they like.

In the mornings I like the veranda best, even when it's cold. I love a misty morning and will brave any temperature to witness one. I'll just bring out one of the big old blankets we keep in the linen trunk and a big mug of hot coffee to keep me warm. I love the way the trees smell first thing in the morning.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Change my drink to a White Chocolate Latte. I forgot we don't need to count calories here. LOL!
  • edited December 2008
    aaaa that is a NO Jer. No counting calories here.....This is a happy place...

Don't get up, I'll get your White Chocolate Latte for you.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    No calories??!!?? Oh...wow...!! I'm going to eat a whole box of Belgian chocolates. I am. Really. And a whole bowl of whipped cream. And after that I'm going to have 6 creme brulees. And then something else I can't think of quite yet but it will be just as ridiculously wonderful. I'm starting to swoon...
  • edited December 2008
    Oh and huge cinnamon rolls....Made from scratch of course.....they would go nicely with a big mug of hot tea. Maybe then a really big piece of cheese cake.....

I'm thinking the possibilities are endless.....I mean think about it.....

Boo, sit down......don't want you to hit your head when you swoon:p
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    German Chocolate Cake sounds good. And ribs for dinner! I wonder if they make a veggie variety.
  • edited December 2008
    Oh my gosh! Good thought! German Chocolate upside down cake makes German Chocotate cake seem calm......It's awesome! I forgot about it.....
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Is there English Sherry Trifle here anywhere??? :confused:

Les
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    My goodness, we really need to clean up the place. So many unexpected visitors coming in to sample the wassail...

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2008
    Cleanliness is next to loneliness.

A little bit of mess never hurt anyone.

The kitchen is vast. there are two cookers - one is a state-of-the-art grilling, baking, steaming, smoking, barbecue-ing roasting perfect piece of technology, the other is a 200-year-old cream-enamelled aga that smokes, is temperamental, needs constant attention and stoking, and requires a kick now and then to clear the vent.

It gets used the most.

The long oak table in the middle is constantly covered in fresh vegetables needing peeling, cleaning, sorting, washing and preparing for storage or use.
    they're from our vegetable patch, naturally, that we all love and tend....
    it's also covered in Boo's flowers, that bring a warming colour of love.... and elbows.
    Always elbows.
    Propping up cups or chins, and always comfortable.
    There's a marble worksurface where fresh pastry and pasta are made, courtesy respectively, of KW and Fede.

The long window lets in the bright morning light, and the valley beyond is green, wooded and endless....
    There's a bird-table not far away, and it's constantly visited by every conceivable woodland bird....hello...the badgers have been again. All the food's gone from the bowls....or it could have been our wily fox friend.

The larder is crammed with fresh newly-churned butter, cream, eggs from the chickens, cheeses and honey from the hive. All sorts of essentials are ready to hand, to either make a full, five-course, spectacular feast, or a chunky cheese sandwich with a dollop of pickle.
    The kettle is in constant use.
    We have seven.
    The coffee percolator is filling the house with a wonderful fragrance of "wake up and smell"....

It's Christmas, and we're Buddhist.

That hasn't stopped us.

The Buddha in the Meditation room is festooned with festive garlands, and his altar is full of cinnamon and apple spice candles, oranges, nuts, chocolates and christmas crackers.
    This is where we come to meditate, and occasionally, if nobody's there, to contemplate and munch a mince pie......
    The music alternates between the songs of a welsh male-voice choir singing carols, the Kings College Choristers, a full brass band, and the welcome sounds of meditation music, to keep us merry - and Mindful.

The tree in the lounge is decked with wooden decorations, garlands of popcorn and colourful beads, pinecones, baubles and a gold filligree YinYang symbol to top it all off.
    The gently twinkling lights give it a sense of jolly festivity and serenity, all at the same time......
    The wide fireplace is filled with crackling logs and pine-cones, and there's a bowl of marshmallows and toasting forks hung up for anyone to use..... there are hooks fixed over the mantel, for the Christmas stockings..... and we all put a little gift for one another, in each one.....

there's a piano..... and a warm rag-woven rug.... and rocking chairs galore....plus your bean-bag, Boo....

