Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Seasons Greetings

edited January 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all xx

Comments

• edited December 2008
    And to you dear - whatever you are celebrating, may it be happy and bright
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Half an hour to midnight and the children's presents are piled by their chairs for the morning. Their stockings are ready - even tho' Tom will be 21 next week and Jack is 18.

But I stay up till midnight for my annual chat with the cats and the squirrels when they can talk. We only get an hour so there is much to catch up on. I'm sorry that Bilbo the Tortoise (not 'turtle', dear hearts) is asleep because I should really value a chat with him.

Did I share my Christmas story what I wrote for the kids twenty years ago or so in which an animal speaks?

To all of you: joy. For all of us: liberation has come, the Night draws to an end and Day is dawning, the Unconquered Sun.

May Odin All-Father bring us each what we most need, and may we all know happiness and the causes of happiness.
  • edited December 2008
    Ah bless you Pilgrim.

I have just laid down on the floor to listen to what my ancient labrador has to say because he won't speak again this side of the Rainbow Bridge ...; and if I tried to persuade him to go to the Nice Lady, it is only because he is failing daily and rushing towards complete incompetence.

There is a magic this night.

There is a magic that we have done our celebration and are in that yawning chasm between midwinter and New Year, that abyss of potential boredom before we can sensibly take up new hobbies, get rid of old habits and adopt new customs .....but we are still open to an opportunity.

There is magic that at this time of year we can plaster over all ills that caused hurt. There is a magic that allows us to be more forgiving. There is a magic that causes us to be a bit more elastic in our dealings with others ... oh for ffff sake send a card, it might be the only one they get.... There is magic that someone who has been absent for years might come back ... if we believe hard enough and leave a candle in the window. If we make one telephone call we wanted to so many times.

I came away from the baker's with flour on my face today - not because I am beautiful (oh way far away from it) but because the baker is gallant and his wife tolerant .... he was gallant enough to kiss my hand and THEN my cheeks (utterly uncalled for) while telling me my husband wasn't looking .... and it was charming. No snide ...no creepiness ... just the magic of Christmas that even I can have a wibble of hand kissing, handkie waving romanticism for one day a year.

And for New Year I will give his wife the two kisses .............. but it won't be the same.

• edited December 2008
    The Red Feller came through the window out back
    He'd a big fluffy beard and was toting a sack.

He sat in the kitchen and found the good port
    He'd taste, this old feller, as Ma, she had thought.

So Titch went out first as the biggest and said
    "You aren't just a human old man with the sled?"

The answer was plain, "As dogs you know magic -
    Am I bitter or evil? Am I wicked or tragic?"

And all of the dogs, coming out by the fire
    Said - "oh no Sir, you're not, you're a sprite to inspire"

"And how is it now that we find you to chat
    When all year, with our masters, we're worse than a cat?"

"We look and we whine and we send out our thoughts
    But nothing, or maybe just one fifth is caught?"

The Big Feller laughed and said "never you fear
    Your Mum understands you for most all of the year

But if she told Dad all the things in your heads
    I'm sorry my doggies but you would be dead

For unlike these humans you don't disguise thought
    If you wanted to telepath, something you ought

Tis only with witches who ride in your minds
    That you can be open, I think you will find

Except for at Christmas or Yule if you will
    When everyone just wants to eat to their fill

And then human minds will be just like your own
    A feast and a pudding - big bowlful and bone."

So he gave us a bone and he left us a bikkie
    Some chokkies for Mum which we left rather stickie
    And Dad would have had an entire farmhouse goose
    Except that poor Gavroche was out on the loose
    He ate it all up and was sick on the mat

A wonderful Christmas when all's said and that.....
  • edited December 2008
    Happy Holidays

Namaste'
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Happy Holidays

Namasté

There. fixed it for you!! :)
  • edited December 2008
    Thanks Les :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Feliz Navidad! Göd jul! С рождеством! Froeliche Weihnachten! Joyeux Noel! Cristmas-e-shoma mobarak bashad! Vrolijk Kerstfeest! Mele Kalikimaka! Shinnen omedeto! Nadolig Llawen! Nollaig Shona Dhuit! Mitho Makosi Kesikansi!

Oh, and Merry Christmas to you other guys too.

Palzang

• edited December 2008
    Happy Happy New Year to all!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2008
    "And may the best of this Year, be the worst of the next!"
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    The Red Feller came through the window out back
    He'd a big fluffy beard and was toting a sack.

He sat in the kitchen and found the good port
    He'd taste, this old feller, as Ma, she had thought.

