Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I don't wanna work

TravisMagoTravisMago Explorer
edited June 2009 in General Banter
I just wanna bang on the drum all day

So, those who know me, might know I used to play poker for a living. Well, that stopped going well, and it seemed to be impossible to continue to do it for a living.

I learned a lot from my challenges with poker, but I have decided to quit doing it for a living, and now I still have bills and need a source of income.

But jobs are scarce, and frankly I don't feel like trying to get one. But I have about 15,000 in bills built up!

I wonder what will happen if I continue to ignore them.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    One: The National Law of your country will have something to say about it.
    Two:I would consider what the Buddha says to householders about their responsibilities in the Anguttara Nikaya.
    It also entails being responsible with money and facing those responsibilities wisely.
    Unless you have the ability - both cultural and spiritual - to become a wandering ascetic - I'd consider Right Livelihood.....
  • edited June 2009
    TravisMago wrote: »
    I just wanna bang on the drum all day

So, those who know me, might know I used to play poker for a living. Well, that stopped going well, and it seemed to be impossible to continue to do it for a living.

I learned a lot from my challenges with poker, but I have decided to quit doing it for a living, and now I still have bills and need a source of income.

But jobs are scarce, and frankly I don't feel like trying to get one. But I have about 15,000 in bills built up!

I wonder what will happen if I continue to ignore them.

Work is good for you. It gives life a lot more meaning when you know you are contributing something even minimally useful to society. Jobs are tough to find, but it shouldn't be an excuse not to look for one. You just have to make yourself more hirable than the next guy.

Laziness is a terrible thing.
  • TravisMagoTravisMago Explorer
    edited June 2009
    I am not lazy so much as... well I really don't know the word to describe what I am. I guess "listless" is pretty accurate.

Basically, I don't do things unless I want to. So generally it comes down to figuring out what I actually want.

But in matters such as occupation... I just can't figure out what I want. I would rather sit and be mindful than work, most of the time.

But I guess this is just something I will have to get over.
  • edited June 2009
    1. Oh, why don't you work
    Like other men do?
    How the hell can I work
    When the skies are so blue?
    Chorus:
    Hallelujah! I'm a bum,
    Hallelujah bum again,
    Hallelujah! give us a handout
    To revive us again.
    2. Oh, I love my boss
    And my boss loves me,
    And that is the reason
    I'm so hungry.
    3. Well, springtime has come
    And I'm just out of jail,
    Without any money,
    Without any bail.
    4. Oh why don't you save all
    The money you earn?
    Well if I didn't eat,
    I'd have money to burn. 5. Oh, I like my boss,
    He's a good friend of mine,
    And that's why I'm standing
    Out in the breadline.
    6. I can't buy a job
    'cause I ain't got the dough
    So I ride in a boxcar
    'cause I'm a hobo.
    7. I went to a house and
    I knocked on the door,
    The lady said, "Scram, bum,
    You've been here before!"
    8. I went to a house, and
    I asked for some bread;
    A lady came out, says,
    "The baker is dead."
    9. I went to a bar and
    I asked for a drink,
    They gave me a glass
    And they showed me the sink. 10. Oh why don't you work
    Like other folks do?
    How can I get a job
    When you're holding down two? 11. Whenever I get all
    The money I earn,
    The boss will be broke
    And to work he must turn.

12. When springtime does come,
    Oh won't we have fun,
    We'll throw up our jobs
    And we'll go on the bum.
  • edited June 2009
    TravisMago, I can't help but wonder (based on your writings here) if you're a bit ADD, ADHD, or have some pre-diagnosed level of aspergers syndrome. Actually I have aspergers, it's a form of autism where you're not all impaired and unaware, and it's very commonly misdiagnosed as "ADHD". Frankly I sometimes wonder if ADD/ADHD even exist, but are actually misdiagnosed forms of Aspergers with hyperactive or attention deficit tendencies.

My doctor (who's an incredibly brilliant, well-read, and awesomely nerdy guy) was telling me how all 3 of those conditions - 4 if you count the inevitable depression that comes with it - tend to overlap, and the diagnosis is kind of an arbitrary decision by the doctor. He prescribed me Concerta, which is slow-release methylphenidate (same stuff as Ritalin), and it's helped me concentrate and actually stay on task. But then I suppose it does that for most people anyway.

ANYWAY! I think it's worth asking your doc about Ritalin or Concerta (the later is extremely expensive) and seeing if you can concentrate with that. I know all-too-well the deep-seated hatred of going to work; wasting half your day (in theory, half your waking life) on mundane repetitive tasks that don't challenge your intellect. But a focused mind (AND BRAIN) can help you figure out what to do with your life to make a livelihood AND feel intellectually satisfied.
  • TravisMagoTravisMago Explorer
    edited June 2009
    I already do take ADD medication :P
  • edited June 2009
    I am totally with you Travis and I can't say that there is an answer other than to keep trying. A behavioral therapist might be able to help you. Mine has helped do wonders for me in real life but in work... not so much. I have OCD, ADHD, Depression and some sort of attachment thing from apparently before the age of 5. It makes work next to impossible. But I try. And I have come to the point that is all I can do. Is go out there, throw the ball as best I can ... and hope that it rains. Or something like that.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2009
    all I can do. Is go out there, throw the ball as best I can ... and hope that it rains.
    I love that line! It should be in a song. It's wonderful.
  • edited June 2009
    somewhere, somehow I picked up a little bit of Russian fatalism. I am remembered by the line in the movie Bull Durham that went "sometimes you win, sometimes you lose... and sometimes it rains."