The front hall has an ancient cast-iron wood-burner chugging away and warming the welcome. there's a mirro for final adjustments, and a tall pot full of different walking sticks and brolleys...
    The coathooks seem to be more than able to take the strain, and the entrance cupboard is filled with scarves, gloves, hats, mittens, mufflers and jackets we all use, as we wish. Nothing in here belongs to any one person.
    As with everything, we willingly and lovingly share.

Who's coming out to build a snowman on the front lawn?! :D
    edited December 2008
    Clean enough to be healthy... Cluttered enough to be happy!!! :)
  • edited December 2008
    I would love to join in building a snowman.

What a wonderful place we have here. :)
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    I'll bring my IPod. Though the music suggestions are pleasant, there are times that I WANNA ROCK!!!!!!
    edited December 2008
    You and me can hide in that downstairs room with our 'Def Leppard' and 'Judas Priest'... maybe a little 'Led Zepplin' and 'Cream'...
  • edited December 2008
    Hang on ........ I've got one foot in wellie, trying to get the other one on while I pull on one of my hand-knitted woolly hats and wrap my shawl around me and then I am out to help with the snowman.

And when he is built I'll come in and see to the hot drinks and then listen to the rock music ...... I'm a bit partial to Led Zep, AC/DC and Deep Purple myself.

And yes, it is a wonderful place. Why would we want to spend Christmas anywhere else?
    edited December 2008
    Well we could have a rockin' good Christmas...

Let it Rock, Let it Rock, Let it Rock!!! :rocker:
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    The Who, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors. I can bring some new metal bands you've never heard of.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    How could I forget the first lady of Rock n' Roll. Janis Joplin. I just love her. "Oh lord, won't you buy me a mercedes benz"
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Knitwitch,
    When I was 14, I went to my first concert. It was Aerosmith all drugged up (yawn) and this little known band called AC/DC. Bon Scott was still alive and the show was phenomenal. Aerosmith could have stayed back stage for all I cared and AC/DC could have been the all night. Though I grieve at never seeing Queen while Freddie Mercury was alive, I got to see AC/DC with Bon Scott. "LET THERE BE ROCK!!"
  • edited December 2008
    Oh yes Queen and Janis ...... I've already earmarked Don't Stop Me Now for my commemeration service.

OK - a rocking good time for all of us ...... and there is mulled wine in the hallway on the iron stove. The smell of cinnamon and cloves must be driving you all nuts!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2008
    I would love to join in building a snowman.

What a wonderful place we have here. :)
    I haven't even started on the dining room - or the upstairs....! :D

The verandah runs all the way around the house, and has steps down to the ground on all four sides.... Just by the steps down to the back, outside the kitchen, we have a great outdoor cooking area, complete with stone sink, a baking oven, granite block food preparation area and a pit for an open fire. The barbecue goes without saying....
    There is a large comfortable seating area, and a couple of good sturdy wooden benches and a table to eat off.

Everyone has their own bit of garden, but it's all cohesive, because we all love what we do. And we help each other till and sow, weed and tend....
    At the bottom of the garden, just under the trees, there is a large stone statue of the Buddha, and other statues too.
    These make everyone feel right at home, and comfortable with where they're at.....

Look back at the house....
    KW's on the verandah, holding a tray with steaming mugs of hot chocolate and a plate piled high with mince pies......

I gotta get one of those big 'ranchero' metal triangles..... "grub's up!!"
  • edited December 2008
    And the mincemeat is home made!

And oh damn I've still got my wellies on but the snowman looks good - who put my hat on him?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    While I was reading Fede's description I was floored when I came to part about the music. A Welsh male choir! I can't think of anything better for this time of year. My year abroad in Wales made me fall in love with those choirs and for some reason I always cry when I hear them now. A close second would be the King's College choir. (You have wonderful taste, Fede! Lol!!) I still have a beat up old tape recording of Christmas hymns sung by that choir and I cherish it. SO good!!

And now that you're all talking about rock I couldn't help laughing. I love all those bands! Especially Led Zep, Deep Purple, Jimi, Janis, The Doors, Queen. I'd like to add some Stones in there somewhere too.

