Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Buddha's Omniscience.

2»

Comments

• edited May 2009
    the Buddhas see Reality for what it is. Before you do anything to it. Before effort. Before grasping, before aversion. There must be something about this present Moment that can turn a sentient being into a Buddha. To say he attains anything at all is to slander a Buddha. The Buddhas never attained it. The Sentient beings never lost it. Surrender to what Is. In this everlasting Moment, we will just Be. You are seeking some future moment in which you will be enlightened and that is exactly what prevents realization.
  • edited November 2009
    So this being my first post I hope this makes some sense.. :)

I just wanted to say, regarding the original post regarding the omniscience of the buddha.. I'm not really sure where these claims come from as I haven't read them yet but have heard them.

Whenever I do hear something like this however I have always presumed that, the buddha being selfless and a mind with emptiness, which is like any other mind with emptiness, eg the buddha mind, shared by countless beings throughout time and space; is the omniscience of which they speak.

That is to say that because all beings are actually selfless, we are all really observers of the creation and destruction of all things and as such, are omniscient.

That's just my own understanding however.. I have no idea if that is within the suttas etc. :)

Nice site btw!

As such
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Regarding omniscience what would be the fun for a buddha not to ask for directions ? They may know they would meet some fellow travellers or lost on the way :o