Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Internet Explorer 8

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited June 2009 in General Banter
Internet Explorer 8 was released today. If you use Internet Explorer (also known as "the blue E on my desktop"), I strongly encourage you to upgrade: http://www.microsoft.com/ie8

Faster, safer, and renders web pages better (which makes life easier for web developers like me - the faster people switch, the faster we can faze out support for crappy browsers like IE6 and IE7).

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2009
    Thanks, Lincoln - done! :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2009
    Tried to upload it on my laptop, which currently has windows XP.... but then I get a window telling me it's not a valid file....Why won't it run......? :confused:
    edited March 2009
    It's ok, I found a way through.... I went into Explorer 8 and clicked on 'help & support' then opted for a different route to upload everything.
    It worked.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Repent now! It's Firefox or nothing! ;)

Palzang
  • BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    edited March 2009
    Is IE8 more stable? I've never had an issue with IE until recently, it kept crashing and locking up for no reason that I could see, so I switched to Firefox and sometimes Chrome. I've always like IE because it integrates so seamlessly into Vista.
  • edited April 2009
    I have to throw in a FireFox recommendation here. I'm a web developer and a web surfer and it gets a very positive rating from both points of view as far as ease of use, security and extensions are concerned :)
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited April 2009
    I'm a Firefox user myself (and I use Chrome a bit too), but my goal here was simply to encourage people to upgrade their browser of choice :)
    edited April 2009
    yeh, what is with this Chrome business?
    is it going to erase anything I've saved at the moment?
    Can someone give me the low-down on what it's supposed to do?
    Someone told me that if you install it you lose a lot of saved settings....? :confused:
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Chrome is just another web browser. It can import your Firefox or IE bookmarks when you install it. Either way, your other bookmarks won't go anywhere even if you don't import them to the new browser - they'll still be in your old one.
  • edited May 2009
    I'd prefer to use Chrome, that is, if it were available for the Mac. >.<

I would be willing to give IE8 a test drive but once again it's not available on Macs... So I will stay happily with Firefox. :p
  • edited June 2009
    I use Google Chrome, which is faster and more secure against malware (so say the experts at numerous security forums I've visited).
  • edited June 2009
    oops, I should have mentioned though....

As far as I know, having a windows operating system forces you to keep Internet Explorer on your computer. So it does make sense to have the best version of it anyways. I've had IE8 since the day it came out actually; though never made use of it.
    edited June 2009
    The only glitch I found with IE8 was that initially, it was incompatible with my e-mail program (sky), so I lost all rich formatting (fonts, sizes, styles, etc.) It has now been sorted, but apparently, Sky Help had no idea the problem existed until I brought it to their attention.....
    I'm not sure I entirely believe that, but.... whatever.....:D