So Titch went out first as the biggest and said
    "You aren't just a human old man with the sled?"

The answer was plain, "As dogs you know magic -
    Am I bitter or evil? Am I wicked or tragic?"

And all of the dogs, coming out by the fire
    Said - "oh no Sir, you're not, you're a sprite to inspire"

"And how is it now that we find you to chat
    When all year, with our masters, we're worse than a cat?"

"We look and we whine and we send out our thoughts
    But nothing, or maybe just one fifth is caught?"

The Big Feller laughed and said "never you fear
    Your Mum understands you for most all of the year

But if she told Dad all the things in your heads
    I'm sorry my doggies but you would be dead

For unlike these humans you don't disguise thought
    If you wanted to telepath, something you ought

Tis only with witches who ride in your minds
    That you can be open, I think you will find

Except for at Christmas or Yule if you will
    When everyone just wants to eat to their fill

And then human minds will be just like your own
    A feast and a pudding - big bowlful and bone."

So he gave us a bone and he left us a bikkie
    Some chokkies for Mum which we left rather stickie
    And Dad would have had an entire farmhouse goose
    Except that poor Gavroche was out on the loose
    He ate it all up and was sick on the mat

A wonderful Christmas when all's said and that.....
    Is this one of yours, Knitwitch? Or am I being thick and not recognizing a famous Christmas poem? Because it's absolutely wonderful! I love it, love it, love it!!

I didn't know we could talk to our furry friends for an hour at Christmas! How come nobody told me? I wish I'd seen this thread earlier because I have SO much to talk about with Torcal and Tom. Oh, and Daisy too. Well, maybe especially Daisy. I'd like to know if there's an actual reason why she's so ill tempered and if there's anything I can do to make her feel better.

In the last 20 seconds I've thought of hundreds of things I need to discuss with those cats and I can't believe I have to wait a whole year to do it. Oh well. That'll be something to look forward to. In the meantime I guess we'll just keep going like we usually do. i.e. me blathering on at them like a fool and they enduring the nonsense with great patience and love. Except for Daisy of course, whose disdainful looks I've learned to ignore...for the most part.
  • edited January 2009
    Yes, Boo, it's a Knitwitch original.

And for some of us - that hour is just a bonus, if you know your animals well you can chat to them any time.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited January 2009
    I am owned by six cats, and I learned a long time ago about talking to them...
  • edited January 2009
    Yes Les, that's why I put the line in about "we are worse than cats" ....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2009
    That's hilarious, Les!! Love it!
    edited January 2009
    This is a link to a story about that magical time when even the most dense can hear animals speak:
    The Clever Wish
  • edited January 2009
    I just read your poem Knitwitch.......It's Awesome! Thanks for sharing..
  • edited January 2009
    Thanks Deb - much appreciated.

Simon - your Clever Wish is brilliant.
  • edited January 2009
    Ah bless you Pilgrim.

I have just laid down on the floor to listen to what my ancient labrador has to say because he won't speak again this side of the Rainbow Bridge ...; and if I tried to persuade him to go to the Nice Lady, it is only because he is failing daily and rushing towards complete incompetence.

There is a magic this night.

Well I was right. He has gone. We are not sad. He had a wonderful long life and was in great distress so his onward journey is fine by us.

Journey well Gavroche and come back to us soon.
  • edited January 2009
    Simon, loved the Clever Wish.....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Well I was right. He has gone. We are not sad. He had a wonderful long life and was in great distress so his onward journey is fine by us.

Journey well Gavroche and come back to us soon.
    Goodbye, sweet Gavroche. Thank you for bringing so much joy to my friend.
    edited January 2009
    "Gavroche was a whirlwind. They saw him incessantly, they heard him constantly. He filled the air, being everywhere at once....He vexed the loungers, he excited the idle, he reanimated the weary, provoked the thoughtful, kept some in cheerfulness, others in breath, others in anger, all in motion! Piqued a student, was biting to a working man ; took position, stopped, started on, flitted above the tumult and the effort, leaped from these to those, murmured, hummed, and stirred up the whole train; the fly on the revolutionary coach!"

That's how Victor Hugo describes him in Les Miserables. (En anglais pour ceux qui ne sont pas francophone.) One of the most delightful characters in literature and I rejoice to have learned that the universe can contain a dog of that name too - here or in the Happy Hunting Grounds.
  • edited January 2009
    Thank you for that Simon. Much touched.

In his younger days Gavroche was a bit like that but hampered by his missing leg ..... so now that he has probably got it back, I would bet he is running with the Wild Hunt, just as in the description.