Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ups and Downs of Practice

edited January 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hi, All:
So I've been going through some stresses recently and have found that my practice has suffered. When things are stressful and my mind is agitated, it's very difficult for me to maintain my daily sitting practice. This is particularly the case when I know that I'm the main one that has created the problems. During these times meditation feels like sitting on a pile of red ants.

I have found that it is easiest to be mindful and concentrated, both in my practice and life, when my life is going more smoothly. I do know that, in theory, that a good practice should help us get more difficult times, and that, indeed, those times should be opportunities to grow. However, I often find this hard to do. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience in dealing with this?

Best,
Ben

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Yes dear - I have.

I think it is probably a common problem. It is very easy to be sweetness and light and mindful and all the things we want to be when life is sunny and bright.

It is very difficult when your life is falling apart or there are so many problems that your mind doesn't seem able to still itself for a moment. But those are exactly the times when we need to do it.

Easy to say, hard to do. Believe me when I say I have been there and I know how you feel - but even if you manage to do just a couple of minutes of being "in the moment" it is better than nothing.

There have been times when I have been unable to meditate but when I HAVE managed to get to that still place, it feels like coming home.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2009
    You might want to try Pema Chodron's book, When Things Fall Apart. I would also encourage you to continue to meditate even when it's very difficult. That's really important. And don't place any expectations on the experience. Just do it.

Palzang
  • edited January 2009
    Thanks so much for your comments, Knitwitch and Palzang. Palzang I do really like Pema Chodron and think that rereading some of her stuff is a great idea.

Warmly,
    Ben
  • edited January 2009
    Every time things start to fall apart I go back and read Pema's book When Things Fall Apart....I can not tell you how much that book has helped me. I just wish I could remember it word for word and not have to go back each time to be reminded but it's great that I have it to do so.
    Over the last couple of years that book has got me thru some very hard times..

Great idea Palzang.....
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited January 2009
    Step 1) Sit down.

If I get that far, I can usually do it :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2009
    It's so nice to come home when you've been absent though....
    The comfort of the familiar, reliable and unfailing, is not to be underestimated, nor taken for granted....

You can stop it going from you, but you can't stop it coming to you.....;)

Pema Chodron's "The places that scare you" is equally profound.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Hi, Ben.
    Pema Chodron's teacher, Chogyam Trungpa, is the one that taught me the importance of practicing when things are going badly. I don't have any links to his teachings on this computer but I'm sure you can find them through Google. He used to say that the difficult times offer us the juiciest stuff to practice with so that is when practice is most fruitful.

Take refuge, especially when things are tough. That's what it's there for.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Here's a link to a site called The Chronicles Of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche which is full of his teachings.

Palzang
  • edited January 2009
    I find that when life is a bit fraught, even though I feel I can't meditate, if I DO manage to "still the mind" just for a minute or two it feels so good that it encourages me to do it some more.

Eventually it becomes a therapy. I look forward to doing it because it is a relief from the "cage of monkeys" mind that I have most of the time.