This place is amazing! I'm going to hang out with Fede in our lovely kitchen (can we have a fireplace in there, too?) and listen to that beautiful music for a while. I need some peace at the moment. I won't cook though, for all our sakes. :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2008
    The deer are coming around again. Do we have any apples for them?
    edited December 2008
    Brigid wrote: »
    The deer are coming around again. Do we have any apples for them?

Lots of apples... but no Apples!!! :)
    edited December 2008
    Jerbear wrote: »
    How could I forget the first lady of Rock n' Roll. Janis Joplin. I just love her. "Oh lord, won't you buy me a mercedes benz"

And Les joins in... "my friends all drive Porches, I must make amends..."
  • edited December 2008
    I think we should have a fire place in every room......and a fire pit outside.

Deep Purple, wow brings back memories. When I was 16 and my best friend was 15 she would listen to Deep Purple so much I thought I would scream at the time. Not that I didn't love them but there were other bands too. Now it just brings back wonderful memories for me...those were the days

We always closed our evenings of music with these 3 songs....

1st Layla
    2nd Free Bird
    and the last song of the night....Stairway to Heaven

on a rockin stereo that shook the windows and vibrated the floors......still have that stereo.........lol
  • edited December 2008
    But right now I'm headed to the Kitchen to visit with Fede, Boo......
  • edited December 2008
    Well I 'm chopping up some apples for the deer .....

someone get the next batch of mincepies and cheese straws out of the oven before they burn.

And nip downstairs and ask the boys if they want any more hot chocolate.
    edited December 2008
    We always closed our evenings of music with these 3 songs....

1st Layla
    2nd Free Bird
    and the last song of the night....Stairway to Heaven

on a rockin stereo that shook the windows and vibrated the floors......still have that stereo.........lol

Three of the all time great songs to be sure...
  • edited December 2008
    When we are done with our hot chocolate and finished feeding apples to the deer....Any one up for building snow forts and having a good old fashion snowball fight....

But no putting snow down my neck........I just hate that!

Then we can curl up by the fire and get warm all over again with hot chocolate, hot tea, the fresh mincepies and cheese straws that KW made....
    edited December 2008
    And Jer and I will break out the acoustic guitars, and lull you all with some CSN and James Taylor...
  • edited December 2008
    I'm up for a snowball fight but ... no knocking the head off the snowman because I always get soppily fond of them ... and no ganging up on me and putting snow down my drawers because I hate that!

And I'll break out the bodhran to accompany the guitars.
    edited December 2008
    Aye Begorra... Then a few Gaelic tunes and a tin whistle will also be in order...
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    I have almost every "recorded" (not live) on my IPod of Queen so were in good shape there. That band was terribly underrated in the U.S. Sure, 'Hot Space' was not to the U.S.'s liking, but the albums after that were fine. I cry when I hear "Who Wants to Live Forever" and "The Show Must Go On".

If you have seen the movie "Shaun of the Dead", they beat a corpse to the beat of "Don't Stop Me Now" near the end. It's hysterical to watch!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Les,
    My personal favorite of Janis' is "Ball and Chain". I can play that straight through for an hour and not get tired of it. Just a masterpiece of emotion.
    edited December 2008
    My problem is that as soon as I say "That's my favourite", I remember something else and say "No, that's my favourite", when I remember something else and say "No, that's my favourite", when I remember something else and say "No, that's my favourite", when I remember something else and say "No, that's my favourite", when I remember something else and say "No, that's my favourite", when I remember something else and say "No, that's my favourite", when....

Oh... You know what I mean!!! :)
    edited December 2008
    Well all this hard rock is all very well, but as long as you don't play them all at the same time......It'll scare the deer....

The fireplace in the kitchen is a raised affair, with a stout chain hanging down to hold the stewpot..... Like the traditional Patele hawaiian stew, this never runs out, nor ever goes cold..... you just keep adding to the pot.....whatever takes your fancy......

(some patele stews {that originally came to Hawaii with Puerto Ricans} have been found to contain tiny fragments of ingredients that date back over 100 years......)

What do our bedrooms look like then? :)
  • edited December 2008
    Oh the bedrooms...........hmmmmmmm are there enough rooms to each have our own or do with share with a roomy?

I must ponder this one.......
  • edited December 2008
    DON'T look in my bedroom. Just don't!

edited December 2008
    My bedroom has it's own fireplace... and a large 4 poster bed with a down comforter and big fluffy pillows... (eat your heart out) :)
  • edited December 2008
    My bed is a Japanese style bed, low to the floor with a soft comforter in Eggplant and lots of pillows. My night stand has a good reading lamp on it since I have a few books that I've brought in from the Attic to read. In the corner I have a small alter with my favorite Kwan Yin statue and a few candles.
    I have a wonderful view from my windows......very peaceful and simplistic
  • edited December 2008
    (sound of scuffling, rootling and banging behind the door)

Ooo thought I'd lost them...... What the hell is that doing there? .... Crikey, better take them back to the library......... Blimey there is an ex husband or two in here.

(creak as the door opens and my head pops around) This might take some time .... come back tomorrow!
    edited December 2008
    James Taylor's "You've got a friend"..... I vote we make that one of our favourite Anthems... thanks for that one Les.... Play that one again......

Christmas day is over, and it's Boxing day.....but I've made a traditional Italian dish for everyone for this evening....
    Fresh, creamy Buffalo Mozarella, with bright, ripe beefsteak tomatoes for a starter, Gnocchi with a rich tomato and basil sauce, crusty olive bread and a good bottle of barolo wine for those who'd like a drop...2004...... Then Zabaione for dessert.....

We're also braiding the onions (at long last), sorting the garlic, cleaning the parsnips and preparing the brussel sprouts for blanching and freezing.... and we're all in the kitchen singing "the twelve days of Christmas"...and would those who like to add their own bawdy, slightly rude and innuendoed lyrics - kindly teach everyone else, so that at least we can all sing the same words - ?!

"On the first day of christmas, my true love gave to me......"

My bedroom is a hub of tranquility...My bedhead is against the bare stone wall, where I have a huge tapestry of Tara hanging up. I have an altar over my fireplace, with all my own favourite efigies, candles and precious items....and at the far end of my room, under a big bright window, is my craft bench, where I make all my own Seasonal greetings cards, my Christmas decorations (and stuff for other times of the year) and do all my decorative wrapping. It's my area for painting and creating....I've got cupboards where everything is neatly stored and sorted, because, hard to believe, I actually hate clutter..... I have all types of hooks, lines, beams and poles for hanging my craftwork up to dry.... and baskets and baskets of things I find... little stones, pine cones, twigs, leaves...all used to create pretty things.... which I then can't bear to part with.

What an idiot. :lol:

Near the fire, held by a sturdy chain from a thick oak beam, is a hanging "egg" wicker chair, that turns slowly, whilst I can curl up and hide in it, and just get lost in a book, or in my meditation.....
    Everything at the moment is rich red and gold and tartan, in keeping with the season...I have my oil lamps lit, and my candles, and my own tiny personal christmas tree with twinkling lights....
    But as the seasons change, so does the decor....bright apple green and primrose yellow in the spring - dazzling summer white and sky-blue in the summer, and tawny fawn, mushroom, moss and dark green for the autumn....
    Right now, my curtains are richly brocaded and long, and end in a rumpled heap of fabric on the floor, under the windows....and by contrast in the summer, they're gauzy gossamer cloth, that billows in the breeze.....

I love my room.
  • edited December 2008
    OK you can come in now.

I don't like mess but it seems to follow me around. Whenever I have a complete clear-up, I go back three days later and the mess seems to have caught up with me again.

My room is a gateway to another place - a grove with a waterfall on one side. The season dictates the decor - mostly it is summer, warm and hazy with bees buzzing all over the place and wild flowers growing under the trees. Just sometimes it is a winter wonderland with everything covered in frost, sparkling and bright.

Some of the trees have my treasures hanging from them - things I have picked up - feathers, bits of pretty cloth, pictures.

The only way you will know it is my room is that there is a sewing machine on a bench under a tree and a cave that is overflowing with material and bags of knitting wool. I sleep in the cave which is next to the waterfall. There is a stone shelf with skins on it which is my bed. Nothing much else - a table and an oil lamp and a cooking fire with a cauldron over it.

Mostly you will notice the animals. There are hundreds of them and they are my friends. If you come into my room, please respect them, it is their home too.